Milton Keynes to Spain.. a positive Ipace experience

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
gt03raf

Milton Keynes to Spain.. a positive Ipace experience

Post by gt03raf » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:13 pm

a long post but might be interesting to some....
We have just completed Milton Keynes to Girona (northern Spain) in a fully electric vehicle.
For the last 18 months I’ve had the luxury of the i3 petrol range extender but with the Jaguar Ipace that’s not an option. You have your battery and that’s it!

So.. 1044 miles door to door…

Day 1 – Milton Keynes to Portsmouth Milton Keynes to Portsmouth complete with no drama and used the BP Chargemaster app to find a nice pub 5 miles from the ferry terminal complete with unoccupied charger.
Car re-charged to 100%, family re-fuelled with a nice pub dinner and a 10 minute drive top the ferry.
All on-board with 99% battery still showing and 6 hours sleep ahead before arriving in Caen.

Day 2 – Caen to La Teste-de-Buche
Arrived with no issues in Caen and started on the drive to our first overnight stop in La Teste-de-Buche via the high speed IONITY network chargers at Angers.
Whilst I had enough range to get to the IONITY at Angers I thought I’d stop and make sure my Chargemap card worked also the normal rapid chargers in France.
Everything worked ok, so after that slight detour we headed straight to the IONITY at Angers where we charged the car from 25% to 96% in about 1h & 15 minutes (whilst eating fresh Pain au Chocolate and drinking a nice fresh coffee.)
In theory that should have been enough to get to the next overnight stop but… Spending too long at 130kmh really does hit the battery hard and range drops a lot quicker than it would have done at 100kmh. took the decision to stop at the first services with a charging point for a 30 minute top up (us and the car!).
Got to the services only to find the charger not yet commissioned.
Down to 23% and beginning to have a little panic.
18km detour to the services the other side of the same road. Fortunately that charger was unoccupied and working…. Stress levels returning to normal!!

So... how did day 2 end up.. We made it to our overnight. Only downside again was the standard French services rapid chargers only delivering 32kw/h. Whilst the family was in bed in the hotel I was sat getting a full charge which took over 2 hours.

Thoughts at the end of day 2. Would I do it again? Yes but I would take an extra day and have an additional overnight stop. 7 hours of driving, 4 .5 hours of charging was too much.
The actual driving and charging was fine. IONITY and chargemap were great. No issues at all.

Day 3 – La Teste-de-Buche – L’Escala, Spain
Much more uneventful, getting the hang of this now..
Jumped on the Autoroute and headed straight to the IONITY charger at Montbartier, 250km.
Charged back to 100% in 1hr and then back on the autoroute to Spain.
Again I could have made it all the way to our final destination but, we needed a food stop and leg stretch anyway so we stopped at the “Aire-de-Corbieres” near Perpignan. 40 minute battery re-charge up to 85% and then we headed off over the border and into Spain.
Arrived safely at the villa (37% battery left) and plugged the car in using the plug in charger supplied with the car.

Total cost of charging for the journey, €32.

In Summary a pretty straight-forward journey. Yes it required a little more planning but there were no major issues, the cost was only €32 and compared to an average car we prevented 150,800g, CO2 emissions.

The return…..
I’d left the IPace plugged in overnight at the villa so I had 100% when I left in the morning to head for our overnight stop in Limoges, France.
I’d looked for our hotel using booking.com, why…, because on their search enging they have a filter to provide results for hotels that have on-site charging facilities. Not sure if the other booking websites have this facility but it’s excellent and I also think its good to support the businesses that have taken these kind of proactive measures.
A nice leisurely drive through Spain and up to Montbartier for our charging stop at the IONITY 350KW super charger we used on the way down to Spain.
I wasn’t quick enough to think about a photo but when I arrived there were two other Dutch Ipace’s and an Audi Etron. We had a good chat about our experiences through France and spain and it was good to hear that these owners had also had no issues despite differing routes and charging sites.
Charged started fine but quickly slowed to about 16kwh even though I was only at 36% A quick phone call to IONITY customer helpline and they remotely rebooted the charger and started the charging session again
Now running at 90kwh it didn’t take long to get to 95% and set off on the 2nd part of our journey to Limoges.
Another uneventful leg of the journey arriving at our overnight hotel in Limoges arriving on 16%. A lovely hotel with a secure underground car park and 3 Tesla destination chargers installed.. Plugged in to the charger and left the car overnight for a free charge
Not the fastest charger in the world (similar to a 7kw home charger like most people will have fitted at home) but good enough to get us to 100% by the time we left the next morning meaning one stop at the IONITY in Tours before heading to the ferry in Caen.
Another straightforward journey, stopping at the IONITY 350kw charger at the services near Tours for lunch.

