Road Trip; Charging in Europe - please advise.

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
patkinson1966

Road Trip; Charging in Europe - please advise.

Post by patkinson1966 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:16 am

I am planning a road trip from Yorkshire to Oslo via overnight Ferry from Hull to Rotterdam.

Visiting Amsterdam, Copenhagen and staying in Oslo. The plan is to enjoy the scenery and take a couple of boat rides.

Can any one advise on the charging cards that will b essential? Or point me to a thread with this info please?

Gotta get up now, meeting in Southampton later today. Looking forward to a charge at the Milton Keynes Coachway...
Corris Grey First Edition.

FENorway

Re: Road Trip; Charging in Europe - please advise.

Post by FENorway » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:32 am

Wait until next summer is my advice.
Charging the I-Pace is still too slow and unrealiable.
FE Corris grey light oyster/light oyster Performance 22" 5069 & 18" 1022 19B_19.40.4-436082 and 14.2

Snoerd

Post by Snoerd » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:05 am

I would go for it. Charging infrastructure in The Netherlands, Germany and Denmark is above par. Maybe not always the full 100kW, but definitely faster than 50kW. And with FastNed and Ionity, you have sufficient coverage to make it from Rotterdam to Oslo easily.
My experience so far is that New Motion has great coverage and includes FastNed, Ionity, Alego, etc. As backup, I bring along RFID cards from Maingau/Einfachstromladen and Telekom Ladestrom/Get Charge.

The only thing that could hold you back is the pricing. Fastned for example charges 0,59 euro per kWh. This is almost twice the price of the type 2 chargers that normally cost around 0,30 per kWh in The Netherlands with New Motion. This might make your trip more expensive that you thought...
--
Jaguar I-Pace S, Order date July 16, 2018
Fuji White, Tow Bar, expected build date Nov 9, expected date at dealer Nov 23, expected delivery Nov 28. Arrived at dealer Dec 17 for delivery Dec 21! :D

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:20 am

I use my Maingau card for all my Fastned charging while I use my NewMotion card for all Ionity charging. You do not need an RFID card for Fastned nor Ionity you can pay with creditcard via an account set-up in the respective apps.

From arrival in Rotterdam to Amsterdam is approx 105km (almost all highways mostly 100km/h), if you stay overnight you might be able to charge AC if not then approx 90km from Amsterdam on your way to Germany there is a Ionity station near Apeldoorn. So if you get on the Ferry with 80% SoC you should be able to go from Rotterdam Port via Amsterdam to that Ionity station.
I-pace S + HUD, Drive Pack, Light Oyster Sport Seats, Elec Tailgate, DAB+ & heated windshield I Ceasium Blue & 18" wheels

norpace

Post by norpace » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:20 am

Try Plugsurfing - works great with Ionity, as well as Fortum (large provider in Sweden and Norway). It seems to work with Fastned (Netherlands) as well, although I've never tried that.

On Ionity I get 90 kW max decreasing to approximately 50 kW when the SOC reaches 80%, and they have corridors from Hamburg to Oslo with a good charger coverage along the highways.

Tip: Unless you really want to just get here as fast as possible, driving on smaller, more scenic roads along the coast will make the trip a lot more pleasant than just staying on the highway.

Bart

Post by Bart » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:45 am

Snoerd wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:05 am
I would go for it. Charging infrastructure in The Netherlands, Germany and Denmark is above par. Maybe not always the full 100kW, but definitely faster than 50kW. And with FastNed and Ionity, you have sufficient coverage to make it from Rotterdam to Oslo easily.
My experience so far is that New Motion has great coverage and includes FastNed, Ionity, Alego, etc. As backup, I bring along RFID cards from Maingau/Einfachstromladen and Telekom Ladestrom/Get Charge.

The only thing that could hold you back is the pricing. Fastned for example charges 0,59 euro per kWh. This is almost twice the price of the type 2 chargers that normally cost around 0,30 per kWh in The Netherlands with New Motion. This might make your trip more expensive that you thought...
Agree with Snoerd. Go for it. Infrastructure on your route is OKE. When planning your trip, take in to account 50kW chargers. Lucky if you get 83-84 kw

With regard to the price: yes, Fastned is a bit pricy, but on the other hand, we have to support these companies, as they are the ones who supply us with the infrastructure and thus range we need. They need to have a positive business-case, else we all will have a "stay-cation" in stead of a "vacation" or we return to the ICE-age.
When charging at home most of the time, we will not get broke when charging every now and then at Fastned / Ionity etc.
Corris Grey, Black Exterior Pack, 20" 5-split spoke 5070, Air-suspension, HUD, DAB+,
Heated Windscreen, Heated Steering Wheel
--
In control (OTA): S19B_19.40.4-436082
Ordered 04-2018, Delivered 12-2018

ARP

Post by ARP » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:09 pm

Hi patkinson1966,

Having done a very similar trip in April, the charger cards you will need in Europe are ‘Plugsurfing’ and ‘Chargemap’ and once you arrive in Norway you are best to download the ‘Bilkraft app’ and also make sure and get your car approved as electric by ‘AutoPASS’ for the tolls and in country ferry’s. Other apps which I found useful was ‘Fastned’ and ‘Plugshare’. I travelled from the UK by ferry to Dunkirk, visiting France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Norway, and then through Denmark on the return trip to the UK. In general the charging network was better than the UK.
MY20 HSE, Farallon, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, Performance Seats, 22" 5069, Adaptive Air Suspension, AdSR, Extended Leather, Suede cloth, Panoramic, HUD, Four Zone, Ionisation, Fogs, Configurable Lighting, Activity Key, Pro Tracker.

patkinson1966

Post by patkinson1966 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:01 pm

Thanks! That’s all excellent advice...

Planning to go scenic route with no sense of urgency. Had positive experience with Fastned at their Sunderland site; got my @evthankyou there!

Charged for first time today at Milton Keynes on the Polar array and spoke with the team commissioning the four 350kW Ionity chargers... so Fastned and Ionity look like good options

Registering with Ionity right now to see if I can try the Ionity boxes tomorrow!

Update: it must be me, it’s not clear how to get a charge with Ionity... Messaged them via Twitter.
Corris Grey First Edition.

Albion

Post by Albion » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:12 am

Hi Patkinson1966 ,

You can use any RIFD card , I used NewMotion .
Or you can use the Ionity app .
Both methods work after registration and choosing a payment method ( I use PayPal) .
I' ve tried Ionity chargers in Belgium , they are a bless for us EV drivers 👍.
All the best ,
Jan

P.S : So you have used the polar chargers until now ? They work fine ?
Will have a go with Fastned in the near future .

malcolm

Post by malcolm » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:39 am

Ditto to Albion's comments
The Ionity chargers are great and made such a difference to our trip to the south of France in April, we were charging from about 20% to 100% in a little over an hour and all for the flat rate fee of 8eu :D
Just register a payment method online and then its pretty straightforward on site
NB I registered a British credit card as my payment, if you do so make sure you tell your bank about your trip abroad
I forgot and kept getting the card frozen by the bank fraud team , really frustrating!
Yulong white HSE, 20" wheels, ebony and black pack
S19B_19.40.4-436082
Telematics 14.2

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”