Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier – RHD (T4K1179) - Installation Instructions

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Pcheaven

Re: Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier – RHD (T4K1179) - Installation Instructions

Post by Pcheaven » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:04 am

NightFox wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:14 pm
I don't know if @Pcheaven comes on here much any more since selling his I-Pace, but he had the cycle carrier and I think was also a user of Topix, so you might want to try dropping him a PM or even just searching his old posts, it might be one of them you were thinking of.

Edit: or just follow the link in the post above :-)

I do occasionally. As we are considering a new I pace or a Porsche. Undecided.

It seems the cycle carrier question is sorted.
JLr version needs a preparation kit. Which is Simply enough to install. It works very well. Much more stable than a 3rd party tow bar mounted carrier.
Currently a Phoenix orange disco sport ( using as my builders van !!! and luggage carrier when out in motorhome )
Gone : I pace 2019 First Edition. Photon Red
Gone : velar
Gone : Disco 5
Gone : 2 x disco sports

Awaiting a phev disco sport.

Badger

Post by Badger » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:31 pm

Hi
Concerned my mountain bike (YT Jeffsey XL), which has a 1249mm wheelbase, may be too large for the i-PACE rear mounted cycle carrier (T4K1179). Does anyone know the wheelbase length limit is please? Or anyone got experience in carrying a bike of similar size? Can't find info anywhere. Tried asking 4 dealers and so far drawing blanks. Thanks

slowlane

Post by slowlane » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:45 pm

I have the carrier which has adjustable width - sliding wheel rests, so it is unlikely to be a problem. I will measure if you like what the overall wheelbase is that it caters to, but more importantly the bike should fit within the width of the car. If not then I think that you have a bigger challenge...
MY19SE since March 2019, Indus Silver, 18" wheels, HUD, Air, TCU 19.2, IC 20C, Zappi 1 etc. Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/ochre-sage-191

Badger

Post by Badger » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:39 pm

Thx Slowlane

I'd really appreciate that measurement.
'Should fit within width of car' - you mean because of effect on drag and range? Or something else?
Don't think it is illegal to be bit wider.
Just need to be sure to allow a little more clearance....
How has carrying bikes affected your range may I ask?

Badger

Post by Badger » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:50 pm

Bike almost spot on 2m. So just beyond the 1895 width of the body of the ipace and less than the 2139 including wing mirrors.

slowlane

Post by slowlane » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:26 am

OK, with maximum extent set, I measure 120cm between the outermost edge of the wheel rests, and the distance between the wheel clamp straps that hold the wheels in the rests is 60cm.
The rack is just a Thule one adapted for Jaguar and on the Thule website this model states max wheelbase as 130cm, see: https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rack/t ... -pin-_-925

My point about overhang was more about the danger of hitting something beyond the edges of what is already a wide car.
I have not noticed any drop in range while carrying bikes, but it is true that I have not spent hours at motorway speed to test this.
MY19SE since March 2019, Indus Silver, 18" wheels, HUD, Air, TCU 19.2, IC 20C, Zappi 1 etc. Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/ochre-sage-191

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:34 pm

Thanks Slowlane,
That's very helpful.
Thought I'd seen somewhere online suggesting it was a modified Thule, but wasn't sure if indo correct (or which model). Jag dealers didn't know when asked.
Is the documentation with it? Or is it labeled?
Cheers

slowlane

Post by slowlane » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:38 am

Badger wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:34 pm
Thanks Slowlane,
That's very helpful.
Thought I'd seen somewhere online suggesting it was a modified Thule, but wasn't sure if indo correct (or which model). Jag dealers didn't know when asked.
Is the documentation with it? Or is it labeled?
Cheers
You are welcome. No, the Jag rack came with no documentation or labels, and it was fitted by my dealer. I asked but all they had were fitting instructions. Luckily, the rack is very stable and quick to fix to the car.

Rdm

Post by Rdm » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:57 am

Hi all
Do any of these bike racks carry 4 bikes?
Thanks