Experience with ChargePlace Scotland EVolt Units?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
mikew

Experience with ChargePlace Scotland EVolt Units?

Post by mikew » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:51 am

Does anyone have any experience of using ChargePlace Scotland EVolt units?

We drove up to our holiday home on the Isle of Skye last week from York. We charged at the new Ionity location at Gretna Green and at an InstaVolt location near Glasgow airport. Both great experiences.

It is 197 miles from the location in Glasgow to our holiday home. Generally I'm getting a range of 200-210 miles, so I wanted to do a quick top up along the route to give us a better safety margin.

So we stopped off at Crianlarich and plugged into the charger there. Things started well... it recognised my CYC RFID card and started to charge about half a minute after I pressed the start button... then cut out almost immediately with a CCS error. I tried to get it going for about another 10 minutes before I finally gave up.

So we headed up the road to Tyndrum where there are two separate chargers... one at the Good Food Cafe and another at the Green Welly stop.

At the Good Food Cafe the charger recognised my card, displayed the instructions, sounded like it was starting up, but after a minute or so just went back to asking for my RFID card again. I tried several times, but always the same result.

So we went across the road to the Green Welly Stop and much to our relief this one worked first time.

A couple of days after we arrived here we went for a drive around the island and stopped off in Broadford on the way back to charge. The unit worked first time and we charged all the way to 100% while we went for something to eat.

Then the day before yesterday we stopped in Broadford again to do exactly the same thing. Having charged here successfully before we were not expecting any problems, but could we get it to work? Not a chance!

So now our confidence is shot as regards getting a safety margin top up on our way back to Glasgow on Friday.

All these units are operated by ChargePlace Scotland and are identical EVolt ones. When they refuse to charge the connector is always locked into the I-Pace's charge point and I have to use the emergency release to get it free.

When things start to go wrong the car doors will frequently lock by themselves... same on all of them.

We will be stopping in Broadford again today, so we will see what happens. One thing I want to try is leaving the key in the car, rather than having it in my pocket. Could the automatic door locking have anything to do with this?

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated! Though my overall feeling is that this is an I-Pace shortcoming, rather than a problem with the chargers.

A couple of weeks back Goshdarnit kindly recommended the Lomondgate ChargePlace Scotland location to me, saying he guaranteed it would work. It is 185 miles from here so should be achievable, but with Scottish weather conditions you never know for sure!

We have by the way really enjoyed driving the I-Pace around the island and on the way up here from York. Such a pleasure!
SE Yulong white, black pack, 22" split-spoke, pano roof, Ebony heated seats, Ebony headlining, gloss black, cold climate, front fogs, air suspension and 360˚cam. Delivered 29/10/2018.
IMC: S19A_19.24.2-375121 Telematics: 15.2

wmd_IP

Re: Experience with ChargePlace Scotland EVolt Units?

Post by wmd_IP » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:26 am

I believe there is a CPS charger at An Crubh on Skye that is the new Evolt type so should work ok. You can see it on Plugshare app or website. South of Broadford on A851. I would be interested to know if this one works.

bogeybuster

Post by bogeybuster » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:41 pm

Hi Mikew
Glad to hear that you enjoyed driving your i-pace around Skye.
Sorry to learn of your problems with some of the chargers.
I think if I recall Goshdarnit had the same problems with these older chargers as well.
Check out his 3 part u tube video on his trip to Arduine Gardens.
I think in part 3 he used the good food cafe one the same as you did.
If I am wrong hopefully Goshdarnit will come on and correct me.
Having said that I have not been that far North in Scotland yet and most of the Charge Scotland Chargers in the central belt of Scotland work fine.
I will have to get down to your neck of the woods as Yorkshire is a beautiful county.
I am loving my i-pace as well so far so good.
Jaguar i-Pace Corris Grey SE with Panoramic roof and oyster interior
S19 B update Telematics v.14.2

mikew

Post by mikew » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:44 pm

wmd_IP wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:26 am
I believe there is a CPS charger at An Crubh on Skye that is the new Evolt type so should work ok. You can see it on Plugshare app or website. South of Broadford on A851. I would be interested to know if this one works.
Hi wmd_IP

Although we haven't been inside An Crùbh yet it is an amazing looking building, so must go on our next trip. I can't find any info on it having a charge point, but it is exactly the kind of place you would expect to have one... ultra modern and eco friendly. Nothing listed for it on CPS, but there is one very close by at the Eilean Iarmain Hotel, though just a pair of 7kW AC outlets.

I won't be able to check out An Crùbh on this trip... we've just got home from lunch right up in the north of the island with only 43% SoC left. We haven't installed a home charger here yet, so I'm plugged into a 3 pin socket... just over 24 hours to get back to a full charge. So we won't be going out tomorrow and we leave early on Friday morning.

Our issue is actually charge points between Skye and Glasgow. We will leave here with a full charge and there are plenty of charging options in Glasgow, but the journey is close to the limit of our range. Hence the need for a quick top up on the way.

