Electricity Supplies

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Coggeshallman

Electricity Supplies

Post by Coggeshallman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:07 am

I expect this subject has been aired before but who are the cheapest (and best) electricity suppliers?
I have been looking at Octopus, it seems a good deal, I am at present with E ON who seem very expensive by comparison. Has anybody switched to Octopus?
Corris Grey, Oyster Interior, Panoramic Roof, Front Fogs, Ambient Lighting.

Re: Electricity Supplies

Post by ****** » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:37 am

Coggeshallman wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:07 am
I expect this subject has been aired before but who are the cheapest (and best) electricity suppliers?
I have been looking at Octopus, it seems a good deal, I am at present with E ON who seem very expensive by comparison. Has anybody switched to Octopus?
Quite a few here have. EDF is also quite popular but I calculated that for me Octopus worked out cheaper. If you charge less than 6 hours per night Octopus will work out generally cheaper. More than 6 hours and EDF will likely be cheaper.

I did a video about my Octopus switch which may help. If you do switch over, you can use my referral link (https://share.octopus.energy/ideal-mink-569) and you and I both get £50 credited to our accounts when you make the switch.

https://youtu.be/Zkwrb_bKu8w

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:08 am

With new energy suppliers especially make sure you are not going to have a credit balance at the end of the contract, some have gone out of business leaving the customer as a unsecured creditor.
But then if you’re charging an EV bills will be higher anyway
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior promised for May or June or July or ———-

RichT

Post by RichT » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:11 am

My view is that if you can afford an IPace then the variation in domestic unit cost is irrelevant.
So (IMO) why would you not use one of the two properly green suppliers Good Energy or Ecotricity?
Well, I can see that perhaps some people are disenchanted with Ecotricity but their domestic
electricity works just fine.
I am of course basing my opinion on the recent Which article. Other opinions are equally valid.

Post by ****** » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:43 am

RichT wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:11 am
My view is that if you can afford an IPace then the variation in domestic unit cost is irrelevant.
So (IMO) why would you not use one of the two properly green suppliers Good Energy or Ecotricity?
Well, I can see that perhaps some people are disenchanted with Ecotricity but their domestic
electricity works just fine.
I am of course basing my opinion on the recent Which article. Other opinions are equally valid.
Not sure about EDF but Octopus are a green supplier.

Quakered

Post by Quakered » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:00 pm

When I signed up for the EDF Go tariff they told me that the electricity was "green". I replied that I assumed this was from their nuclear stations and she stated that it was all from renewals. I confess I had no problem with it coming from nuclear and we must all recognise that there is no way it can all be renewal. What where would they get this renewable energy on a windless night? Just greenwash!
SE Firenze Red, Oyster leather, glass roof, HUD, Air Suspension, delivered 6/19

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:18 pm

At the risk of stirring up a Jaguar's lair...

The leccy that you use (as in the electrons) probably won't be from a green source. Someone else is getting those green coloured electrons.
As one poster here said, the grid is dirty.

To me it does not matter. I'm paying for green leccy. As long as my supplier is putting at least the amount of leccy that I use into the grid then I'm happy. YMMV naturally
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S20A_20.07.5-507626 Maps : whatever is current.

10cc

Post by 10cc » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:37 pm

Hi all I am with Ecotricity at home (actually got a couple of charges from their units while out and about recently too - what a bonus)!

If you are very interested in the green side of all this, which I guess most of us are as we have bought I-Paces, below is a very interesting email I received from Ecotricity:

Hi Kevin,

I thought you’d be interested to know that consumer champions Which? have just released a new report that looks into the green claims that a lot of energy companies make. Out of about forty suppliers they only found two to be genuinely green – Ecotricity is, of course, one of them.

It’s a complex and difficult question – what makes an energy company truly green?

Which? found that all but two of the energy companies claiming to be green are not buying green energy itself - they are just buying certificates known as REGOs (Renewable Energy Guarantees of Origin). And only one company also builds new sources of green energy - no prizes for guessing who that is... :)
Bills into mills
Ecotricity is a ‘not for dividend’ company, we use the money our customers spend on their energy bills to build new sources of green energy – no other energy company has this unique ‘bills into mills’ model.

Just buying green energy from a generator that already exists isn’t good enough. We need to build more green energy, and harnessing energy bills to make this happen makes perfect sense. Never more so, given the short amount of time we have to tackle the climate crisis.

As a customer of Ecotricity, you’re making the biggest difference that you can to the Climate Crisis – through your energy bills.

Thanks for being with us.

Cheers,

Dale Vince
Ecotricity
June 2019 MY20 I-Pace HSE In caesium blue with black pack, privacy glass, 20" gloss black wheels, panoramic roof + other bits! :ugeek:

Mitsubishi 3000GTO grey import from Japan :mrgreen:

RichT

Post by RichT » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:04 pm

It is worth reading the Which article for one view of the situation -
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/09/ho ... gy-tariff/
(but remember as a single source it is unverified).

badgb21

Post by badgb21 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:53 pm

I've spent the last 5 weeks researching gas/elec supplier(s).

First step I did was to say, I want a dual fuel supplier (dealing with 2 would be beyond my patience!)
Second step; Faffing about with two electricity rates and making sure to charge at certain times or single - I went single rate, but will charge overnight when I can to do my bit for elec loading.
Do you want green, proper green or green-green or just any old contract. I went green, my level of greenness stops there.
Needs to be fixed for at least a year.

So with a wonderful spreadsheet I checked and re-modelled my needs and finally chose a supplier yesterday;
It was E-on! Deal only for new customers and was cheapest for all my criteria.

As for cust serv, we'll find out, but if they're worse than Isupply I'd be surprised.
Note Simplicity came in a close second.

Good luck with your choice and as said above there's not much between the competitive rates, so you won't go broke with any.