Am I misled?

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
bazzaqpc

Am I misled?

Post by bazzaqpc » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:10 pm

I have just travelled along the M42, the cruse was set to 70 (ish), all was good, after a short distance the overhead gantry displayed 50 MPH, the I Pace saw this and warned me I was going faster than the speed limit, but it didn’t reduce my speed to 50, I thought the system on the Jag was similar to the one on the Merc E class, which automatically changes the speed as the motorway variable speed signs dictate.
I checked the I Pace user guide and sadly there is no mention of this functionality, so I guess its me expecting to much.
I Pace HSE Indus Silver MY20, 20" Wheels,Red Leather,AdSR, Active Air, Adaptive Dynamics, HUD,Cabin Air Ionisation & other bits and bobs, based in the Midlands B77, UK.

Goshdarnit

Re: Am I misled?

Post by Goshdarnit » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:16 pm

Unfortunately the Jag system doesn’t work like that. Would be awesome if it did, and it has all the technology to do it, but ACC doesn’t alter its setting according to changing speed limits. The adaptive speed limiter does, but not ACC.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.07.2-312706 Telematics: 14.2

Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

bazzaqpc

Post by bazzaqpc » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:36 pm

What a shame, on many occasions I have travelled to and from Manchester along the M6 in the Merc and haven’t touched the accelerator or brakes from joining or leaving the motorway on the A5 or Junction 23 / A580 obviously dependant direction of travel.
I`ll just add it to things the dealer mislead me about, along with the ability to play MP4 video`s when stationary.
I Pace HSE Indus Silver MY20, 20" Wheels,Red Leather,AdSR, Active Air, Adaptive Dynamics, HUD,Cabin Air Ionisation & other bits and bobs, based in the Midlands B77, UK.

Chimpils

Post by Chimpils » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:44 pm

Pretty sure you can play MP4 when stationary, you must have the correct FAT32 format on your USB, check general tips

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:28 pm

Goshdarnit wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:16 pm
Unfortunately the Jag system doesn’t work like that. Would be awesome if it did, and it has all the technology to do it, but ACC doesn’t alter its setting according to changing speed limits. The adaptive speed limiter does, but not ACC.
If working properly YES however so far my I-pace has made MANY mistakes with picking up speed signs. For example 130km/h being read as 30km/h - imagine that on the highway if the car automatically out of the blue smashes the brakes.
I-pace S + HUD, Drive Pack, Light Oyster Sport Seats, Elec Tailgate, DAB+ & heated windshield I Ceasium Blue & 18" wheels

bazzaqpc

Post by bazzaqpc » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:55 pm

Hi Chimpils, thank you for your info regarding MP4 video files.
So far I have purchased “Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate” and “DivX Pro”.
I have tried every conversion process imaginable all using a USB memory stick of 16 or 32 Gb and all formatted FAT32.
I have not managed to get any of them to work in the I Pace, but all work fine in the Audi E Tron and AMG Mercedes E63s Premium.
If I am missing the wood for the trees and someone can tell me what I am doing wrong I would be so grateful.
All of my music files work 100% no issue.

McRat

Post by McRat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Like all other driving assistants, Trust but Verify is the order of the day. We have variable speed limit signs. Different night and day speeds, different towing/not towing, different school zone limits - kids present/kids not present, bus flashing lights, emergency equipment, and of course, radar and no radar yields a different traffic flow speed.

BUT - We are actually controlled by the Basic Speed Law. Never drive faster than it is safe. If an automatic car function allows you to accelerate from 50 to 65 mph, but the safe speed is 55 mph, like fog or rain or driving into the sun, having the car kick the speed up to an unsafe speed is a legal liability. If MB does it wonderful. but I'd never turn it on. I'm a better judge of what is an appropriate speed than the software. Just put the speed limit on the HUD, and I will drive at the speed I feel is safe.
2019 I-Pace FE
2019 & 2017 Chevrolet Volts
24.2 kW self-installed 480v 3-ph solar array

bazzaqpc

Post by bazzaqpc » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:47 pm

Hi McRat, I 100% agree with your sentiment, as the driver of the vehicle it is my responsibility to drive safely, but that doesn’t change my view that any safety feature that can be added to the vehicle that helps to make the car safer should work as a driver aid and not be expected to drive the car without my monitoring its performance.
FYI (and if this is not tempting fate I don’t know what is), over the years I have owned some of the fastest cars money can buy, in my driving carrier, I have driven in excess of 1.83 million miles, I have never had an accident or been prosecuted for a moving driving offence.
From this record, it is obvious I don’t need help to drive safely, the sentiment I was making is that when a feature is offered and it doesn’t work or exist it reflects badly on JLR dealer network, I was assured the First Edition come standard with all the safety features that I outlined to the dealer before ordering the car and it doesn't.

scm

Post by scm » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:30 pm

I guess it's the difference between the target markets - people who buy Mercs (and BWMs) generally don't like cars, they just want the perceived status, whereas people who buy Jags like driving and have a clue about how to drive.

samsoir

Post by samsoir » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:18 pm

Jaguar do not claim the car does this. Nowhere in their documentation or promotional media do they claim the car does this. It sounds like the dealership did not even confirm this feature existed. So it appears that your expectations where just set apart from the reality.
I-Pace 2019 First Edition - Corris Grey

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”