I can't say enough good things about the I-Pace driving dynamics

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
ardevd

I can't say enough good things about the I-Pace driving dynamics

Post by ardevd » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:53 pm

I recently got to take the I-Pace out on a track and push it a bit. I must admit that this car behaves a lot better than it should. The combination of the low center of gravity and an awesome chassis makes it so ridiculously stable. You can feel the weight shifting at high speed in the corners but it's never jarring and the amount of grip is just endless.

Also, the fact that we could hammer it around the track all day without any cooling problems at all really lends credit to the amount of effort the engineering team put into this aspect of the car. They certainly didnt have to do it, but the fact that they wanted to adhere to the brand's performance traditions so much that they went out of their way to ensure the I-Pace would survive a track day is pretty cool. I definitely expected the brakes would fade quite quickly but they held up really well too.

So if you ever get the chance to take your electric cat to the track, do it!

The versatility of the I-Pace is just something else.
Control your I-Pace with jlrpy or WattCat for Android| I-PACE HSE Ebny Prem Txt MY2019.

Telematics: 16.2 | InControl: S19B_19.35.4-418001

scm

Re: I can't say enough good things about the I-Pace driving dynamics

Post by scm » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:11 pm

ardevd wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:53 pm
I must admit that this car behaves a lot better than it should.
I really don't understand why anyone should think that a Jaguar wouldn't be a great driver's car - they have a bit of heritage, after all! It's modern stuff like ones and zeroes that they're new to. ;)

ardevd

Post by ardevd » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:15 pm

scm wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:11 pm
ardevd wrote:
I must admit that this car behaves a lot better than it should.
I really don't understand why anyone should think that a Jaguar wouldn't be a great driver's car - they have a bit of heritage, after all! It's modern stuff like ones and zeroes that they're new to. ;)
Yes , but it's also a two tonne SUV. Not exactly something you would expect to confidently toss around corners at high speed on a track ;)
Control your I-Pace with jlrpy or WattCat for Android| I-PACE HSE Ebny Prem Txt MY2019.

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:20 pm

On the Jaguar Art of Performance Tour I went on, we had about a dozen laps of Oulton Park race circuit which is quite undulating.. We were last in the set of vehicles to set off and the track was wet, whilst approaching one corner I clipped the kerb as I was overtaking another slower car on the inside, then went straight into a second corner where I clipped the opposite side kerb, after that the car bounced around a bit and got into a small sideways skid, however, it was so easy to correct and get back on track, the car more or less did it all itself, it wasn't easy to get it sliding at all, all this was at about 80-90mph, amazing drive, even my wife enjoyed it and she is not really one for fast speed.

Yes, it is amazing how good it is to throw around corners.
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 in Black with full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc etc
InControlTouch Pro: S18D Updated 31.07.2019 Uodated again 20.09.19 to S19B Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 ??? - H228

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:21 pm

ardevd wrote:

Also, the fact that we could hammer it around the track all day without any cooling problems at all really lends credit to the amount of effort the engineering team put into this aspect of the car. They certainly didnt have to do it, but the fact that they wanted to adhere to the brand's performance traditions so much that they went out of their way to ensure the I-Pace would survive a track day is pretty cool.
Hoping the upcoming range increase update doesn’t take this ability away, or make it less able :-)
Caesium Blue S. 18” Wheels.
250+ miles range driven in the winter.
300+ miles range driven in the summer.
S19A-19.24, H228

ardevd

Post by ardevd » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:23 pm

Chewy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:21 pm
ardevd wrote:

Also, the fact that we could hammer it around the track all day without any cooling problems at all really lends credit to the amount of effort the engineering team put into this aspect of the car. They certainly didnt have to do it, but the fact that they wanted to adhere to the brand's performance traditions so much that they went out of their way to ensure the I-Pace would survive a track day is pretty cool.
Hoping the upcoming range increase update doesn’t take this ability away, or make it less able :-)
It won't. I could chat for an hour about what they've done to achieve the range increase but nothing compromises performance.

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:30 pm

ardevd wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:23 pm
Chewy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:21 pm
ardevd wrote:

It won't. I could chat for an hour about what they've done to achieve the range increase but nothing compromises performance.
Excellent, it is a Jaguar after all :-)

The hour you need can start whenever you want...
Caesium Blue S. 18” Wheels.
250+ miles range driven in the winter.
300+ miles range driven in the summer.
S19A-19.24, H228

FENorway

Post by FENorway » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:41 pm

ardevd wrote:

Also, the fact that we could hammer it around the track all day without any cooling problems at all really lends credit to the amount of effort the engineering team put into this aspect of the car.
It's a shame that this engineering didn't result in a competitive charge rate.
FE Corris grey light oyster/light oyster Performance 22" 5069 & 18" 1022 19B_19.40.4-436082 and 14.2

emgf

Post by emgf » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:57 pm

ardevd wrote:
I recently got to take the I-Pace out on a track and push it a bit. I must admit that this car behaves a lot better than it should. The combination of the low center of gravity and an awesome chassis makes it so ridiculously stable. You can feel the weight shifting at high speed in the corners but it's never jarring and the amount of grip is just endless.

Also, the fact that we could hammer it around the track all day without any cooling problems at all really lends credit to the amount of effort the engineering team put into this aspect of the car. They certainly didnt have to do it, but the fact that they wanted to adhere to the brand's performance traditions so much that they went out of their way to ensure the I-Pace would survive a track day is pretty cool. I definitely expected the brakes would fade quite quickly but they held up really well too.

So if you ever get the chance to take your electric cat to the track, do it
I did : driving more than 500 km ( over 2 days ) on both a dry and a wet 10 km track ( used for WLTP certification ). I-Pace is a fantastic sports car in these conditions and the stability you described on a dry road is even more impressive when the track is wet ( artificially )
SE Yulong White , light oyster interior , 20" Gloss Black , since October 9th 2018 , S19B_19.35, 16.2

fa147

Post by fa147 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:28 pm

ardevd wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:23 pm
...I could chat for an hour about what they've done...
Please do, some of us are very interested and would love to know via a video or something...
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S19B_35.5-418001 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 8.30.100.153

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”