Real world range?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
DashDave

Real world range?

Post by DashDave » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:26 am

Hi Everyone. I'm a new iPace owner and have had my car for a couple of weeks. I see that the driving range is listed by Jaguar as 290 miles, but I'm seeing a much reduced estimate after a full charge.

I know the range depends on a lot of factors, but I seems to be seeing an estimate of only 235 miles, with a recorded actual distance to 50% charge of only 95 miles ( 190 miles range )

What range do other members get and how reliable is the "Range" showing on the car? Also does the charging station affect the range? So far I have only been able to charge at 7.5kw and an 11kW stations, as that's all that's available locally. :lol:

I have learned to pre-condition the car, but it does not seem to make any difference, so far.

Dave
iPace SE - Red

SammyD

Re: Real world range?

Post by SammyD » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:57 am

DashDave wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:26 am
Hi Everyone. I'm a new iPace owner and have had my car for a couple of weeks. I see that the driving range is listed by Jaguar as 290 miles, but I'm seeing a much reduced estimate after a full charge.

I know the range depends on a lot of factors, but I seems to be seeing an estimate of only 235 miles, with a recorded actual distance to 50% charge of only 95 miles ( 190 miles range )

What range do other members get and how reliable is the "Range" showing on the car? Also does the charging station affect the range? So far I have only been able to charge at 7.5kw and an 11kW stations, as that's all that's available locally. :lol:

I have learned to pre-condition the car, but it does not seem to make any difference, so far.

Dave
Welcome to the forum and to driving the I-Pace.

Range is very subjective and depends upon many things including the terrain and how heavy your right foot is.
It is also about the worst time of the year to start driving the car. Batteries don't like getting too cold or too hot. All EV's suffer range reduction in winter. I'd expect 200-220 miles at this time of year.
The I-Pace can't charge at 11kW but will take 7.5kW. Where are you in the UK that there are no DC chargers?
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S19B_* Maps : whatever is current.

SteveA

Post by SteveA » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:20 pm

DashDave wrote:

Dave
Hi Dave. What you are experiencing is normal for this time of year. Currently on a long motorway journey sticking to speed limits and no hard acceleration (probably averaging 60MPH due to road works) I am seeing about 210miles on a full charge with Preconditioning. Wheel size will have an impact on range, I am on 20 inch. In the summer I get close to 240miles with normal driving but I know the car is capable of close to 300miles if driven very carefully, I have tried it but after 200miles of not exceeding 50MPH with the range meter (GOM) telling me I had 100miles left, I decided I had proved the point and continued my journey at normal motorway speeds.
The charging station will not affect range. As for the range displayed by the GOM, I have not reset mine for about 6K miles so it is accustomed to my driving style and I find it very accurate. If your car is relatively new then your GOM will likely be showing quite a bit more range than you actually have, this will correct itself in time unless you keep resetting it. I am not sure how much impact Preconditioning has, I have only used it once and my consumption in the early part of my journey was still quite high. I need to experiment a bit with this but it must have some positive impact if the battery is being warmed while I am still plugged in rather than during my journey.
I Pace EV400 SE, Yulong white, options: Oyster leather, 20' wheels, MY19, delivered 03/2019
InControl: S19B_19.40.4-436082 | Telematics: Version not showing

Billy Bunter

Post by Billy Bunter » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:01 pm

DashDave wrote:
.... Also does the charging station affect the range? So far I have only been able to charge at 7.5kw and an 11kW stations, as that's all that's available locally.....
Don’t recognise the “7.5kW” as a common type of public station but 11kW are very common, usually 3 phase 16 Amp supply
3 phases x 16 Amp x 230 volt = about 11,000 W

Since the iPace can only use 1 of those 3 phases, it will only charge at 1 x 16 x 230 = about 3.7kW
If you can find a 22kW station then it’ll probably be 3 phase 32 Amp (iPace charges at 7.4kW)
I suppose single phase 32A stations are a possibility, which would be the same 7.4kW which might be your 7.5kW....
SE, Firenze Red, Black Pack & Black 20” wheels, Air Suspention, HUD, ACC, DAB+

anorak

Post by anorak » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:42 am

DashDave wrote:

Dave
Hi Dave and welcome.

I average 190-200 miles range in these temperatures and 230-240 in the warmer months. That's with a mix of journey types over the last month, 35mph o/a average speed.

And I'm on 18" wheels so you're doing fine if you're on 20"s. You'll have the spring / summer to look forward too where you'll see your range creep up.

Your range estimate display (aka Guess-O-Meter or GOM) will slowly adjust itself downward over the next few weeks. It will probably almost always be slightly optimistic though, unless you're on an economy cruise. Or in heavy traffic.
I Pace EV400 S, Caesium blue, Oyster leather, 18" wheels
MY19, delivered 01/2019
IMC: S19B_19.40.4-436082 || Telematics: 17.2
Now on its 2nd front EPIC

DashDave

Post by DashDave » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:44 pm

Thanks everyone. Good advice and practical info. I now see that its much more weather related than I first thought. In my local area, Lancashire, England, we are a little short of public chargers. Within 10 miles, only 1x 50kW ( limited to 90 mins use) and 6 x 7 kw ( limited to 3 hours use) pretty useless if you are very low on charge.

Local authorities seem to think that ANY charger is good, without thinking about the practicalities of long range travel with EV. I suspect the council staff don't understand the electric charge technologies and just go for more low power units, rather than thinking about the way in which EV are going to be used. Or maybe its a tick in a box to say that they have EV cherge points locally. :)
iPace SE - Red

scm

Post by scm » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:43 pm

Low power units are cheaper to install, I expect.

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:10 pm

DashDave wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:44 pm

In my local area, Lancashire, England, we are a little short of public chargers. Within 10 miles, only 1x 50kW ( limited to 90 mins use) and 6 x 7 kw ( limited to 3 hours use) pretty useless if you are very low on charge.
Dave - I also live in Lancs and in fact there are a few on here that do or live just over the borders, there are rapid chargers in Lancashire, mainly Booth supermarkets (Instavolts) and the like, however, I have never had the need for a rapid charger locally, why would you in your local area if you have home charging. If I did need one, there is also a Polar rapid charger only 2 minutes from home at my vets believe it or not and my village isn't a big place. I am much more interested in rapid chargers when travelling longer distances.

I can see where people who do not have off street parking to enable them to have their own charger, but other than that, cannot see why one would need one close to home?
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 in Black with full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc etc
InControlTouch Pro: S18D Updated 31.07.19 Updated 20.09.19 & 21.10.19 to S19B Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2?? - H228

emgf

Post by emgf » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:13 pm

scm wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:43 pm
Low power units are cheaper to install, I expect.
I got some prices yesterday at a convention:
— a 22kw AC chargers starting price is 4000€
— a 22 kw DC chargers starting price is 8000€ ( it used to be 2 or 3 times more )
SE Yulong White , light oyster interior , 20" Gloss Black , since October 9th 2018 , IMC: S19B_19.40.4-436082 Telematics 16.2

DashDave

Post by DashDave » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:29 am

Hi Chris
We do have have a a local Booths ( Clitheroe ) but so far no chargers. I've been testing local chargers, as I'm waiting for the home charger to be installed. There's been an issue with our consumer unit. Currently charging off a 13 amp socket!! :)
iPace SE - Red

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”