Charge port flap release?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Blackseries

Re: Charge port flap release?

Post by Blackseries » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:04 pm

My Nov 2018 build car has had 2 new charger covers (so far) - the last one replaced just before lockdown.
Both times it stuck closed.
If it happens again I'd know how to deal with it - I've become a bit of an expert.
There is a coloured cover (your cars colour) that slides over the generic charger flap mechanism - the trick is to slide this off and expose the mechanics below.
You can then get at the offending pin / lock unit - squeeze it and the door opens.

One thing Jaguar Assistance told me was a lot of people try and use the red cable release cable inside the bonnet to release the charge door - it doesn't work - and can often break - and is not covered by warranty ......... and costs a couple of hundred pounds to fix/replace.

Wasabi Pea

Post by Wasabi Pea » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:39 pm

Blackseries wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:04 pm
There is a coloured cover (your cars colour) that slides over the generic charger flap mechanism - the trick is to slide this off and expose the mechanics below.
You can then get at the offending pin / lock unit - squeeze it and the door opens.
Very useful !
Would you mind please posting a photo of where the coloured cover is?
At last I have my i Pace SE Firenze Red. Ordered 28th Feb, arrived 29th July. Broke 2nd August :cry: Back on the road again 7th August :D

scm

Post by scm » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:44 pm

Blackseries wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:04 pm
One thing Jaguar Assistance told me was a lot of people try and use the red cable release cable inside the bonnet to release the charge door - it doesn't work - and can often break - and is not covered by warranty ......... and costs a couple of hundred pounds to fix/replace.
If the cable release is advertised as opening a stuck charge flap it'd better be covered by warranty if it breaks when it has to be used .... :evil:

Blackseries

Post by Blackseries » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:40 pm

scm wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:44 pm
If the cable release is advertised as opening a stuck charge flap it'd better be covered by warranty if it breaks when it has to be used .... :evil:
The red cable ONLY releases a stuck CABLE - not a stuck door - Its there for the times you can't get the cable out of the socket - for whatever reason, it doesn't open the door/flap.

The trouble is when the door is stuck (& locked) the Red cable inside the bonnet looks like the logical way of releasing the door - it doesn't.
When the flap is locked shut and you are therefore prevented from charging you tend to be quite desperate - I know I've been there- and therefore if you don't know you might pull on the red cable in desperation - and break it.

I will get a photo of the (sliding) Coloured cover when I'm back with my car.