Charging in UK/Scotland on 50kw

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
mikew

Re: Charging in UK/Scotland on 50kw

Post by mikew » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:54 pm

electricdriver wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:23 pm
Disappointing ... thought I’d been super organised in buying a Charge Place Scotland card for my long trip next week.

Does anyone know ... if the status on the CPS website says “unknown” (and most of the CCS points do), does that mean that the point is definitely unavailable or is it still worth trying?

Appreciate any feedback! Thanks all.
As I understand it the technology used in the CPS CCS implementation can't retrieve the status of the charger remotely. Hence it is "unknown".

Have you ever seen one that reports otherwise? I'd love to be proved wrong since I will need to use them in the spring, though hopefully only as a backup in the event of any range issues.
SE Yulong white, black pack, 22" split-spoke, pano roof, Ebony heated seats, Ebony headlining, gloss black, cold climate, front fogs, air suspension and 360˚cam. Delivered 29/10/2018.
IMC: S19A_19.07.2-312706 Telematics: 15.2

electricdriver

Post by electricdriver » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:26 pm

Thanks for updates - as attached, yes I’ve seen both status signals on the CPS website. The rapid chargers are marked “R”, the three circles show AC, Chademo and CCS top to bottom. Bottom circle is CCS, if solid then the charger is available, if open circle then unknown status.

06DAB463-2836-4EFC-A49E-E4DA3A05B6CB.png

DougTheMac

Post by DougTheMac » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:14 pm

What a lot of CCS chargers you have in Scotland! Compared with The East of England region, comparable population (6M), about 1/4 the area, you seem to have far more, just from superficial study of Zap-Map. I’m jealous. I have only 4 within 30 miles, none in useful places. There are none between Bury St Edmunds and Norwich (45M) ditto Ipswich/Norwich (also c45M), both major routes.

But it doesn’t help much if they don’t work, though! Hopefully it will all be better one day...
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster since 1Mar19
S18D_18.47.5-269316 & 14.2

Bluealeurone

Post by Bluealeurone » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:18 pm

Good point: CPS can be in the main free. Zapmap better option but still not great. For Scotland have a plan B & C. I have found older style Evolt chargers better - push button start/stop ones. Come across two Siemens 50kw chargers up here and they worked fine. Allow time as I have yet to see 50kw off a charger - usually mid 30's in an hour. Use the Remote App when charging as it is good to see if a Leaf driver rocks up and tries to stop your session! It is not all bad but be prepared and have a plan.

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:57 pm

DougTheMac wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:14 pm
What a lot of CCS chargers you have in Scotland! Compared with The East of England region, comparable population (6M), about 1/4 the area, you seem to have far more, just from superficial study of Zap-Map. I’m jealous. I have only 4 within 30 miles, none in useful places. There are none between Bury St Edmunds and Norwich (45M) ditto Ipswich/Norwich (also c45M), both major routes.

But it doesn’t help much if they don’t work, though! Hopefully it will all be better one day...
You are getting a Tesla Supercharger in Ipswich this year (sic) but yes, East Anglia is a virtual desert for high speed charging. But... there are three 50kW chargers in Norwich now one of which is free to used (Lidl). No Superchargers in Norfolk either.
I travel up to Norwich 3-4 times a year so I've been keeping an eye on things.
I have used the Charger at RSPB Minsmere a couple of times. Not a DC one but great for a top up while watching a few birds.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D

mikew

Post by mikew » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:19 pm

electricdriver wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:26 pm
Thanks for updates - as attached, yes I’ve seen both status signals on the CPS website. The rapid chargers are marked “R”, the three circles show AC, Chademo and CCS top to bottom. Bottom circle is CCS, if solid then the charger is available, if open circle then unknown status.
Thanks for that... I will come clean and admit I've been using the Charge Your Car map to check status. Its uses the same signalling system as CPS, but CCS status is always "unknown" as far as I can tell. So I've just taken a look on CPS and can see that you are correct... some CCS points do show up as available, though many are still unknown. I wonder what determines that... the make or model of the charger?

One location I'm especially interested in using is unknown on CYC, but available on CPS... which I'm very pleased to see. It is one that isn't free of charge.
SE Yulong white, black pack, 22" split-spoke, pano roof, Ebony heated seats, Ebony headlining, gloss black, cold climate, front fogs, air suspension and 360˚cam. Delivered 29/10/2018.

mikew

Post by mikew » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:24 pm

DougTheMac wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:14 pm
What a lot of CCS chargers you have in Scotland! Compared with The East of England region, comparable population (6M), about 1/4 the area, you seem to have far more, just from superficial study of Zap-Map. I’m jealous.
I believe Charge Place Scotland was a Scottish Government initiative to place rapid chargers along all the main tourist routes in Scotland. There are plenty of them, but unfortunately generally just one point in each location.

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:54 pm

mikew wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:24 pm
I believe Charge Place Scotland was a Scottish Government initiative to place rapid chargers along all the main tourist routes in Scotland. There are plenty of them, but unfortunately generally just one point in each location.
You are right about CPS being a Scottish Government thing. IMHO, the installer did the minimum to get paid for the network and then did a runner.
Yes there are CP's all around the N. W Coast but according to one biker who did the North Coast 500 on an Electric Motorcycle (a Zero) half of the Level 2 chargers were out of action.
I wonder if the state of the chargers has been raised in the Holyrood Parliament? If it has not, it should be. This year may well be the year when the brown stuff hits the fan. All it needs is some well known person to literally run out of juice north of Ullapool and it will be all over social media in minutes.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D

mikew

Post by mikew » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:10 pm

SammyD wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:54 pm
mikew wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:24 pm
You are right about CPS being a Scottish Government thing. IMHO, the installer did the minimum to get paid for the network and then did a runner.
Yes there are CP's all around the N. W Coast but according to one biker who did the North Coast 500 on an Electric Motorcycle (a Zero) half of the Level 2 chargers were out of action.
I wonder if the state of the chargers has been raised in the Holyrood Parliament? If it has not, it should be. This year may well be the year when the brown stuff hits the fan. All it needs is some well known person to literally run out of juice north of Ullapool and it will be all over social media in minutes.
So I shouldn't plan on doing the NC 500 in my I-Pace this summer? :(

Jagmanmick

Post by Jagmanmick » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:44 pm

mikew wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:10 pm

So I shouldn't plan on doing the NC 500 in my I-Pace this summer? :(
Hopefully I will have my I-pace in march/april and will be using some of the far North chargers on the NC 500 north coast as I live there. :D
If they are working :lol:
I-pace SE ordered in Firenze Red. Due Mid April

Return to “Main Jaguar I-Pace chat”