Confused by Preconditioning

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Pcheaven

Re: Confused by Preconditioning

Post by Pcheaven » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:23 pm

The manual seems to imply battery pre conditioning is continuous whilst it is connected to a charger
(Another reason to use timed charging to save energy !)

Seems simple enough, perhaps the API is performing as per software design, just but not as expected.
Without access to appropriate documentation, it is difficult to determine expected behaviour of API;s

Quoted below..

If the vehicle is left plugged in, battery temperature is maintained within the operating range using energy from the electricity supply. Where a departure time is also set, battery temperature is managed to give optimal performance at the specified departure time.
Currently a Phoenix orange disco sport ( using as my builders van !!! and luggage carrier when out in motorhome )
Gone : I pace 2019 First Edition. Photon Red
Gone : velar
Gone : Disco 5
Gone : 2 x disco sports

Awaiting a phev disco sport.

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:25 pm

sciencegeek wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:02 pm
Is there a temperature range where battery preconditioning is not active?
That could be the answer. It was only 13 degrees outside at the time, but the car was in the garage so possibly the ambient temperature meant the battery did not need heating or cooling. Maybe it’s just as simple as that.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.07.2-312706 Telematics: 14.2

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:28 pm

Pcheaven wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:23 pm
The manual seems to imply battery pre conditioning is continuous whilst it is connected to a charger
(Another reason to use timed charging to save energy !)

Seems simple enough, perhaps the API is performing as per software design, just but not as expected.
Without access to appropriate documentation, it is difficult to determine expected behaviour of API;s

Quoted below..

If the vehicle is left plugged in, battery temperature is maintained within the operating range using energy from the electricity supply. Where a departure time is also set, battery temperature is managed to give optimal performance at the specified departure time.
This could be correct also. It may be the case that the API is an unused flag and is not actually set. I was just curious whether anyone else had tried this and had a different result.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.

scm

Post by scm » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:03 pm

Pcheaven wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:23 pm
Ah, the old "Broken as Designed" :D

DougTheMac

Post by DougTheMac » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:10 pm

Pacesetter wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:18 pm
McRat wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:42 pm
Pre-conditioning greatly increases your 100% SOC regen.
Sometimes it turns itself off, and I don't understand why yet.
It will pre-condtion whether or not it's plugged in.
You will hear it running.

It certainly needs some polish.
You can certainly hear the fan running as it preconditions the cabin, but i have yet to be convinced it either heats or cools the battery.
Yes, I’m thoroughly confused by this too. I don’t often use it, as I seldom know my departure time in advance, but I tried it the other day, after doing a 100% charge and a “soak” for another couple of hours after reaching 100%. I have a meter on my charger. I set a departure time for an hour or so later (using the app) and absolutely nothing happened, No current drawn from charger, no fans or sound from the car. It was quite cold (12degC?) and it had been several hours since the car had been charging at any significant rate, so I would have expected something, but nada. I had NOT started remote climate.

So, either it doesn’t do anything, or it needs to be set from the car, not the app.

I will try again, setting it from the car.

But the whole thing is confusing. I would have expected setting a departure time to automatically invoke remote climate too, but it doesn’t seem to.

RTFM?

“Vehicle preconditioning provides cabin comfort before entering the vehicle and prepares it for the next departure time. It also preconditions the high voltage battery to its optimum operating temperature when the vehicle is connected to an external charging station.
If the vehicle is left plugged in, battery temperature is maintained within the operating range using energy from the electricity supply. Where a departure time is also set, battery temperature is managed to give optimal performance at the specified departure time.”

As elsewhere in the UM, clear as mud.
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster since 1Mar19
S18D_18.47.5-269316 & 14.2

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:12 pm

Likewise, it also didn’t seem to start my climate control prior to departure. As stated I set my departure time in the vehicle, not the app.

Prop

Post by Prop » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:08 pm

I have only used the preconditioning 3 times, but all 3 have been from the app. It worked for me all 3 times as far as I could tell. The car was warm at departure time and I could see it was using power from my wall charger and you could hear the fans going etc.

As to if it actually preheated the battery to optimal temperature I have no idea. I don't used time charging so I plug the car in for example at midnight with a departure time for say 9am that morning.

As the car charges to full well before my departure time it is difficult to know if it maintains the battery temperature. I do not know if it just heats the battery while charging and later say 30 mins before departure or whenever the cabin heating kicks in. All a bit of a mystery, all I know is the cabin is definitely heated on entering the car.

One other interesting observation I noted while using the app to set a departure time. It would sometimes not allow you to set a departure time stating the car was in sleep mode. I suspect this was due to the car not being used for a while and this was rectified by starting the car up manually for a minute.
White S model on 18 inch wheels

BillCB

Post by BillCB » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:55 am

I think there is confusion about preconditioning.
There is battery preconditioning which seems very well worthwhile in cold weather. This,as far as I can see, cannot be set by the Remote In Control app, only in the car itself.

Then there is cabin preconditioning which can be set by the app, and the process of which can be seen in the app.
HSE Fuji White, Black Ext Pack, Cold Climate, Adaptive Dynamics, ADSR, Fogs, Perf. Seats, HUD and pretty much all options including Cooled Glovebox!

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:59 am

BillCB wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:55 am
I think there is confusion about preconditioning.
There is battery preconditioning which seems very well worthwhile in cold weather. This,as far as I can see, cannot be set by the Remote In Control app, only in the car itself.

Then there is cabin preconditioning which can be set by the app, and the process of which can be seen in the app.
No. No confusion here. For about the fifth time in this thread, I set the departure time in the car. I checked the API repeatedly. It said BATTERY preconditioning is off. This thread is not about cabin preconditioning. I know the difference.

In addition, you are incorrect. Both cabin preconditioning and departure time can be set in the app (not the new one though). The departure time is flaky and can take a few attempts. The new app doesn’t allow departure time to be set but JLR state that the new app is not yet fully set up for the I-Pace.

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:10 am

Had an interesting development on this this morning.

I set the car up last night for times charging as detailed elsewhere and in my YouTube video. The car charged up to 89%. The charger switched off and then came on again at 05:30. Note that when you do this the car does NOT start charging again.

I then started up the a/c cabin preconditioning using my Siri shortcut. I happened to be next to the external display on my smart meter at the time and noticed that the usage jumped by around 7 kWh. I thought the car had started charging but having checked the app it had not started charging at all.

So then I decided to poll the API again to check on battery preconditioning and it returned the value “COOLING”. There was no departure time set (either in car or via app). So, contrary to what most of us thought, it would seem that if the car is plugged in and you start cabin preconditioning, it does in fact also start preconditioning the battery. If charging has been stopped by the timed charging process I use, it does not start charging at this point, but does power up the battery management system from the mains supply, even if the car is not at 100%.

It also proves that the API key is used, and that battery preconditioning does actually happen. I need to do further investigations with a set departure time to see what the results are. Not sure why it produced no result last time, unless it was just that the ambient garage temperature was within the range that the battery needs anyway.

09F98136-32CD-44EB-AEFF-E826C59B350C.png

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”