Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

sand leaking into the car?

26K views 57 replies 32 participants last post by  Aurora Blue 
#1 ·
Anyone else noticed that the reardoors seem to leak dirt and sand into the car?
The curved plastic panel below the seat is full of sand.

See less See more
#2 ·
I gave my car it's first clean inside from new today and noticed this on the drivers side rear RHD model. Really weird, as shown in the photo the plastic panel had lots of fine dust on it whereas the passenger side had none? Judging by the responses to the original topic we are alone on this one.

#5 ·
I'm guessing it's the seals too but I'm so happy with the car that I don't want to deal with thos yet. I had issues with the infotainment and saggy seats. The infotainment is looking good to date after software upgrades and I'm waiting on the seats. After that I may deal with the leaky doors but at the moment I can live with the problem.

#6 ·
holderone said:
I'm guessing it's the seals too but I'm so happy with the car that I don't want to deal with thos yet. I had issues with the infotainment and saggy seats. The infotainment is looking good to date after software upgrades and I'm waiting on the seats. After that I may deal with the leaky doors but at the moment I can live with the problem.
Perhaps you should make your dealer aware of it?

Though as I type, the warranty is for 3 years :)

#9 ·
I doubt there is any problem with leaking seals on the doors.

More likely, when you enter the car your shoes bring in whatever dirt/dust is on them, plus your clothes too. You sit on the seat and "poof" the minor dust from your clothes goes in the air, and you rub your shoes on the pedals or foot well while driving, and "poof" that minor dust goes airborne too. The air circulates through the car, blowing from the vents, and eventually the dust settles and accumulates where the air doesn't move, like in the narrow space beside the rear seats that you show in your photos.

I put it down as normal (I have encountered this in many different cars), and it's easy to wipe when detailing the car.

#11 ·
Definitely same experience. Most disturbing is that it is really fine dust: the one that accumulates over time in nasty places, like just in the corner on the dashboard and the windscreen.

Although I do not know that much about "laminar flow", I suspect it has something to do with low (air) pressure at a seal that is not tight enough.
The fine dust is then sucked inside.

#14 ·
I have to drive on a lane to and from my house that is covered in clay dust. It collects on the panel everyone is discussing and also on the shoulder panels that the rear doors close over. I think the dust is coming around the edge of the doors at handle height and finding its way past the door seals. I've been considering adding a sealing strip to the rear edge of the doors to try and stop it. The seals along the lower edges of all the doors and the sills also get very dirty. Perhaps in striving for lightness Jaguar removed a little too much metal.

#17 ·
Yes, it the same with my car. I get lots of fine sand/dust collecting at the rear doors.

#19 ·
Captain.Plummet said:
Apparently it is a known issue and there is a fix. Dealers will shortly be able to resolve it.
I am getting this problem too. Can I ask what the basis is for saying that there is a fix please? My car is going in for the regen brake recall next week and if there is a fix for the dust/dirt issue I would like that seen to at the same time.

#21 ·
I have the same issue. My car is currently at dealer. Dealer says it doesn't exist any fix.

#24 ·
I have the same problem and it's definitely not being brought in on the feet as I've never had anyone sit in the back seats and yet every time I wash the car dust is layered inside. Like most people I'm dealing with so many other teething problems that I feel bad bringing it up 😂😂

#25 ·
holderone said:
I have the same problem and it's definitely not being brought in on the feet as I've never had anyone sit in the back seats and yet every time I wash the car dust is layered inside. Like most people I'm dealing with so many other teething problems that I feel bad bringing it up 😂😂
I've experienced only one other issue with my car, the intermittent bonnet catch sensor. Apart from that it has been faultless. I think that's pretty good for a completely new technology vehicle. Software seems to be much more of a thing in electric vehicles, even in areas that have nothing to do with driving. We think of it as we do a computer or smart phone, a world in which upgrades are a way of engaging and satisfying customers as much as they are about improvement. We now expect a continuous upgrade path throughout the life of the car, but that is expensive for manufacturers. Given the low service revenue from an EV I imagine that we will see annual software subscriptions before too long.

#26 ·
A couple of weeks after delivery I discovered that my car suffers from sand leaking into the car at the backdoors. Contacted my dealer who told me it was a known issue and a fix was coming. Today, dealer informed me that they now have the parts to fix it! Booked for service in a couple of weeks and will report back after.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.