Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Sudden acceleration in reverse

11K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Hlm 
#1 ·
Tuesday April 9.th:
I ignited my EV and set it in reverse mode. When I moved the foot from brake to gas pedal the EV suddendly started to accelerate full speed in reverse. I was throwed forward into the seat belt caused by heavy acceleration and was not able to reach the brake.
The car crashed with full throttle into a stone fence. Severe damage rear and car not drivable.
If anyone had been behind the car when it happened, they would be killed.
Cars picked up by towing truck/Jaguar assistance. No answers yet from Jaguar.

I have always had the I-pace in creep mode.
It was in creep mode before the incident. Interestingly when Jaguar logget the car after the crash, the creep mode was in "off" modus.
So the car must have turned the creep mode off as a part of the failure.

Anyone experienced any similar?

My EV has earlier had a lot of software problem/black & dead screens.
Beautiful car to drive and owe, but if dangerous and potential runaway car I am scared.

See less See more
#3 ·
Not to be difficult, but in your original post regarding this on the Norwegian forums you said it was your wife who experienced this and hence your statement is based on second hand information. In this post you say you yourself drove the car.

Which one is correct?

Also, creep being disabled occasionally has been reported here before if I remember correctly so possibly a known issue with the software.

#4 ·
ardevd said:
Also, creep being disabled occasionally has been reported here before if I remember correctly so possibly a known issue with the software.
No view on the crash

Regarding creep not being activated on startup, or its status being reset with a new ignition cycle is a known issue on software up to and including 19a.07
User profiles does help.... a little

#6 ·
I read a story like this, and I went out to my car and tested it in both Creep On and Creep Off.

Yeah, like most cars, if you floor it in reverse, it jumps. I did not test the reverse speed limiter since I was on public roads. It was easy for me (two injured legs) to lift the accelerator. IIRC, the car will accelerate at 0.6x g. When you are standing upright, your feet experience 1 g.

When Creep is On, the car will go about 5kmh, but might take a little nudge on the accelerator to get rolling.

I suggest folk leave Creep On and Low Regen, so the car acts more like a gasoline car. But I drive with Creep Off.

I too found it doesn't save the Creep Setting, but my Profile has it off.

#7 ·
I'm sorry you had such a bad accident, but after such a bad experience what is your motivation to 1) join this forum and 2) make such a post ?

Do you have a photograph of the damage ? It would be interesting to see what happened to the car.

G
#8 ·
Sad to hear that your beautiful I-Pace is severely damaged, but happily nobody hurt. I have no such dramatic experience as yourself, but always find the control in reverse a little bit difficult, as the visibility is limited, and the rear of the car quite difficult to judge looking backward through the rear window.

I hope your insurance will deal with your damage swiftly, and you can regain your confidence in the vehicle. I have never used the 'creep' feature, and have managed to learn to use the brake to catch any roll-back when coming to a rest in normal forward driving, where the characteristic of the car diverges from the normal feel of an automatic.

#10 ·
Billy Bunter said:
I'm sorry you had such a bad accident, but after such a bad experience what is your motivation to 1) join this forum and 2) make such a post ?

Do you have a photograph of the damage ? It would be interesting to see what happened to the car.
1. To learn more about the i-pace and try to understand more of the incident.
2 . To share information, and hear if others have exprerienced the any similar.

#11 ·
Villa said:
Billy Bunter said:

1. To learn more about the i-pace and try to understand more of the incident.
2 . To share information, and hear if others have exprerienced the any similar.
Excuse my cynicism, but it is a potentially very 'damaging' post and not one I personally would make without being very clear of the facts; it is unclear from the limited information presented where the fault lies; yet your post seems to squarely put the blame on the car which (as I say) is a potentially very "damaging" thing to do. Do you believe the car was at fault or is it possible your foot was a bit heavy under the acceleration ?

Coupled with the fact these are your first posts, without any photographs, the pattern rings all the alarm bells for somebody who's only intention is to damage the brand (trolling), hence my cynicism.

One way to help disprove that would be to show us some photographs of the car and the damage it sustained, then at least we have some confidence you are a real owner reporting a real event. It is quite unusual for someone to post about such an event on a forum without some "hey look at this !" photographs. It would also be interesting & very useful to other forum members to see how the car stood up to the impact.

Again excuse my cynicism, but internet forums (and this one especially) suffer from that sort of behaviour so things like this really should be considered carefully.

#12 ·
I remember a spate of similar complaints from Tesla owners a while back, and in every case that I remember, subsequent investigation revealed that drivers had accidentally pressed the accelerator pedal, thinking they were hitting the brakes. I wonder if there is a human factors issue with single pedal driving whereby muscle memory means that people are not used to hitting the brakes and so go for the wrong one.

Also, just out of curiosity, I tried flooring it in reverse earlier on some empty ground at work, and whilst it was fast, I was not forced into a position where I was "unable to reach the brakes".

I would also very much like to see the photographs.

#14 ·
Tophe74 said:
Were u in sport mode? Because in this mode the throttle pedal is very sensitive.
True but would that not be odd - you have to actively switch on Sport Mode when you start it car as it always begins in Comfort mode.
Would be surprised if people select Sports Mode prior to reversing their car off the driveway.

