Preferred Charging START TIME (and 80% Charging)

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
DougTheMac

Preferred Charging START TIME (and 80% Charging)

Post by DougTheMac » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:23 pm

The topic of Preferred Charging Period or PCP has been quiet for a while, slightly to my surprise. I’m not sure whether this means everyone but me has got it working to their satisfaction, or whether everyone has given up and is more concerned about more major problems.

The original thread “How to use the "Charge period” in InControl” runs to 18 pages and has some nuggets but a lot of off-topic chat, and no clear overall conclusion. The most recent post was a month ago.

So, I’ve started this new topic, and called it “Preferred Charging START TIME”, as for reasons explained below, you cannot control the end of the charge.

After several failed attempts with PCP, I’d given up and assumed it all just didn’t work. I had specified a mechanical timeswitch on my home charger Installation, so I can ensure the use of off-peak ‘leccy without relying on JLR software... But I studied the posts on the earlier threads again, especially the detailed inputs from JohnGriff and Brianscott757 and Marv on p13, and after a lot of experimentation, have at last got it working satisfactorily. So I thought I’d share this summary (?) of my and others’ conclusions:

The procedure is fairly straightforward once you understand the rather unnecessary constraints JLR have built in to the process. These are:

(1) It only works if a departure time is set.

(2). It’s a PREFERRED charging period. Priority is given to achieving 100% SoC by the set departure time. If the car thinks there isn’t enough time within the Preferred Charge Period and before the set Departure Time, charging will start immediately and completely ignore the “preferred” settings. Because of this, the set END of the PCP is irrelevant; the car will always charge to 100% unless unplugged. Hence I prefer to call it the Preferred Charging START TIME or PCST.

(3) PCST has to be activated EVERY TIME, from WITHIN THE CAR. Parameters can be set via the App, but it has to be activated from the car. Subsequent editing of the parameters from the App will cancel activation and require it to be reactivated from inside the car. So, on the whole, it’s better to do it all from the car.

(4) It can only be activated immediately after pressing the “stop” button.

(5) The charging cable must be plugged in to the car AFTER activation.

(6) The system is determined to get to 100% SoC, and will do everything it can to thwart any attempt to limit the max SoC!

So, once you understand these constraints, setting it up isn’t too difficult after all:

(1) Set an artificial departure time for a time long after the vehicle will be fully charged, eg 1600 next day.

(2) Set the Preferred Charge Period to start at your desired time, and to be more than long enough to reach 100% SoC.

(3) If not already so, put the car in “Ready” mode (what JLR quaintly refer to as “the electric motor running”, ie after having pressed “Start” with your foot on the brake pedal). If previously stopped, wait for the system to fully boot up (which takes some time). (Contrary to JohnGriff’s comments a while back, you DON’T need to have selected D or moved the car. This may have changed?? I’m on 18D.)

(4) Press “Stop”. You should then get the version of the “Goodbye” screen with the buttons to activate Timed Charging. (If you haven’t correctly set both a Departure Time and a PCP, you will get the other version of the “Goodbye” screen, without the “Timed Charge” buttons.). Press the Timed Charging On button.

(5) Get out of the car and plug in the charging cable. The dashboard display should now say “Timed Charging” IN BLUE. You can now lock the car.

All reasonably straightforward once you’ve done it a couple of times.

Note that it ONLY sets a START time for charging. The car will always charge to 100%. If you try to set a stop time which doesn’t give enough time to reach 100%, the system will ignore PCP settings altogether and start charging as soon as you plug it in. Ditto if the Departure Time is too soon to reach 100% SoC.

The ONLY way to completely stop charging is to unplug (or cut the power to the car). “Pausing” using the App will not work unless you ALSO delete the Departure Time. (It may momentarily stop charging, but will restart again almost immediately.) Even if you delete DT and then pause the charge, the car continues to take short bursts of power every few minutes, which seems to be intended to keep the battery up to temperature, but has the effect of slowly increasing SoC until 100% is eventually reached.

If you have a home charge point with a separate timer, you can use that to both ensure you use off-peak electricity and to set an approx max SoC, and ignore PCP completely. Say your off-peak time is 00-07h, and your 7kW charger gets you about 7% SoC/hr. If you are recharging from 50%, and want to stop at 80%, you need to charge for around 4 hours, so you set your chargepoint’s timer for 03-07h.

So, if you have a chargepoint timer, PCST doesn’t do anything you can’t do with the timer, in fact less (on but not off control). However, if your charger timer is like mine, and very fiddly to adjust, you can get some benefit by using the chargepoint timer to control the OFF time and PCST to set the on time. Just leave the chargepoint timer set for your off-peak times, and use PCST to set a start time to give the desired length of charge and hence %SoC in the morning. Of course, if you need more charge than you can get during your off-peak window, you have to change the chargepoint timer settings.

If you don’t have a chargepoint timer, you need to decide whether limiting max SoC or minimising the use of peak-rate electricity is more important to you. If the former, use PCST to set a start time such that the desired SoC will be reached at about the time you will be awake in the morning and able to physically unplug the car. If the latter, set the PCST to start at the beginning of your off-peak window.

The other thing you can’t easily do is precondition the batteries at less than 100% SoC. If power is maintained to the car, the SoC will eventually reach 100%. In practice, this is not so much of a problem. If you drive to work, you are probably getting in the car within an hour or so of the end of the off-peak window (typically 00-07h in UK). So, just set the start time of the PCST to be such that you will reach 80% (or whatever you prefer) by your intended actual departure time. The batteries will be warm from charging, and you will have charged mostly using off-peak. You still need to have set the car’s Departure Time to be much later, or, as explained above, PCST will be ignored as the system will insist on you being at 100% SoC at the Departure Time. If you need to pre-heat the cabin, you need to do that separately using the App 20-30 min before actual departure.

