Owner Thoughts/Experience?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
RJUK

Owner Thoughts/Experience?

Post by RJUK » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:18 pm

Hi folks, first time poster here. I'm currently contemplating an I-Pace as my next car, but wanted to get opinions from existing owners on how viable an option an EV is in the UK currently.

My daily commute (and 80% of what the car will be used for) is a 5 mile drive to and from work each day, however, the car will be a company car and I'd need to be able to cover some decent mileage on days when I'm out visiting clients (2 - 4 days a month on average).

Looking at an EV charger map that I found online there didn't seem to be quite the abundance of chargers that I was expecting, and those available didn't seem to be all that quick (does the UK still have no 100kw chargers?).

So, I was just wondering what people's opinions on having an EV as their only car were? Saying the car has a realistic 200 mile range sounds like a lot, until you realise that only gives you 100 miles if you want to be able to get home in the same day without having to "risk" charging.

From what I've briefly seen here, not only are there not a great deal of chargers out there, but that when you find one it's either a.) a really slow one, b.) broken, or c.) has somebody in the process of charging their car with it.

So it's not even a case of "if I run out of juice I'll have to dive into the nearest services and pay to charge my car over 45 minutes", but more that "if I run out of juice I have to hope there's a charger nearby and that it's not really slow, broken, or occupied", else a simple day on the road could end up being a bit of a nightmare.

Or is this not the case?

Obviously a car is a big investment, and if you take PCP or a lease then you're tied in for a number of years, so it's something I want to be sure of before committing.

FWIW, I live in Bristol, which doesn't have as many charges as I'd have hoped, from the maps I've seen online - certainly not as many as in London, though better than some areas.

Thanks in advance.
Russ

Pacesetter

Re: Owner Thoughts/Experience?

Post by Pacesetter » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:10 pm

It absolutely depends on your own lifestyle how viable it is.
Based on what you have posted; it is obviously no issue for your regular daily use, so the key thing is how far you need to travel on your client visit days, and to a certain extent whereabouts in the country they are. If a client day is 150 miles or less then you should be fine, but if it's more than that you will need to take a look at where you will be travelling and compare it with Zap Map.

Incidentally, don't base all your calculations on 200 miles. Most of the time that would be OK but I assume you will also visit clients in the winter, in which case your achievable range could be nearer 170 miles on a cold, bad weather day.
First Edition, Corris Grey

RJUK

Post by RJUK » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:42 pm

Good to know, thanks. I had already thought that I was being conservative enough at 200 miles to factor in the winter cold, but obviously not.

What about if I connected to the mains overnight and pre-heated the battery ready for when I left on client visits, could I assume a 200 mile range then, or would the battery cool enough to deplete just from being sat parked for an hour here and there?

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:13 pm

RJUK wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:42 pm
Good to know, thanks. I had already thought that I was being conservative enough at 200 miles to factor in the winter cold, but obviously not.

What about if I connected to the mains overnight and pre-heated the battery ready for when I left on client visits, could I assume a 200 mile range then, or would the battery cool enough to deplete just from being sat parked for an hour here and there?
I would not assume 200 miles - Yes Chewy can do 270 miles but most of us can do 180-200 miles at highway speeds.
Key element is what is your average speed? If you drive continuously 80mph you should count maybe with 140 miles but if you drive 50-60mph or not all highway I would say 170-180 miles is certainly realistic.

The other thing to know/realize is that charging time doesn't need to be LOST time - if you can get to the customer without charging and then on your way back charge - you can do your emails, write report of customer visit, etc etc while the car is charging. Twice I was so busy doing emails or work calls that I didn't realize the car was charged already above the 90%.

For my wife that was the big positive surprise on our long trip (920km to & from wintersport), we made in total 10 stops of avg 45 minutes which in total is 7.5hrs which sounds a lot but time goes by quite quickly. If you make a fuel stop with an ICE car it is 5 minutes filling tank - 5 minutes paying - 5 minutes moving car - 10-15 minutes for toilet and coffee so that is already 30 minutes. Our 2 kids were happy when we stopped because they could play videogames (they get sick if they do that while driving) and any remaining time my wife spend reading magazines or watching Netflix.
I-pace S + HUD, Drive Pack, Light Oyster Sport Seats, Elec Tailgate, DAB+ & heated windshield I Ceasium Blue & 18" wheels

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:26 pm

Jelle v/d Meer wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:13 pm

If you make a fuel stop with an ICE car it is 5 minutes filling tank - 5 minutes paying - 5 minutes moving car - 10-15 minutes for toilet and coffee so that is already 30 minutes.
Totally agree. There is no such thing as “5 minute fuel stop”.

