Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Daisy chaining type 2 cable as an extension

8K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Pcheaven 
#1 ·
Random question

I have 2 type 2 cables.

Can they be chained together to make one long one

Just thinking about when I am out and about. Often spaces are iced. A long cable may be useful

Has anyone tried this.
Assuming there are no electronics and cable crossing I assume this will work.

Or go bang :)

#3 ·
I did suspect it would be an issue.

Have seen quite a few extension cables out there.
They all look like cheap Chinese equipment.
And identical to the bargains available on alibaba.

Not for me.

May just buy a 10m lead, and sell my spare JLr one.

#4 ·
Can confirm it won't work.

So I have a spare charge lead now :)

Spare jlr lead anyone ?

#5 ·
This subject has been covered in some detail under the subject "Charging Port Laterality"

Here is a post I made regarding my 10m extension lead (It works fine):

Post by Thincat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:53 pm
I had a Pod Point charger with a fixed cable fitted in my double garage and I have made a hole in the wall so that I can pass the plug through it and use it outside but I have found that the cable is really too short to use outside the garage unless I take great care to get the car in the right position. The car has not arrived yet so I'm not faced with an immediate problem and I have been considering what to do.

Having the cable swapped for a longer one would cost more than having an additional charger fitted :shock:

So I searched to see if it was possible to buy an extension lead and it turns out that you can get them for between about £150 and £200 depending on the supplier and the length. You can get 3m, 5m, 7.5m, 10m ... even as much as 20m

You do have to be careful that the cable has been designed for this particular use otherwise the pins transmitting the signals are not long enough to make contact.

#6 ·
I use a Type 2 "extension" cable successfully. The quality of the "extension" Type 2 cable seems to matter -- my extension cable is notably thicker than the EVSE cable and just seems generally sturdier. You want to minimize resistance and loss in the connections.

#7 ·
You would think so

However from what I have seen. The better cables use slightly thinner eu/German cable as opposed to many Chinese leads that use thick cheap cable.

You can't extend a normal cable using another cable 99% of the time as the signal pins don't make contact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.