So, if you’ve read all this, thanks, and I hope it (a) makes sense and (b) is all correct. I guess this will be old hat for many of you but hopefully useful for some.

If one or two of you could please confirm (a) and (b), I’ll put a condensed version of this in my “summary of tips” sticky post, overdue for an update.
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster since 1Mar19
S20B1_20.30.2-578440 & anon (never upgraded at dealer)

Dtrawford

Re: Preferred Charging START TIME (and 80% Charging)

Post by Dtrawford » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:51 pm

An interesting read here.
My Open EVSE charger at home does do timed charging but so far even though I have set it up on cheaper electricity timings it has failed to begin charging.
That may be because I didn’t set the slider inside the car to on to activate from the charger when it turned the power on.
I will experiment tomorrow evening and let you know
Farallon black HSE, 20” wheels , oyster interior

Garryjw

Post by Garryjw » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:43 pm

Great Post Doug.
My company car is a MY19 Firenze Red I-Pace HSE with Black Trim, HUD, Cold Weather Pack and Fog Lights.
Watch my i-Pace adventures on the iPaceOwner YouTube channel https://YouTube.com/iPaceOwner

Post by ****** » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:35 am

Dtrawford wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:51 pm
My Open EVSE charger at home does do timed charging but so far even though I have set it up on cheaper electricity timings it has failed to begin charging.
That may be because I didn’t set the slider inside the car to on to activate from the charger when it turned the power on.
If you have an iPhone, I do have a solution for this which is a bit less cumbersome, but it’s still not as slick as if JLR just let us set a start time!

Dtrawford

Post by Dtrawford » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:31 am

Goshdarnit wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:35 am
Dtrawford wrote:
If you have an iPhone, I do have a solution for this which is a bit less cumbersome, but it’s still not as slick as if JLR just let us set a start time!
I would be interested to hear what that is as I do have an iPhone
Farallon black HSE, 20” wheels , oyster interior

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:07 am

Doug, I think your post should be sent to JLR, give them something to work with :)
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 Black, full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc
InControlTouch Pro: S20A_20.16.5-536345 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 - H228, H264, H270

Post by ***** » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:15 am

Doug needs to take over responsibilities for authoring of the I-Pace user manual.

Post by ****** » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:12 pm

Dtrawford wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:31 am
Goshdarnit wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:35 am
Dtrawford wrote:
I would be interested to hear what that is as I do have an iPhone
OK, it's a bit convoluted to set up, but once it's set up it's a simple button tap (or Siri voice command). Basically, I've created a Siri shortcut to force the car to start charging. You then need to download another Siri Shortcut called "Cronios". That is a MASSIVE shortcut which runs continuously in the background and runs other shortcuts at set times. I then set a reminder on my phone for 9pm to remind me to start Cronios running. You need to start Cronios every night at some point. Make sure you have "keep alive beep" enabled and also turn your Siri volume down, as it used a regular beep noise to make sure iOS doesn't close the shortcut. Sounds complex, but I have mine set up so that it runs the "Force Charge" shortcut at 00:30 as that's when my cheap rate starts. Basically then, at some point before going to bed, you can tell it to run Cronios with a single tap of the screen or a voice command. As long as your Siri volume is down, you can just leave it to do its thing and at the set time, your charger starts up and the car looks for it. I actually set mine so the charger comes on a minute before Cronios runs, just to be safe. I would also advise using the Cronios Daemon (a second shortcut) as that apparently makes sure Cronios keeps running better in the background. That shortcut can be downloaded from the menu that pops up when you start Cronios running.

Another option is to create a Siri shortcut called "It's Bed Time" or whatever, and set that shortcut to do numerous things such as turn out your Hue lights, turn the heating off, set your alarm for the morning and run Cronios (or Cronios Daemon).

As I say, it's quite convoluted, but once set up, it's quite easy to use and the one off complicated set up saves messing around with departure times etc every night. I would suggest you don't let it start too early just in case of crashes. I set my reminder for 9pm as I know I'll be awake then, and it runs perfectly (so far at least) for 3 and a half hours on my phone without interruption. It does cause a very slight battery drain but it seems pretty minimal on my phone.

Longwinded explanation, but you did ask!!

DougTheMac

Post by DougTheMac » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:45 pm

Goodness! That makes JLR’s set-up look easy!!!

As a MechEng, I prefer a nice simple electromechanical timeswitch. Not a line of code in sight... The only problem is mine is too miniaturised and too fiddly to adjust.
Electronics and SW enables us to do very complex things, but it always seems to make the simple things complicated. Turning on a light now seems to require more computing power than it took to land man on the moon.

That’s my off-topic Luddite old man’s rant for the night out of my system...
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster since 1Mar19
S20B1_20.30.2-578440 & anon (never upgraded at dealer)

anorak

Post by anorak » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:11 pm

Thanks for the instructional write-up Doug. It's good to know it is actually possible. :)

Think I'll stick to just plugging in late at night for now though!
I Pace EV400 S, Caesium blue, Oyster leather, 18" wheels
MY19, delivered 01/2019
IMC: S20C_20.16.5-536345 || Telematics: 17.2
Now on its 2nd front EPIC