450miles in 12hours

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
Baikar

450miles in 12hours

Post by Baikar » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:14 am

Over the weekend I completed a one way trip. It was very much a chance for me to get to know the car. I would say the overall experience was excellent only let down by the unreliable chargers found along my way. See below.

My drive began with a full preconditioned charge and resetting of the GOM which gave a standard 283 mile range. The car and I very quickly learnt that wasn’t going to be accurate. After completing 30 miles at my first stop I had 220 miles of range left. A quick top up back to 100% and off to catch the ferry. The range continued to let’s say adjust until a full charge was accurately giving about 200 miles. Weather conditions ranged from 1c and dry roads to 5 and rain. Average consumption was just over 40, average speed 47mph. I used cruise as much as possible set between 55mph and 60mph, climate was set to A/C and 19c.

After leaving the ferry in Scotland I used an Instavolt which was excellent. Then came Ecotricity! This company needs to sort themselves and their stations. First one I try at the services wouldn’t connect then shut itself down leaving me with a nervous 40 mile drive to the next one hoping it would be better. Next one gave me a maximum 45 mins use which was useless in my state. I can understand they don’t want people charging for hours but this was 6 am on a Sunday morning and the place was empty. So after my 45mins was up I tried to reconnect only for the connector not to suddenly recognise my car?! Off I go again and this time it’s a Polar. Worked fine, good speed but £6 for 30mins when it’s producing less than 50 can be expensive. I had no choice and stayed the maximum 90mins. Next stop another ecotricity pump. Looked to be on free vend and I thought my luck was in. Connected to the car for all of 1 second then it cuts out. Tried a few times before calling ecotricity for help. Nice lady tells me to try a different pump (a choice of 2) before “moving on”?!? I’m sorry I didn’t realise I was blocking your pumps so others could stand in the pouring rain in 2degrees whilst trying to charge! Pardon me. The gentleman next to me on pump 1 was also having the same trouble with his leaf. So off I go again in search of a good charge. I started my journey on the mainland using an Instavolt and I finished it on Instavolt. The journey would have been excellent other than the unknown that comes with charging away from home. I used Zap Map which was a great help but even that can’t predict what will or won’t be working when you arrive and need to charge. I know we are all waiting for the option to charge at 100kw but the Uk is simple not set up for this yet. Until they themselves upgrade we will continue to charge at a maximum of 50 and have a time limit imposed on us.

Best bits for me on this particular drive were

The Steering assist feature which is great for motorways

Not so good were

The seat comfort. The seat base seems very hard
The charging infrastructure
Adaptive cruise control gets over excited when the car in front changes.
Last edited by Baikar on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

SammyD

Re: 450miles in 12hours

Post by SammyD » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:39 am

Thanks for the post. It sounds like you had quite an adventure.

I've already decided that the first thing I do when (...????) I get my car I'll try out the two Ecotricty 50kw chargers nearest me (M25 Cobham and M3 Fleet) just to make sure my car can work with them.

begin rant
Ecotricity really does need to get its act together.
What their MS Dale Vince said to the audience at Fully Charged 2018 was very telling.
He said that he'd had a team out making sure that all of his company's chargers within 50 miles of Silverstone were fully operational for the event.
Their designs do seem to be pretty unreliable IMHO. Thankfully, there are several alternatives on my normal pattern. Some good and some awful (high cost per kW and parking fees on top...) but for longer journeys I'm more or less at their mercy. I'll be travelling to Tyesley (Birmingham) a lot in the coming years so the M40 and M42 chargers will be needed most of the time. The last thing I want to do is run out of juice.
Rant over.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D

timbray

Post by timbray » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:31 am

Baikar wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:14 am

Not so good were

The seat comfort. The seat base seems very hard

Adaptive cruise control gets over excited when the car in front changes.
Agreed on the cruise control, it just needs to do all the things that does, but at a third the speed.

But the seats… I got the Windsor leather Sports seats , which gets you all the adjustments and they’re by a wide margin the most comfortable auto seats I’ve ever owned. What kind of seats do you have?
S, Caesium Blue, 20" Gloss Black, red Windsor leather, see https://www.tbray.org/ongoing/What/The% ... r%20Diary/

Baikar

Post by Baikar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:46 am

I have the sports seats too but the base is not comfortable. I find it really hard. All the other adjustments are excellent though.

groennom

Post by groennom » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 am

Baikar wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:46 am
I have the sports seats too but the base is not comfortable. I find it really hard. All the other adjustments are excellent though.
It is personal I guess, for me the best seats I ever had (even better then the Comfort seats in my BMW 5 series from 7 years ago).
I Pace | HSE | Corris Grey | Panoramic Roof | Air Suepension | HUD | DAB+ |Cold Climate Pack | Delivered Jan 18th

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”