Plenty of time to kill when we arrived in Caen I used the car sat nav to direct me to the nearest rapid charger, which the kids thought was brilliant due to its location next to a Macdonalds. An Hour later the car was at 100% and the kids were fed and happy so a 5 minute drive to the port and we loaded up ready for the overnight crossing.

Arrived safe and sound in Portsmouth fully charged and drove the last 100 miles back to Milton Keynes without any need to stop.

So reflecting on the holiday Over the past 10 days the IPace has been absolutely faultless. An amazing tourer, calm, refined, fun and a head turner wherever we’ve been (EV’s other than Tesla’s or smaller “city” cars are still pretty rare so there is always a lot of interest and curiosity.
On this trip we have covered 1878.8 miles (3023km)
Apart from one slow IONITY (resolved by a reboot) I’ve had no problems at all with corri-door along the French auto routes or the various chargers in northern Spain.
Not a single charger has failed, I’ve not arrived and found the chargers already occupied.
Maybe I’ve been lucky but it’s made for a good experience as well as an educational trip about long journeys in an ev.

Total cost of charging was 87 Euro’s
MY20 Corris Grey HSE, Oyster Seats, Panoramic Roof, 20" Black Gloss Wheels

SammyD

Re: Milton Keynes to Spain.. a positive Ipace experience

Post by SammyD » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:35 pm

Your trip (and those taken by many others) really show that the I-Pace is not a city car but is suitable for long distances.
IT also shows how much the charging infrastructure has improved even in the last 12 months.

You should write it up and send it to some of those sites that just love posting about long trips in a Tesla. /s
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D

ricardon

Post by ricardon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:51 pm

Thank you for your story and the confidence it can give us all.
I-Pace HSE - Santorini Black - Tan Performance Interior - Black Exterior Pack - Pano roof - 20 inch - MY2020. Home country: BE. Delivery April 2019 - 19A_19.24 and 15.2.

nipri

Post by nipri » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:51 pm

What an amazing journey in a fabulous car.
So heartening to read that the chargers worked faultlessly.
Thank you for the detailed report. :D
FE Photon Red 20" Wheels, Light Oyster since 09/18.
My new Love! ;)

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:03 pm

Makes my 620 miles seem pathetic! Great write up. Thanks for sharing.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.07.2-312706 Telematics: 14.2

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

DougTheMac

Post by DougTheMac » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:53 pm

gt03raf wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:13 pm

Day 1 – Milton Keynes to Portsmouth Milton Keynes to Portsmouth complete with no drama and used the BP Chargemaster app to find a nice pub 5 miles from the ferry terminal complete with unoccupied charger.
Car re-charged to 100%, family re-fuelled with a nice pub dinner and a 10 minute drive top the ferry.
All on-board with 99% battery still showing and 6 hours sleep ahead before arriving in Caen.
Great post on an epic trip, thanks for boosting our confidence.

Could you identify the nice pub with what I assume is a CCS charger near Portsmouth? The only CCS I can find nearby is at Gunwharf - but a nice pub?
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster since 1Mar19
S18D_18.47.5-269316 & 14.2

bogeybuster

Post by bogeybuster » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:28 pm

Nice write up and good to know that the i-pace can achieve the longer journeys in great
comfort with no undue concerns.
Gives others like me on the forum the confidence to utilise the car to it's full potential.
Thanks for taking time out to keep us all posted on your journey.
Jaguar i-Pace Corris Grey SE with Panoramic roof and oyster interior
S19A update no telematics version shown

Stephen B

Post by Stephen B » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:48 pm

Thanks for your post. Most reassuring. I have made the decision to become an I-PACE owner. The car is brilliant to drive - but I am still slightly anxious about the longer drives and thus recharging. So often we only hear/read the negative stuff.

I see you are in Milton Keynes. Would you recommend you local Jag dealer?

malcolm

Post by malcolm » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:49 am

Fantastic, well done gt03, it is nice to see the I-pace stretching out across Europe and Ionity is helping so much with that.
I shall be back down to Bordeaux in a few weeks and my confidence is getting to a level that I think we will be stress free this time.
With you reference to EV charger friendly hotels on booking.com I have been looking and I cannot find that filter, any tips ?
Yulong white HSE, 20" wheels, ebony and black pack
S19A_19.07.2-312706
Telematics 14.2

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:08 am

malcolm wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:49 am
Fantastic, well done gt03, it is nice to see the I-pace stretching out across Europe and Ionity is helping so much with that.
I shall be back down to Bordeaux in a few weeks and my confidence is getting to a level that I think we will be stress free this time.
With you reference to EV charger friendly hotels on booking.com I have been looking and I cannot find that filter, any tips ?
Do the search as normal. Once the results come up, tap on “filter” at the top of the list. Scroll down to ”facilities”. EV charging is in there. Screenshot below is of the Booking.com app.

19093997-8A43-4714-B606-6CE96AE0427B.png

Last edited by Goshdarnit on Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.07.2-312706 Telematics: 14.2

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”