Preferred Charging START TIME (and 80% Charging)

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
symos

Re: Preferred Charging START TIME (and 80% Charging)

Post by symos » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:34 pm

Expanding on rad's question, I was thinking of getting a "dumb" charger and connecting it to a smart outlet (mennekes or something that would be properly rated), controlled via wifi.

The reason for this is because I want it to connect to (and be controlled by) my smart home hub and it's much easier to do it that way, instead of looking for compatible smart chargers. Not to mention it'd be much cheaper, too.

Does anyone see a problem with this setup? In theory it should work exactly like a smart charger that turns power on and off. But maybe the smart charger keeps some kind of communication with the car open while not providing any power? So if it was completely dead it wouldn't work?

I don't see any reason why powering the system on should be any different than connecting a live cable, but I thought it's best to confirm if anyone knows for a fact this will work.

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:44 pm

rad wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:49 am
electric beagle wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:01 am
I have my Andersen Charger set up to come on from 12:30 to 04:30 each day. The Andersen charge app is much more reliable than getting the car to do it. It works really well,is simple and intuitive. Very occasionally my Andersen Charger loses WiFi connectivity but it's never been an issue for charging.

The Ohme does nothing the andersen doesn't do except link to the agile tariff which I don't think would work as well for me as Go does.

There is no need to fiddle with timed charging on your car the charger takes care of all the timing.
Thanks! This is what I was looking for (and hoping). I remember seeing a video that Abu Dhabi Dude posted some time ago, where - despite having set the timed charging on his home charger - the I Pace stopped looking for a charge some time after it was plugged in, and therefore he had to make a work-around using (in addition to the timing on the charger app) preferred charging times and setting a departure time in the car, which seemed like a real faff. It would now seem that this is no longer necessary with the latest Jaguar software updates.
I have definitely not experienced this what happens when you plug the car in (until the timer comes on) is that the car stays at initialising charge then starts charging when the timer turns it on and returns to initialising. I have left it like that for 3 days to fully charge at off peak rate and it worked perfectly.

It's a piece of cake to set up on the Andersen Connect+ app too. The app tracks your total charge and costs too.

It's a shame that it doesn't properly integrate into the smart home but that's a pretty minor annoyance really and could be solved through improved software.
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

rad

Post by rad » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:28 pm

So basically a smart changer like the Andersen mitigates any failings in the Jaguar timed charging. Good.
Awaiting delivery: 2021 HSE - Portofino Blue with lots of black, inside and out.

jpbates

Post by jpbates » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:39 pm

Zappi works in same way. I just set times in Zappi, no need to do anything in car. It then charges from Go tariff only and also from solar if enough production
MY20 16th July HSE Firenze Red, Pano Roof, HUD, Black pack, 5055 18", Air&Adaptive, Front Fogs, Ebony Sports Seats.
S20C_20.43.1-618886; 19.2; BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE; 08.030.0115.0153
Zappi 2.0 Untethered. share.octopus.energy/lemon-wasp-593

NigelC

Post by NigelC » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:52 pm

We have a BP Chargemaster unit in our garage. The cable is tethered, so I can't use an Ohme smart cable.

A word of caution for others who may have the same set up. Stay well away from the BP Chargemaster App for setting up a timed charge. I set up a schedule using the Chargemaster App and ended up in a right mess. The charger became unresponsive and I couldn't delete the schedule until the following day.

I've not found setting up the timed charging from within the I-Pace to be too bad. If you want to charge at the same time of day, you only need to set it once. Thereafter you only need to set a departure time (takes about 20 secs), when you want to set up a timed charge.

Chargingthe I-Pace for me has been pretty straightforward, except for that one time when I tried to use the BP Chargemaster app!

Kind regards,
Nigel
MY 20 SE Corris Grey
Delivered 09/19
H264, H270, 20C

Ascot

Post by Ascot » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:49 pm

symos wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:34 pm
Expanding on rad's question, I was thinking of getting a "dumb" charger and connecting it to a smart outlet (mennekes or something that would be properly rated), controlled via wifi.

Does anyone see a problem with this setup? In theory it should work exactly like a smart charger that turns power on and off. But maybe the smart charger keeps some kind of communication with the car open while not providing any power? So if it was completely dead it wouldn't work?
The main issue with a 'dumb' charger is that it will not qualify for an OLEV grant so you will be throwing away £350.
You need to install a smart charger these days to qualify for the grant.

You can use a smart charger in 'dumb' mode and control it as you wish.
MY21 HSE on order.

Share £100 with me when switching to Octopus: share.octopus.energy/navy-gull-138

symos

Post by symos » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:59 pm

Ascot wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:49 pm
The main issue with a 'dumb' charger is that it will not qualify for an OLEV grant so you will be throwing away £350.

Thanks Ascot. I'm not in the UK, so the grant is not really an issue!

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:49 am

Ascot wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:49 pm
symos wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:34 pm

Even in the UK the grant is lots of faff and offset in part or full by being overcharged for the installation.the install task is very very simple yet I ended up paying over £500 for it to get the "benefit" of the grant, it was not a good trade but similarly I don't see the point in having 2 pieces of kit to fail rather than just one.
MY21HSE, Portofino Blue, Oyster interior, Wireless Charger, Cupholder Covers, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Clear Sight rear view mirror, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Upgraded Cabin Lighting, Aluminium trim, Andersen EV Charger

rad

Post by rad » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:15 am

I had an electrical company in London come out to Windsor to install my Andersen A2 charger. They charged £400 for the installation, which included travelling out to me, fitting a new mini fuse-box within the main power supply/meter box on the wall of the house, next to where the charger was mounted. I had to pay additional costs for materials, but the electrician was there for about 5 hours doing all this, so I thought it was a reasonable cost. In addition they took care of the OLEV grant entirely and issued the NICEIC certificate.
Awaiting delivery: 2021 HSE - Portofino Blue with lots of black, inside and out.

electric beagle

Post by electric beagle » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:56 am

rad wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:15 am
I had an electrical company in London come out to Windsor to install my Andersen A2 charger. They charged £400 for the installation, which included travelling out to me, fitting a new mini fuse-box within the main power supply/meter box on the wall of the house, next to where the charger was mounted. I had to pay additional costs for materials, but the electrician was there for about 5 hours doing all this, so I thought it was a reasonable cost. In addition they took care of the OLEV grant entirely and issued the NICEIC certificate.
I paid more than that for the Andersen install right next to my fuse box with no significant work beyond adding in a new switch to the board I could have had it done locally for
£200 and had to jump through flaming hoops to give the Andersen team documentation. It took an hour.