Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier - RHD (T4K1179) - Installation Instructions

10K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  EEV320 
#1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone have the installation instructions from Topix for the Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier - RHD (T4K1179)? I was sure I'd seen it on the forum but cant find it any more.

Thanks in advance!

James

#3 ·
I don't know if @Pcheaven comes on here much any more since selling his I-Pace, but he had the cycle carrier and I think was also a user of Topix, so you might want to try dropping him a PM or even just searching his old posts, it might be one of them you were thinking of.

Edit: or just follow the link in the post above :)

#5 ·
I just had a conversation with Jaguar and was informed to purchase the rear cycle rack I would need to have a tow bar fitted at a garage and this would also involve drilling holes for cable routing.
This highlights why I could not find any reviews of this cycle carrier, as a active tri athlete I am well pissed with this as I thought it would have been a plug and play system for the price.
Annoying and over priced and bordering on mid advertising from the limited information you can obtain, let down Jaguar expected more.

#6 ·
Paul -

You won't need a tow bar to fit the cycle carrier. Actually, I think the carrier is incompatible with a tow bar as it would occupy the same space. You do need electrics fitting though - it's a very quick job. It does require a hole for the cables to go through the floor in the boot somewhere. It's not at all noticeable once done.

The carrier is made by Thule and is easy to use.

G
#7 ·
paul.x.williams said:
I just had a conversation with Jaguar and was informed to purchase the rear cycle rack I would need to have a tow bar fitted at a garage and this would also involve drilling holes for cable routing.
This highlights why I could not find any reviews of this cycle carrier, as a active tri athlete I am well pissed with this as I thought it would have been a plug and play system for the price.
Annoying and over priced and bordering on mid advertising from the limited information you can obtain, let down Jaguar expected more.
To be clear, the rear-mounted rack, which I have, does not need a tow bar fitted. However the so-called preparation kit, listed as a standard fitting in the specifications for the car, has to be installed which is simply a wiring harness and socket that the dealer can fit. The rack simply screws into the existing holes for the rear tow eyes. What the dealer might be confused by is that there is an alternative cycle rack that can clamp on a tow ball if already fitted. Both racks are made by Thule for Jaguar

#9 ·
paul.x.williams said:
To add further, I have the factory fitted tow bar/electrics and a Volvo cycle rack that clamps to the tow bar. Not a Jaguar recommendation but it works well.

#11 ·
NightFox said:
I don't know if @Pcheaven comes on here much any more since selling his I-Pace, but he had the cycle carrier and I think was also a user of Topix, so you might want to try dropping him a PM or even just searching his old posts, it might be one of them you were thinking of.

Edit: or just follow the link in the post above :)
I do occasionally. As we are considering a new I pace or a Porsche. Undecided.

It seems the cycle carrier question is sorted.
JLr version needs a preparation kit. Which is Simply enough to install. It works very well. Much more stable than a 3rd party tow bar mounted carrier.

#12 ·
Hi
Concerned my mountain bike (YT Jeffsey XL), which has a 1249mm wheelbase, may be too large for the i-PACE rear mounted cycle carrier (T4K1179). Does anyone know the wheelbase length limit is please? Or anyone got experience in carrying a bike of similar size? Can't find info anywhere. Tried asking 4 dealers and so far drawing blanks. Thanks

#13 ·
I have the carrier which has adjustable width - sliding wheel rests, so it is unlikely to be a problem. I will measure if you like what the overall wheelbase is that it caters to, but more importantly the bike should fit within the width of the car. If not then I think that you have a bigger challenge...

#14 ·
Thx Slowlane

I'd really appreciate that measurement.
'Should fit within width of car' - you mean because of effect on drag and range? Or something else?
Don't think it is illegal to be bit wider.
Just need to be sure to allow a little more clearance....
How has carrying bikes affected your range may I ask?

#16 ·
OK, with maximum extent set, I measure 120cm between the outermost edge of the wheel rests, and the distance between the wheel clamp straps that hold the wheels in the rests is 60cm.
The rack is just a Thule one adapted for Jaguar and on the Thule website this model states max wheelbase as 130cm, see: https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rack/towbar-bike-racks/thule-velocompact-2-7-pin-_-925

My point about overhang was more about the danger of hitting something beyond the edges of what is already a wide car.
I have not noticed any drop in range while carrying bikes, but it is true that I have not spent hours at motorway speed to test this.

#18 ·
Badger said:
Thanks Slowlane,
That's very helpful.
Thought I'd seen somewhere online suggesting it was a modified Thule, but wasn't sure if indo correct (or which model). Jag dealers didn't know when asked.
Is the documentation with it? Or is it labeled?
Cheers
You are welcome. No, the Jag rack came with no documentation or labels, and it was fitted by my dealer. I asked but all they had were fitting instructions. Luckily, the rack is very stable and quick to fix to the car.

#21 ·
Philitup said:
Can you fit the bike rack yourself or do the electric side of things force you to go to the dealership>
It's not a difficult job to fit the electrics if you know what you're doing. It does involve drilling a hole through the bodywork. I took the decision to let a dealer do this - it's a small cost compared to the risk of having a wet boot! Any half decent mechanic could do it though if you want to save a few quid.

#23 ·
I removed the light module and wiring on the bike rack since there doesn't seem to be any requirement to have lights here. Last year I bought a new bike. The frame is bigger and taller than my previous bike so I extended the rack tubing. It is now about 110mm taller and does a better job of clamping onto my frame.

Attachments

#24 ·
Waja said:
I removed the light module and wiring on the bike rack since there doesn't seem to be any requirement to have lights here. Last year I bought a new bike. The frame is bigger and taller than my previous bike so I extended the rack tubing. It is now about 110mm taller and does a better job of clamping onto my frame.
If that's a carbon frame on your bike, you might want to upgrade the clamps to the AcuTight version that's designed for the purpose. The standard clamps can easily be over tightened and cut a frame in half.

…and I'm not sure of your logic regarding lights and indicators. Wouldn't it be safer to use them even if local legislation doesn't require them?

#26 ·
Waja said:
Thanks for the heads up on the AcuTight Knob. For some reason Thule doesn't sell these in the US. I would need to use something like eBay to get one.
No problem. You'll also need a Thule "carbon frame protector", which is a sort of wrapper that distributes the force across more of the frame. PITA that they don't sell them in the US - they are very explicit about using these things over here. Both items are available via third party sellers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.