#16 ·
Sudden Unintended Acceleration is a common issue with all brands. This predates digital engine controls and EVs.
It's embarrassing, so it is not uncommon for the victim to be perplexed.
Hate to admit it, but I did it in a golf cart of all things. I swore I pushed the brake, and the engine was stuck full throttle when it crashed.
But I realized if pushed the brake, it would stop the cart even at full throttle.

#17 ·
It is curious that both on this and the US forum where this issued has also been posted, dating back to the original alleged incident on April 9th, there have been repeated requests to Villa to please show some pictures of the damaged car and yet neither she nor her husband has done so.
Yes, let's give her the benefit of the doubt about what happened but it would certainly be exceedingly helpful to see the outcome of what would have been a deeply distressing and potentially highly lethal accident.
I write as someone who had the whole front bay of my brick built house destroyed by an elderly lady who came out of church after Mass, got into her 1 week old Smart car and then somehow mistook her brake and accelerator pedals and rammed our house at sufficient speed to move the bay by some several centimetres.
Not only are Villa or her husband not posting photos but they also don't seem to be answering the possibility raised her and on the US forum that what happened was down possibly to human error rather than something mechanical or electronic with the car.

#18 ·
I know some people think the DNRP buttons are in reverse so I can totally see how someone in a hurry would jump in the car, accidentally hit R instead of D and punch the throttle.

I find it odd that a user with the exact same user name posted this same thing on the Norwegian EV forums but then it was second hand information posted by the husband after the wife drove the car. Now it's the wife posting the same story here (pretty much identical word for word) with the same user name but now it's suddenly a first hand account. And no pictures to show for it

#19 ·
Goshdarnit said:
I remember a spate of similar complaints from Tesla owners a while back, and in every case that I remember, subsequent investigation revealed that drivers had accidentally pressed the accelerator pedal, thinking they were hitting the brakes. I wonder if there is a human factors issue with single pedal driving whereby muscle memory means that people are not used to hitting the brakes and so go for the wrong one.
I've done this couple of times already in the few days of owning the car :) In my case I think the problem is coming from life-long three pedal driving, and it seems the fact that one foot is no longer in use somehow makes the other foot confused occasionally. One thing however is that pressing on the brakes is usually a very gentle sensitive motion therefore those times when I pressed accelerator thinking I was pressing the brakes it was startling but fairly easy to correct.

#20 ·
Since Jaguar is still doing their investigations, I do not want to bring more fire to the various comments. But upon request here is som pics.

I placed the foot on the brake (wearing sneakers), ignited the car, turned off the parking brake, set the car in reverse and turned the steering wheel sharp to the right (to prepare a 90 degree turn in ordrer to reverse back and so drive out from the courtyard).
The car was standing aprox 7-8 meters from the stone wall. I looked into the kamerascreen and moved the foot from the brake to the gas pedal and touched the gas pedal gently, the car took off suddenly in high speed in a sharp turn, hitting the stone wall right behind (the car was parallell to the stonewall before I started to drive). I was not able to react, it happened so quickly and I was foreced forward and to the left because of the sharp turn.

The car is a beautiful car to drive and owe (best car I ever have driven), and I hope it's possible for Jaguar to find out what happened. Both for mine and Jaguars sake. /b. Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
View attachment 2179 View attachment 2178 View attachment 2180 View attachment 2137

Attachments

#22 ·
Exactly the same happened to me!!!
View attachment 2674

Sorry, just kidding :lol: , got hit from the back by another car.

Nevertheless, if the car from the topic starter indeed crashed into the wall by sudden acceleration and not by human error, that is really worrisome. Glad to see that there is only a single incident reported so far.

Attachments

#23 ·
And that is not driveable? Is there more damage that we're not seeing?

As others have said, I suspect the issue here is using the wrong pedal, or accidentally pushing the pedal a bit hard to begin with.

If you're used to a torque converter automatic, or a manual, then maybe you're used to having a bit of "slack" before getting full transmission engagement.

Out of interest, how fast can the I-Pace go in reverse, and presumably creep does work in reverse?

Reactions: GSIpace
#24 ·
Tuesday April 9.th:
I ignited my EV and set it in reverse mode. When I moved the foot from brake to gas pedal the EV suddendly started to accelerate full speed in reverse. I was throwed forward into the seat belt caused by heavy acceleration and was not able to reach the brake.
The car crashed with full throttle into a stone fence. Severe damage rear and car not drivable.
If anyone had been behind the car when it happened, they would be killed.
Cars picked up by towing truck/Jaguar assistance. No answers yet from Jaguar.

I have always had the I-pace in creep mode.
It was in creep mode before the incident. Interestingly when Jaguar logget the car after the crash, the creep mode was in "off" modus.
So the car must have turned the creep mode off as a part of the failure.

Anyone experienced any similar?

My EV has earlier had a lot of software problem/black & dead screens.
Beautiful car to drive and owe, but if dangerous and potential runaway car I am scared.
Hello. Exactly the same thing has just happened to me. Terrifying. Thank goodness no one hurt. A few weeks ago, something similar. Again in reverse. Less dramatic the first time and I blamed myself. Thought I’d done something wrong. I’d love to know how your situation was resolved. I’ve never been on one of these forums before. Not sure how they work. Do we speak directly?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.