Turn off tailgate sensor

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
olanat

Turn off tailgate sensor

Post by olanat » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:26 pm

I got a new i-pace HSE today and it's excellent. And after some trail and error I'm starting to get a decent success rate on the gesture for opening the sensor tailgate.

Now I wonder if the tailgate could open when I don't want it to. I sometimes drive with kayaks on the roof, and bikes on the trailer hook. If the booth opened while these are attached it could be damaged.

Does anyone know if there is a switch for turning it off? Or if the trailer lights are plugged in it will turn itself off?
Corris Gray HSE - Norway

Jeggo

Re: Turn off tailgate sensor

Post by Jeggo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:27 am

Hallo olanat,

I do not know, wehre to turn of the tailgate sensors.
But they could be easily activated, when you wash your car.
I had this several times, when I rinse off the foam from the tailgate.
Only water is enough to activate the sensor.

I do not know, if the sensor is active while the ignition is turned on.

CU

Jens

olanat

Post by olanat » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:43 am

I've read that you can disable it by leaving the car in N and engage the parking brake, this will be an OK workaround when washing the car.

But for charging stops etc, you need to turn off the car. And then I keep envisioning me walking past the tailgate the same time a leaf or heavy rain trigger the tailgate and smash it into the bike rack.

For long loads on the roof, I'll configure the opening height to avoid disaster.

I'll plug my bike rack into the trailer power outlet and test if the tailgate will open.

I guess it would be easy for jlr to add a button to disable. How do we post feature requests?

- Ola
Corris Gray HSE - Norway

Bigpurplepenguin

Post by Bigpurplepenguin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:03 pm

olanat wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:43 am
I've read that you can disable it by leaving the car in N and engage the parking brake, this will be an OK workaround when washing the car.

But for charging stops etc, you need to turn off the car. And then I keep envisioning me walking past the tailgate the same time a leaf or heavy rain trigger the tailgate and smash it into the bike rack.

For long loads on the roof, I'll configure the opening height to avoid disaster.

I'll plug my bike rack into the trailer power outlet and test if the tailgate will open.

I guess it would be easy for jlr to add a button to disable. How do we post feature requests?

- Ola
I've just ordered my bike rack. Did you work out if you can disable the gesture tailgate?
Navrik Black HSE, 22" 5056 wheels, air suspension and dynamics, pano roof, privacy glass, and rear mounted bike carrier.

20B / 16.2

Post by ****** » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:28 pm

The tailgate will not activate if the key is in the car. Just leave it inside when washing it. Or don’t have they key on you at all and leave it in the house while washing the car.

mentir

Post by mentir » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:16 pm

I second the idea of adding a menu button to disable/enable the gesture tailgate. As a tip, when I wash the car, I put my phone in the same pocket as my key which effectively disables it and haven't had trouble with the gesture tailgate inadvertently opening.
I-Pace HSE, Farallon Black, Sienna Tan Performance, 20” Five Spoke "Style 5068" Gloss Black.

olanat

Post by olanat » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:45 am

I tested, and plugging the bike rack in the trailer power outlet does not deactivate the gesture. So be careful :D
Corris Gray HSE - Norway

Blue Yonder II

Post by Blue Yonder II » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:14 pm

I’ve just fitted my rear mounted bicycle carrier and the instructions state ‘Deactivate the power tailgate’ to prevent damage to the carrier or car.

I can’t find anything in the iPace Guide or in car system where it says how to do this? The only thing I can think of is to remove the tailgate fuse, which is located in the rear luggage compartment. Has anyone got an easier fix?

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:24 pm

mentir wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:16 pm
I second the idea of adding a menu button to disable/enable the gesture tailgate. As a tip, when I wash the car, I put my phone in the same pocket as my key which effectively disables it and haven't had trouble with the gesture tailgate inadvertently opening.
There is a setting on mine to do this, it just doesn't work
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

Blue Yonder II

Post by Blue Yonder II » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:33 pm

What setting is on yours, although it doesn’t work?