Range Decline Following In Control Update

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Grillpan

Re: Range Decline Following In Control Update

Post by Grillpan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:24 pm

This is my experience too.

It’s my first winter in the Jag. My range has dropped from approximately 230 miles in the summer to 205 miles now. The recent rain and significant temperature drop has increased consumption by up to 25% depending on distance/route taken.
Corris Grey HSE, 20” Black Alloys, Air Susp, Pana Roof, Mars Red Seats, Ioniser, Ebony Headlining, Heated Windscreen/Washer Jets. (MY2019)
InControlTouch Pro: S19B Telematics: 14.2 (now with patch)

Post by ***** » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:33 pm

Grillpan wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:24 pm
This is my experience too.

It’s my first winter in the Jag. My range has dropped from approximately 230 miles in the summer to 205 miles now. The recent rain and significant temperature drop has increased consumption by up to 25% depending on distance/route taken.
This is normal and to be expected with any EV.

Do not panic and think something is wrong.

You can mitigate the effect a bit by reducing your speed by 5mph in the winter.

When I had the BMW i3, it suffered with a drop in range of up to 30% in cold winter conditions.

In the winter it becomes much more important with the I-Pace to use preconditioning of the battery before you set off in the morning if you are taking a long trip.

If you don't do more than 150 miles in a day it is not really something to worry about.

When the summer months come back your range will increase again.

Grillpan

Post by Grillpan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:51 pm

Thank you Chewy for sharing your valuable experience. Very useful.
Corris Grey HSE, 20” Black Alloys, Air Susp, Pana Roof, Mars Red Seats, Ioniser, Ebony Headlining, Heated Windscreen/Washer Jets. (MY2019)

JonB

Post by JonB » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:22 pm

I have also had a significant range decline and it isn't about the temperature drop. I do more or less the same 120 mile each way journey most weekends. I fully charge the car before setting out and before returning. When I first got the iPace in January in the winter months the GOM consistently showed in the area of 230plus miles for 100%. The journey is part motorway, part single carriage way and part London traffic. I don't drive either particularly fast or particularly slow and I don't need to prove my masculinity by flooring it away from traffic lights. The point is that I have driven pretty much the same journey in slightly varying conditions on about 40 occasions over the past 10 months. In summer the GOM went up to 240 plus miles for a while on 100%.
Suddenly I am now down at 202 to 206 miles on 100% capacity. Ok, I know the temperature has dropped but that still compares terribly to what I was getting in January/February/March when it was just as cold if not colder.
By way of further proof that this isn't just a GOM issue, my consumption now is consistently 43kWh/100 miles or more for these journeys whereas it used to be in the mid 30's and sometimes better.
Is my battery buggered (see the US forum for quite a lot of people with battery issues being reported), is it just a software issue, or what. In any event unless it is remedied this will be a disaster from my point of view.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Jiner

Post by Jiner » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:47 pm

I think you can reset the GoM back to the factory setting by putting your foot on the brake and the accelerator at the same time for around 10 seconds. The GoM is an average of your recent consumption so if you've had a trip with a heavy right foot.....down it goes.

Post by ***** » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:52 pm

JonB wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:22 pm
I have also had a significant range decline and it isn't about the temperature drop. I do more or less the same 120 mile each way journey most weekends. I fully charge the car before setting out and before returning. When I first got the iPace in January in the winter months the GOM consistently showed in the area of 230plus miles for 100%. The journey is part motorway, part single carriage way and part London traffic. I don't drive either particularly fast or particularly slow and I don't need to prove my masculinity by flooring it away from traffic lights. The point is that I have driven pretty much the same journey in slightly varying conditions on about 40 occasions over the past 10 months. In summer the GOM went up to 240 plus miles for a while on 100%.
Suddenly I am now down at 202 to 206 miles on 100% capacity. Ok, I know the temperature has dropped but that still compares terribly to what I was getting in January/February/March when it was just as cold if not colder.
By way of further proof that this isn't just a GOM issue, my consumption now is consistently 43kWh/100 miles or more for these journeys whereas it used to be in the mid 30's and sometimes better.
Is my battery buggered (see the US forum for quite a lot of people with battery issues being reported), is it just a software issue, or what. In any event unless it is remedied this will be a disaster from my point of view.
Personally I totally ignore the GOM. Jaguar has tried to be too clever with it and caused many an owner sleepless nights with its numbers.

You say you were getting mid 30s and now it is colder you are getting 43kWh/100miles. Based upon 35kWh/100miles and you current figure of 43kWh/100miles, this suggests a 22% reduction in range. I would suggest that there is nothing unusual about this. I see a drop of 20% in range with my I-Pace from summer to winter. From 28kWh/100miles in the summer, to 34kWh/100miles in the winter. Don't worry about my figures being different to yours, it is the percentage difference that is the meaningful value.

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:30 pm

I did a 108 mile trip today. I used 36.64kWh of energy (using the miles per kWh and distance reported to InControl)
With a battery capacity of 84.4kWh that equates to a range of 250 miles.
Sadly, that trip consumed over half my battery given its depleted capacity.
But even with starting temps of 4C, you can get a decent range at this time of year.
However, no more than 12 miles of that 108 were on dual carriageways.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S19B_* Maps : whatever is current.

Grillpan

Post by Grillpan » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:20 pm

JonB wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:22 pm
Snap! Almost identical summer/winter consumption figures. In fact, recently with the wind and rain I have seen 46-48kWh/100 mi.

Volkswarren

Post by Volkswarren » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:28 am

Must say mine has taken a drop in the last two weeks, it's my first winter with the ipace, thankfully the fast charger has been fixed @bath, so I can charge to get home. I'm now getting 37kWh per 100 miles and GOM is showing 207 range, about 212 eco.
HSE, Caesium Blue, 22" 5056 Alloys, Oyster Leather, Active Air Suspension, Cold Pack, Black Pack, Privacy glass and Pano roof. Podpoint Homecharger. Telematics: 16.2 | InControl: S19B_19.40.4-436082

anorak

Post by anorak » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:23 pm

I got an average of around 40kWh/100 miles in Jan / Feb / March and 34 in the summer months. Getting close to 40 again this week.

Had a couple of software updates and none have had any noticeable effect on range / consumption.
I Pace EV400 S, Caesium blue, Oyster leather, 18" wheels
MY19, delivered 01/2019
IMC: S19B_19.40.4-436082 || Telematics: 17.2
Now on its 2nd front EPIC

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”