Home Charging

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
mclarenpaul

Home Charging

Post by mclarenpaul » Mon May 28, 2018 1:25 pm

I've seen many different threads which end up in discussions about home charging and many discussing different solutions for those with a 3 phase wiring system in their home.

As I normally garage my car overnight, I'm seriously considering the radical option of doing nothing i.e. not installing a home charging wall box and just plugging into a normal mains socket. My commute is around 30km per day and with the odd trip here and there, I might go up to 60km. However, I figure that if I can plug in my car for around 10 hours per night (which will be the case most nights), I'll get about 100km charge so will be in credit most days. Even if I'm almost empty after a long journey, as long as I can plug it in overnight, my credit will soon build up where I'll be back to 80% charge again. If I need the charge again more quickly, I could always take it to a DCFC for an hour and I'll be fine.

It'll also save me almost €2,000 to install the wall box. When more info and more options come out to make use of the 3 phases available, I might then think to install one.

I know everyone's case is different and my commute is less than the average persons. but I was wondering if others will consider the same.

MjrPayne

Re: Home Charging

Post by MjrPayne » Mon May 28, 2018 2:23 pm

First I thought that I won't use home charging at all or just before long trip to top the battery. Plan was that when visiting a city to plug it in Type 2 charger in a mall etc with 22 kw. But then the news came out that I-Pace has only 1-phase charge of 7 kw, the plan change. So I'm planning to get a home charger, probably 3-phase to be ready in future hoping next car after I-Pace has 3-phase charging. It's only 2-300€ more than 1-phase so better do it straight away than pay another 1000+ € if/when need arise for 3-phase charging.

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Mon May 28, 2018 2:28 pm

Seems like a good and fair approach - maybe investigate possibilities to charge at work. Myself I am now also in wait & see mode - I have a short commute (15km round trip) and can charge at work so for daily commute so no real need for charger at home.

Tricky part comes with weekend trips going places, airport trips and/or visiting family whereby if there are multiple trips it would be good to charge quickly at home between days instead of having to find and wait at a DC charge station.

For cross Europe trips you anyway are depended on DC charging but still would be good to leave home with a full battery.
I-pace S + HUD, Drive Pack, Light Oyster Sport Seats, Elec Tailgate, DAB+ & heated windshield I Ceasium Blue & 18" wheels I Ordered 25th April I Produced 8th October I Delivered 28th October

okus

Post by okus » Mon May 28, 2018 4:34 pm

It's all about safety and comfort. Wallbox is one level higher in safety since it communicates with the car charger and can change charging current according to the available capacity, restart charging or even stop in dangerous situation.
The comfort of fast charging is in no worries about charging. The battery is always full in the morning no matter how empty you plug it in. No need to go charging for one hour.
One friend of mine after one year of everyday using BMW i3 told me: Car and driving are excellent but I started to hate everyday charging management. He has 3,3kW (220V/16A) charger ...
i-Pace HSE | Firenze Red | 20" | Air suspension | Performance seats | ordered May 15th 2018

mclarenpaul

Post by mclarenpaul » Mon May 28, 2018 7:00 pm

The problem for me is that even with a fast charger, as my home is 3 phase, I would only be able to get a bit over 3kW with a fast charger. Not sure it's really worth the expense until things get sorted out. However, I've spotted what I believe is a 32A socket near my parking spot at work, so may ask the landlord if they'd mind me using it. I could then get a mobile charger (like the Juice Booster 2) to charge while I'm at work. Not sure if the landlord would be keen to do this though - they've already refused to install proper charging points.

Paul J.

Post by Paul J. » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:41 pm

(A little off topic, but) This thread seems as good as any to place this image, taken from the Top Gear India twitter feed:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TopGearMagIn ... 4401879040
Corris Grey First Edition

Kymo

Post by Kymo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Dear Paul,
The charger in attached link, wil combine 2 of your 16A phases to one "32A" phase.

https://www.snelautoladen.nl/product/ma ... ype-2-6kw/

This will provide a higher home loading speed without having to upgrade your home network to 3x 32A.

This option I have to investigate, but I think it will provide the same solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlQcj6yU_Dc

Kind regards
Kymo

ACB1

Post by ACB1 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:47 pm

Paul,

Another solution: a charger for DC fastcharging. There are some chargers from 3x16A AC input to 10 KW DC output. So the I-pace can load 10KW an hour.
http://www.setec-power.com/china/10kw-c ... le-charger

This is also a possible way.
Order I-Pace FE :P, Ordered March; 1e Delivery end October / begin November => now December / Build date: Nov 4.

mclarenpaul

Post by mclarenpaul » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:08 pm

Thanks Kymo, Thanks ACB1,

The Magnum Smart Charger Type 2 looks very interesting and the price point is quite reasonable. Would be interesting to hear from anyone who has installed this and has experience with it. I guess that I would just need to have a CEE 16-5 socket installed in my garage to be able to use it. I also wonder if, once you have this socket installed, if you need an electrician to install the charger, or is it just plug and play.

I had a look at the juice booster, but I believe this doesn't convert multiple phases to 1 phase, so I don't believe it would be any different from a normal wall charger.

ACB1, I saw already that you already ordered the setec solution on another thread you posted. Do you have any experience with it? It also looks a great option, but a bit more pricey. Have you received it already and been able to try it out? From what I heard, it makes a bit of noise due to the cooling.

MjrPayne

Post by MjrPayne » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:12 pm

Can't say what kind of regulations in different countries but main rule is: "If you can plug it, do it. If you need to screw it, ask electrician"

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”