ICEing

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
anupanu

Re: ICEing

Post by anupanu » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:04 pm

EV owners don't need to be close to the building, so placing them some distance away would disincentivise the lazy drivers, marking the charging area with fencing and markings, but not gates or barriers would deter the more observant. That should just leave the desperate, they are the only spaces left anywhere, or the EV haters. More and more car parks here are now monitored via CCTV with prohibitive parking charges posted. Even an EV owner who parked in the bays, but did not charge would be liable to pay the fines. The charging point would know whether you had charged.
What type of charger though? Previous comments suggest 7.5kW as the cars are parked all day, now think about a visit to a garden centre or shopping mall, a couple of hours is enough for me!

Captain.Plummet

Post by Captain.Plummet » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:19 pm

anupanu wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:04 pm
EV owners don't need to be close to the building, so placing them some distance away would disincentivise the lazy drivers, marking the charging area with fencing and markings, but not gates or barriers would deter the more observant. That should just leave the desperate, they are the only spaces left anywhere, or the EV haters. More and more car parks here are now monitored via CCTV with prohibitive parking charges posted. Even an EV owner who parked in the bays, but did not charge would be liable to pay the fines. The charging point would know whether you had charged.
What type of charger though? Previous comments suggest 7.5kW as the cars are parked all day, now think about a visit to a garden centre or shopping mall, a couple of hours is enough for me!
If you’ve popped to the mall or the garden centre you don’t need to charge or, if you do, you’d get 35 miles range in two hours. Car parks are not the place for Rapid chargers.

Post by ****** » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:50 pm

Captain.Plummet wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:19 pm

If you’ve popped to the mall or the garden centre you don’t need to charge or, if you do, you’d get 35 miles range in two hours. Car parks are not the place for Rapid chargers.
They seem like the perfect place to me. Best way to address the charging time is to put chargers in places where people leave their cars for a period of time whilst they do something else.

You’re thinking about this as someone with a driveway and a home charger. You need to consider how someone with on street parking charges their car without it taking huge chunks out of their day. They need chargers in places where they are going anyway to do something else.

anupanu

Post by anupanu » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:07 pm

Captain.Plummet wrote:
You assume I can charge at home and I don't have to park my car on the street...

Captain.Plummet

Post by Captain.Plummet » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:28 pm

Goshdarnit wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:50 pm
Captain.Plummet wrote:

They seem like the perfect place to me. Best way to address the charging time is to put chargers in places where people leave their cars for a period of time whilst they do something else.

You’re thinking about this as someone with a driveway and a home charger. You need to consider how someone with on street parking charges their car without it taking huge chunks out of their day. They need chargers in places where they are going anyway to do something else.
Not at all. You’re generally in a car park for a long stay, in which case a slow charger is fine (but a rapid charger requires you to return to the car after 90 minutes), or a short stay such as shopping in which case you are not driving far and are less likely to need to charge. If you don’t have a home charger then Rapid charging at a forecourt or slow charging in a car park overnight are the options. Putting a single rapid charge bay in a car park is asking for arguments. Furthermore, the slow chargers are more reliable.

fa147

Post by fa147 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:43 pm

Captain.Plummet wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:28 pm
Goshdarnit wrote:
Captain.Plummet wrote:

Not at all. You’re generally in a car park for a long stay, in which case a slow charger is fine (but a rapid charger requires you to return to the car after 90 minutes), or a short stay such as shopping in which case you are not driving far and are less likely to need to charge. If you don’t have a home charger then Rapid charging at a forecourt or slow charging in a car park overnight are the options. Putting a single rapid charge bay in a car park is asking for arguments. Furthermore, the slow chargers are more reliable.
You are assuming 50kW charging, but that doesn't have to be the case... DC chargers can vary and it is very possible to get 25kW charging which means 90 minutes is no where near a limit that needs to be in place..More a 2-4 hour stay,which is ideal for visiting shoppers and shopping centres. Also, 4x 25kW chargers would equal a 100kW supply, which is not hard to achieve in shopping centres.

In fact, if you think about it,,, you could very easily convert 30-40 car slots in the back of a parking area from no charging to 25kW charging and this means it doesn't cost too much, and also means that people that come to charge are using the shopping centre's services for about 2-4 hours which means (with economic hat on) they are there enough time to spend but not too long to waste time, which means a higher conversation rate... Win-win...
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: 19C_19.46.4-458817 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 08.030.0104.0157
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0

Captain.Plummet

Post by Captain.Plummet » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:04 pm

fa147 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:43 pm
Captain.Plummet wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:28 pm
Goshdarnit wrote:

You are assuming 50kW charging, but that doesn't have to be the case... DC chargers can vary and it is very possible to get 25kW charging which means 90 minutes is no where near a limit that needs to be in place..More a 2-4 hour stay,which is ideal for visiting shoppers and shopping centres. Also, 4x 25kW chargers would equal a 100kW supply, which is not hard to achieve in shopping centres.

In fact, if you think about it,,, you could very easily convert 30-40 car slots in the back of a parking area from no charging to 25kW charging and this means it doesn't cost too much, and also means that people that come to charge are using the shopping centre's services for about 2-4 hours which means (with economic hat on) they are there enough time to spend but not too long to waste time, which means a higher conversation rate... Win-win...
You are making no sense. 40 x 25kW is a megawatt, hard to find in a car park.

Billy Bunter

Post by Billy Bunter » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:25 pm

Captain.Plummet wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:48 pm
How about a charging compound with a single barrier opened using the RFID card?
They’re free.
Soon everybody would have them.
SE, Firenze Red, Black Pack & Black 20” wheels, Air Suspention, HUD, ACC, DAB+

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:34 pm

I like the solution that PodPoint/Tesco has installed at the Tesco Store in Crawley (Three Bridges)

There are two AC chargers close to the store entrance. These get ICE'd
Around the back and over the road close to the Petrol Station, there is a 50kW DC Charger (CHAdeMO & CCS) and 22kW AC.
If you want Fast charging then you have to park well away from the store entrance (close to the Click and Collect point).
LEss chance of that one being ICE'd.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S19C_* Maps : whatever is current.

fa147

Post by fa147 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:38 pm

Captain.Plummet wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:04 pm
fa147 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:43 pm

You are making no sense. 40 x 25kW is a megawatt, hard to find in a car park.
I'm sure that is exactly what you would have said a year ago before 40 and 50 stall Tesla Superchargers appeared.

Just looked at this: https://insideevs.com/news/342244/see-t ... ger-video/

I appreciate it's a lot and it is very possible that 2 bays share 25kW, much like how superchargers share power between bays, so 40 bays but with only 20 at max 25kW, that's 500kW. Expensive to install, well not so much, because otherwise that is 2x 350kW units or 4x 125kW units. Think about the yearly return on investment as far as usage charges and the shopping potential of those EV users?

Again, I revert to demand and supply... If shopping centres don't invest, they will not attract customers and they need to attract customers; this is one way of doing that.
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: 19C_19.46.4-458817 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 08.030.0104.0157
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0