Charge port flap release?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Pacesetter

Charge port flap release?

Post by Pacesetter » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:16 pm

Is anybody aware of a way to manually release the charge port flap? I know about the manual release for the charge cable, but it is the flap that’s not opening.
I’ve tried a forum search but couldn’t find anything.
First Edition, Corris Grey, Towbar (Jaguar), Delivered: 30/11/2018, Telematics: 14.2,InControl: S19A_19.24.2-375121
18" Wheels (aftermarket)

Thincat

Re: Charge port flap release?

Post by Thincat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:03 pm

Here is a quote from the I-Pace forum summary of tips:

"Any way to NOT lock the charging cable.
Check the post of this name for possible updates. It seems the only way to unlock the cable is to unlock the car. Therefore difficult to free up your charge point without returning to the car (can unlock via InControl but dodgy in a public place).
On a home or AC charger, one click of unlock on the fob or opening the doors by touching the handle will stop the charge and unlock the connector. At a Rapid Charger (50kW+ DC CCS), a double-click of the fob is required. This allows you to get back in the car without interrupting the charge. (Still some questionmarks as to whether this is software-version-dependent; see discussion "Frustratingly Unreliable." viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1216

In emergency, there is a pull-cord under the bonnet/froot. Don’t pull too hard - the cord has been known to come off!
Cesium Blue HSE no sunroof, air suspension, HUD. Changed 20in wheels to 18in :D .

Post by ****** » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:36 pm

Thincat wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:03 pm

Check the post of this name for possible updates. It seems the only way to unlock the cable is to unlock the car. Therefore difficult to free up your charge point without returning to the car (can unlock via InControl but dodgy in a public place).
On a home or AC charger, one click of unlock on the fob or opening the doors by touching the handle will stop the charge and unlock the connector. At a Rapid Charger (50kW+ DC CCS), a double-click of the fob is required. This allows you to get back in the car without interrupting the charge. (Still some questionmarks as to whether this is software-version-dependent; see discussion "Frustratingly Unreliable." viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1216

In emergency, there is a pull-cord under the bonnet/froot. Don’t pull too hard - the cord has been known to come off!
That only releases the charging cable. It doesn’t open the charge flap door.

Post by ***** » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:09 pm

The lock on the port is controlled by the door locking system. Unlocking the doors should unlock the charge port door by the user pressing on it then it popping open.

Try unlocking the doors using the door button. If that fails, lock the car using the door button, then with the key press the unlock button x3.

If that doesn’t work, do a dance on the roof and get a cat to look over the car. After the cat, get a labrador to to press the flap.

If the dance doesn’t work, the cat scan and lab test might give a clue :-)

Thincat

Post by Thincat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:10 pm

Goshdarnit wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:36 pm
Thincat wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:03 pm

That only releases the charging cable. It doesn’t open the charge flap door.
Good point!
Cesium Blue HSE no sunroof, air suspension, HUD. Changed 20in wheels to 18in :D .

NightFox

Post by NightFox » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:32 am

If you have 2-stage unlocking enabled, it's possible you'll need to press the unlock button twice to unlock the charging point flap.

Post by ****** » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:10 am

It is possible that there’s a fault. My wife’s Audi TT just had the exact same fault with the odd little flap that opens up for her to put some sort of bizarre smelly liquid in.

Works exactly like the charging flap on the Jag in that it unlocks with the central locking and you press it down to get it to pop open. So they can fail.

Pacesetter

Post by Pacesetter » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:57 pm

Had a visit from Jaguar Assistance and it turns out the plunger mechanism was stuck.
The flap had to be pried open (I don’t know how much force was required) and the mechanism lubricated.
All seems ok again.
Having taken a chance by arriving at work knowingly without enough charge to get home I am slightly relieved that it wasn’t anything more serious. Fortunately I work in Milton Keynes so it’s always possible to find a charger within range to get a quick top-up to get home (although by the end of this week we will have chargers installed on-site, so should have it fully covered).
First Edition, Corris Grey, Towbar (Jaguar), Delivered: 30/11/2018, Telematics: 14.2,InControl: S19A_19.24.2-375121
18" Wheels (aftermarket)

RJUK

Post by RJUK » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:52 pm

Hmm, might have to have a peek at this and give it a little lube at some point then. Sounds like a problem I wouldn't wish to have,
Narvik Black I-Pace HSE with black everything, HUD, adaptive air suspension, privacy glass. 8-)

d111112

Post by d111112 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:28 am

Yesterday the charge port flap got stuck in closed position. No opening possible anymore (charging cable could not be plugged in as a consequence). Got a new, revised open/close unit installed at the garage today in the morning. Hopefully the problem will not occur again...
I Pace EV400 S, fuji white, air susp; 18“ MY19, delivered 02/2019
H228/H264 | IMC: S20B1...| Telematics: 18.2 (J8A2-70712-AY) | BECM: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE | Home Charger: go-e HOME+
... :arrow: Didi