Late notification of exit by SatNav on A-Road Dual Carriageway

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
harv10

Re: Late notification of exit by SatNav

Post by harv10 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:20 pm

I had an insident with my sat nav a few days ago when it was telling me to turn right at the end of the road when i got there the right was into a field i actualy needed to turn left 1/2 a milr down the road was is a pub and i called in and was talking to a local , he told me the road used to go right at that point but an open cast mine had taken over the field and the road was rerouted away from the site that was in 1968 may be i need an update or the sat nav should be updated
i-pace SE corris grey 20" wheels panaramic roof

ELray

Post by ELray » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:05 pm

here.com states they are more than 8000 employees. However, they forgot to have a employee to answer mails, cause I sent a mail about 4 month ago, about their map inaccuracy on roads near me, but they never answered me back.. I suggest more people would send them mails about this issues. Perhaps if they got more than one complaint, they would start taking their mission more seriously? One could only hope.
🇳🇴 Norway
:arrow: I-Pace S Edition X590 (19MY)
:arrow: Build date: 1 Feb 2019 | Delivered: 15 March 2019
⚙️ Telematics: 16.2
⚙️ InControl(updOTA:19.10.22): S19B_19.40.4-436082
⚙️ Maps(upd:19.10.31): 08.030.0101.0156

fa147

Post by fa147 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:25 am

harv10 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:20 pm
I had an insident with my sat nav a few days ago when it was telling me to turn right at the end of the road when i got there the right was into a field i actualy needed to turn left 1/2 a milr down the road was is a pub and i called in and was talking to a local , he told me the road used to go right at that point but an open cast mine had taken over the field and the road was rerouted away from the site that was in 1968 may be i need an update or the sat nav should be updated
I don't know if you know but map copying is a thing and to get round this map companies use fake/false (trap) streets in their maps. So if map company A want to know if map company B has copied their map, they simply look for the trap streets and if they are there, then court battles begin. This video explains it in a very funny way:

Maybe Here.com have copied the map from a company that left it there for a reason...
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S19B_19.40.4-436082 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 8.30.100.156

elbocko

Post by elbocko » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:56 pm

I thought this had happened to me yesterday when I was going to Rutland Water. In fact, what had happened is a sudden re-route was delivered to get round a traffic jam. I ignored the update because it happened to quickly; and then I got caught in the traffic jam. :roll:
El Bocko

E 2ERO, SE, Firenze Red, MY19, 18"
InControl Touch Pro S19B_19.40.4-436082. Vehicle Connectivity 17.2, Battery Energy Control Shh, it won't say.

DougTheMac

Post by DougTheMac » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:51 pm

As the OP, it seems most of you are attributing this to poor/old data at specific junctions. However, my observations are that it is generic to the system, and is an A-Road problem. I came back from good old Lut’n Airport late Monday, along the A505 with a brief stint on the A1(M) and finally on the A11/A14.
On a Motorway, it works fine - tells you of an upcoming junction c1.2 miles ahead, with a detailed lane graphic. But an A-Road, even a major dual carriageway like the A11 or A14, is treated as a minor road. There is no detailed graphic like you get on a Motorway, just a simple graphic as though the slip road was a fork in the road. And the first warning is somewhere between the 100 and 200m markers. This may be ok if you are doing 40-50mph on a back road, but totally inadequate when you can be 2 or 3 lanes out. (A14 may be “only” an A-Road, but is 3-lanes in places).
I haven’t updated my maps (on the TTD list) but somehow I’m dubious this will help.
Has no-one else observed this behaviour with major A-roads?
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster since 1Mar19
S19B_19.40.4-436082 & anon

DougTheMac

Post by DougTheMac » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:05 pm

I’ve bumped my own thread here as all the responses above have been to report other problems with the SatNav rather than my specific problem of late notification of a motorway-style junction (slip road from dual carriageway onto an elevated or underpass type roundabout) on a non-motorway A-Road.
I’ve updated my maps and the problem is still there.
I’ve googled the issue re other Jags or Here systems, and find only this post!
So, my questions are:
Am I alone in experiencing this?
Does everyone else get notified of an upcoming exit from a fast DC A-road in adequate time? (As mentioned before, the first indication of the need to take a slip road is between the // and / markers, far too late if in the RH lane).
So is this issue (a) unique to my car (b) normal for I-Pace or (c) normal for all JLR?
And please, no responses telling me to use CarPlay etc. I want to get the car’s SatNav to behave properly.

DougTheMac

Re: Late notification of exit by SatNav on A-Road Dual Carriageway

Post by DougTheMac » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:10 pm

PS also changed the thread title to be more specific.

fa147

Post by fa147 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:05 pm

DougTheMac wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:05 pm
Does everyone else get notified of an upcoming exit from a fast DC A-road in adequate time? (As mentioned before, the first indication of the need to take a slip road is between the // and / markers, far too late if in the RH lane).
I have used the Here sat nav whenever I travel to unknown locations as I like the instructions on the main cluster. I've travelled on M, A and B roads and have never had delayed instructions which resulted in me missing turn offs, and I am not shy with my right foot, so I would normally be in the right lane on roads.
DougTheMac wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:05 pm
So is this issue (a) unique to my car (b) normal for I-Pace or (c) normal for all JLR?
From the previous comments to this thread, i would say (at present and until other reply otherwise) this is an issue with your car and you should see if your dealer can identify/resolve the issue.
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S19B_19.40.4-436082 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 8.30.100.156

Volkswarren

Post by Volkswarren » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:39 pm

No Issues with my nav, though to be fair I don't use it much.
HSE, Caesium Blue, 22" 5056 Alloys, Oyster Leather, Active Air Suspension, Cold Pack, Black Pack, Privacy glass and Pano roof. Podpoint Homecharger. Telematics: 16.2 | InControl: S19B_19.40.4-436082

DougTheMac

Post by DougTheMac » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:10 pm

I eventually worked out what’s going wrong (for me).
I forgot to mention above that I always run the SatNav muted, relying on graphical instructions on the HUD, because I don’t like the interruptions of the spoken instructions. That’s what the HUD is for, isn’t it?
On Motorways, this works, as the graphics seem to display in plenty of time. On A-roads, although you get a couple of verbal warnings in ample time, the graphics don’t activate until very close to the junction.
So, it is intended, if IMHO undesirable, behaviour.
The moral of the story is that I need to unmute the SatNav when driving an unfamiliar route on major A-roads. A minor PITA.

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”