I tried charging in Broadford again today on our way home and it wouldn't work. However, before I drove on I did try it on AC... it worked first time. So as a last resort we could plug into the AC side of one of the CPS units and just stay long enough to add 10 miles or so... sufficient to guarantee we make it to Glasgow with a working safety margin.
SE Yulong white, black pack, 22" split-spoke, pano roof, Ebony heated seats, Ebony headlining, gloss black, cold climate, front fogs, air suspension and 360˚cam. Delivered 29/10/2018.

mikew

Post by mikew » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:53 pm

bogeybuster wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:41 pm
Hi Mikew
Glad to hear that you enjoyed driving your i-pace around Skye.

Sorry to learn of your problems with some of the chargers.
I think if I recall Goshdarnit had the same problems with these older chargers as well.
Check out his 3 part u tube video on his trip to Arduine Gardens.
I think in part 3 he used the good food cafe one the same as you did.
If I am wrong hopefully Goshdarnit will come on and correct me.
Having said that I have not been that far North in Scotland yet and most of the Charge Scotland Chargers in the central belt of Scotland work fine.
I will have to get down to your neck of the woods as Yorkshire is a beautiful county.
I am loving my i-pace as well so far so good.
Hi bogeybuster

Many thanks for the information, I will try to find Goshdarnits videos and hope too he comes on later with some advice. Though given his guarantee Lomondgate will work, I'm relatively relaxed. it is 184 miles from here, so if I drive carefully I should get there with 20 miles in hand.

Yorkshire is beautiful... you must visit sometime and glad you are loving your I-Pace too!

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:12 pm

Hi there. Yes, I don’t want to keep seeming like I’m pushing my videos but I would suggest checking a few out. In particular the Public Charging adventure videos that specifically mention ChargePlace Scotland and the first two road trip videos (Kintyre peninsula and Arduaine Gardens) as they are all relevant and go into deeper explanation than I would be able to here. But basically those eVolt chargers you are talking about are all flaky. I’ve had good results on some but not on others. And some of them work sometimes but then fail dismally the next time I try them. When planning a route, I look on plugshare for the Raption chargers (those are the ones like at Lomondgate Services with a screen and no physical buttons) as I find them totally reliable. Occasionally they need a few attempts to start but have never failed me yet. With the other chargers (called Compacts) like Crianlarich and Tyndrum, it’s very hit or miss. If I go on a route which ONLY has those chargers and no Raptions, I stop at evey single charger and try it just in case it will be the only one that works. I call it ABC (always be charging) and it has never failed to get me there. It’s cumbersome but it works. Obviously once you get to a point where you can reach home or a reliable charger (instavolt or Lomondgate) then you don’t need to stop any more but up until that point I stop at every charger even if it is only for 10%. I keep the car at 90% as much as possible in those situations. Not ideal but better than the AA!
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19B_19.40.4-436082 Telematics: 14.2
Last update: 21/10/19

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

wmd_IP

Post by wmd_IP » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:08 pm

mikew wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:44 pm
wmd_IP wrote:
Hi wmd_IP

Although we haven't been inside An Crùbh yet it is an amazing looking building, so must go on our next trip. I can't find any info on it having a charge point, but it is exactly the kind of place you would expect to have one... ultra modern and eco friendly. Nothing listed for it on CPS, but there is one very close by at the Eilean Iarmain Hotel, though just a pair of 7kW AC outlets.

I won't be able to check out An Crùbh on this trip... we've just got home from lunch right up in the north of the island with only 43% SoC left. We haven't installed a home charger here yet, so I'm plugged into a 3 pin socket... just over 24 hours to get back to a full charge. So we won't be going out tomorrow and we leave early on Friday morning.

Our issue is actually charge points between Skye and Glasgow. We will leave here with a full charge and there are plenty of charging options in Glasgow, but the journey is close to the limit of our range. Hence the need for a quick top up on the way.

I tried charging in Broadford again today on our way home and it wouldn't work. However, before I drove on I did try it on AC... it worked first time. So as a last resort we could plug into the AC side of one of the CPS units and just stay long enough to add 10 miles or so... sufficient to guarantee we make it to Glasgow with a working safety margin.
The charger definitely shows up on Plugshare, with a photo to boot. 50kwh

An Crubh
A851, Isle of Skye IV43, UK

176 miles from there to Lomondgate.

mikew

Post by mikew » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:05 pm

wmd_IP wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:08 pm
mikew wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:44 pm
wmd_IP wrote:
Hi wmd_IP

An Crubh

That's good to hear, but that 176 miles would be via the Armadale to Mallaig ferry, rather than the Skye Bridge. I don't know for sure, but with today's high winds, I bet the ferry wasn't operating. It takes a lot less than we have experienced today to stop it!

wmd_IP

Post by wmd_IP » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:28 pm

[/quote]

An Crubh

[/quote]
That's good to hear, but that 176 miles would be via the Armadale to Mallaig ferry, rather than the Skye Bridge. I don't know for sure, but with today's high winds, I bet the ferry wasn't operating. It takes a lot less than we have experienced today to stop it!
[/quote]

176 miles is via the bridge (ABetterRoutePlanner.com).

mikew

Post by mikew » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:15 am

wmd_IP wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:28 pm

An Crubh

[/quote]
[/quote]

176 miles is via the bridge (ABetterRoutePlanner.com).
[/quote]
Yes, you are right... I wasn't thinking about it properly last night, it would be closer than from here.

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”