Does Regen Activate Brake Lights?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
NightFox

Does Regen Activate Brake Lights?

Post by NightFox » Mon May 20, 2019 1:34 pm

As above really, I'm assuming/hoping it doesn't as otherwise it would cause chaos on motorways with the "ripple" effect where one driver touching his brakes can snowball to following traffic coming to a standstill, but at the same time I'd be concerned not to have any indication that I'm actively slowing down when I've got some **** in his 5 series driving 1 meter behind me. I guess a gentle tap of the brake pedal when easing off might be a good idea in those circumstances.

ChrisMc

Re: Does Regen Activate Brake Lights?

Post by ChrisMc » Mon May 20, 2019 1:43 pm

There is a thread elsewhere on here talking about this and the general opinion is that regen does display the brake lights at a certain point. In fact I seem to recall my dealer confirmed this when I asked about it months ago.
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 in Black with full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc etc
InControlTouch Pro: S18D Updated 31.07.19 Updated 20.09.19 & 21.10.19 to S19B Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2?? - H228

fox_nl

Post by fox_nl » Mon May 20, 2019 1:48 pm

I can confirm this happens. Whenever the deceleration is above a certain limit, the breaklights light up. Tested it with someone driving behind me. Works pretty naturally. A small indicator in the dashboard would be a nice to have. Seems that Tesla's do offer such an indicator.

EVdilla

Post by EVdilla » Mon May 20, 2019 1:57 pm

Yes, it activates the brake lights, especially when the high regen setting is set. I've seen this when I tow a small trailer because the brake lights reflects from the trailer.

I noticed that when normal regen is set, it didn't activate the brake light when I let go of the watt pedal. But this is the same behaviour as in an ICE car.

Like others have suggested, Jaguar should do like Tesla and display a small red dot in the instrument cluster when the brake light is activated by regen.

TeslaDriver

Post by TeslaDriver » Mon May 20, 2019 2:28 pm

NightFox wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:34 pm
I'd be concerned not to have any indication that I'm actively slowing down when I've got some **** in his 5 series driving 1 meter behind me.
Don't think that's really a problem as once the Regen is at a high enough level the brake lights come on (my understanding is that regulations require that brake lights come on if a certain level of deceleration is achieved, so that is regardless of whether brake pedal pushed or something else - parachute?!)

I think my issue (wrt BMW 1M behind) is that I tend to over-regen to start with and then feather throttle, which usually means that brake lights come on, then go off, and maybe repeat the on/off as I adjust throttle ... so I probably look like a complete twit to BMW behind me ...

At times I do look at dash to see if brake lights are on ... but I'm not sure it serves much purpose, and takes my eyes off the road ... I reckon that "If car slowing down [enough] then brake lights are on" ought to be fine, and not need me trying to feather throttle to keep them off (which invariable will mean that they cycle off/on/off/... as I try to maintain that ... let alone eyes-off-road)

NightFox

Post by NightFox » Mon May 20, 2019 3:16 pm

Great, thanks for the answers everyone - looks like it's a sensible setup where the lights only activate at a certain level of deceleration.

And thanks to the forum for automatically hyperlinking my OP to some random sticker on Amazon!

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Mon May 20, 2019 5:35 pm

The do but still does not stop the aggressive tailgaters usually in a Beemer or Audi for some reason. I may get a rear facing camera just to put their stupidity on the Internet along with their registration number.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S19B_* Maps : whatever is current.

Bart

Post by Bart » Mon May 20, 2019 6:15 pm

NightFox wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:34 pm
As above really, I'm assuming/hoping it doesn't as otherwise it would cause chaos on motorways with the "ripple" effect where one driver touching his brakes can snowball to following traffic coming to a standstill, but at the same time I'd be concerned not to have any indication that I'm actively slowing down when I've got some **** in his 5 series driving 1 meter behind me. I guess a gentle tap of the brake pedal when easing off might be a good idea in those circumstances.
According to some, the braking lights turn on when the deceleration is above 0.12 G
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/06/fo ... ng-ev-yet/
Corris Grey, Black Exterior Pack, 20" 5-split spoke 5070, Air-suspension, HUD, DAB+,
Heated Windscreen, Heated Steering Wheel
--
In control (OTA): S19B_19.40.4-436082
Ordered 04-2018, Delivered 12-2018

Pcheaven

Post by Pcheaven » Mon May 20, 2019 6:25 pm

I found this online - it seems to suggest brake light activation is based upon deceleration rate

Draw your own conclusions

CFE55F62-006A-428B-B62C-7B0C972DFCD8.png

R13hr2e.pdf
(571.19 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Currently a Phoenix orange disco sport ( using as my builders van !!! and luggage carrier when out in motorhome )
Gone : I pace 2019 First Edition. Photon Red
Gone : velar
Gone : Disco 5
Gone : 2 x disco sports

Awaiting a phev disco sport.

Pcheaven

Post by Pcheaven » Mon May 20, 2019 6:28 pm

So “around” 0.1g - 0.13g ish, which seems to agree with what was posted on this forum a while ago.
Currently a Phoenix orange disco sport ( using as my builders van !!! and luggage carrier when out in motorhome )
Gone : I pace 2019 First Edition. Photon Red
Gone : velar
Gone : Disco 5
Gone : 2 x disco sports

Awaiting a phev disco sport.

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”