In 10000 miles with my I-Pace I have probably been involved in the charging process for pretty much no time at all. The only time that actually needs the owner involved is plugging the car in and unplugging it. ICE vehicle owners have to stand out in all weathers in dirty diesel environments for considerable time while “filling” their cars and then going to a cashier and handing over wads of money to pay for the fuel. And they have to do it every time they are low on fuel. Quite often this will require a specific drive to a fuel station as well. With an EV you arrive home, plug in and in the morning you have a full battery :-)
Caesium Blue S. 250mi range on 18” wheels in the Winter. Hoping for 300 miles range when it warms up. S19A-07, 15.2

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:59 pm

Is it quicker to refuel or recharge

MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 in Black with full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc etc

Discovery Sport DSL SW 2.0 TD4 180 SE Tech Auto / Kaikoura Stone / Ebony full leather / Pano Roof

RJUK

Post by RJUK » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:16 pm

That's all well and good, but my current company car is a BMW 320d, so I can fill that thing up and not worry about fuel again for a month or so. Or fill it up for customer visits and know that I won't need to stop at all to refuel, meaning I can get home to my family on time. If I had to factor in a re-charge of 45 minutes or so then I'm just delaying getting home. Although, it's not that really worrying me, it's more whether I'd even be able to find somewhere to charge and if it would be vacant and working. Also, for that 45 minute charge I'd need a rapid charger. If it was a 7kw charger I might need to stay there for a day to get charged!

Or are people really not having this problem in the UK? At first I thought the I-Pace could be the ideal car for me, and it possibly still is, it's just whether the infrastructure is there to support it effectively...

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:31 pm

RJUK wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:16 pm
That's all well and good, but my current company car is a BMW 320d, so I can fill that thing up and not worry about fuel again for a month or so. Or fill it up for customer visits and know that I won't need to stop at all to refuel, meaning I can get home to my family on time. If I had to factor in a re-charge of 45 minutes or so then I'm just delaying getting home. Although, it's not that really worrying me, it's more whether I'd even be able to find somewhere to charge and if it would be vacant and working. Also, for that 45 minute charge I'd need a rapid charger. If it was a 7kw charger I might need to stay there for a day to get charged!

Or are people really not having this problem in the UK? At first I thought the I-Pace could be the ideal car for me, and it possibly still is, it's just whether the infrastructure is there to support it effectively...
The 320D probably manages around 500 miles on tank at most? If you only fill it up once a month then the I-Pace will easily do what you need. Remember, every morning when you start the car you will always have 200 miles of range. For longer journeys, there are over 1500 CCS chargers in the UK, 4x the number of Tesla Superchargers. The problem chargers are those provided by Ecotricity at MSA locations. They have managed to get exclusive rights for MSAs but don’t provide a good service to their customers. However, you can always find another CCS located not far from the motorway network that will usually provide the full 50kW charge rate. Tesla do have most of their chargers at MSAs, but have paid a lot of money to Ecotricity for this.

An EV of any sort, including Tesla, will never be able to do a very long trip faster than your BMW.

Charging at 7kW is usually only carried out on your home charger or with an overnight stop at a hotel on what is known as a “destination charger”.
Last edited by Chewy on Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caesium Blue S. 250mi range on 18” wheels in the Winter. Hoping for 300 miles range when it warms up. S19A-07, 15.2

RJUK

Post by RJUK » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply. I think the 320ed that I have does 600 or so miles on a tank. Admittedly I never completely fill it, I'd just be carrying unnecessary weight, so I usually put in around 3/4 of a tank. However, my concern is that on occasions when I go slightly further afield to see several customers on a given day, whether in the I-Pace I'd have enough juice for the whole round trip. And every year just before Xmas we have to go out to see a load of customers in a single day, carting the usual wine, chocolates, hampers etc about with us.

My concern is convincing my employer to allow me to have the I-Pace, then being unable to visit customers further afield and fulfil my Xmas duties. Being mid-December (I.E. cold) I guess the car would have reduced range. Then add extra weight, extra use of the heaters, the lights, the wipers and the sat Nav, and perhaps my range will be greatly reduced and I'll find myself not leaving at 9 and getting home at 5:30, but rather sat in a service station waiting for my car to charge, or for a charger to become available, at 5:30pm, miles from home, wishing I'd gone for an ICE vehicle.

I'm hoping you can tell me otherwise though, because I really want an I-Pace!

RJUK

Post by RJUK » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:57 pm

A quick question - how accurate is Zap Map?

Only, the majority of chargers on there are shown as "fast chargers 7kw - 22kw", but as I understand it, the I-Pace can't charge at 22kw, so I'd be stuck with just 7kw and a 13 hour charge?

There are far less markers for rapid chargers, at least in the South West...

Also, it shows people's home chargers... What's that all about?! The only one anywhere near my house is actually somebody in the same road as me, but I can't imagine he'd be very happy if I rocked up on his driveway and plugged my car in!

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”