Terrible Battery Mileage

All Jaguar I-Pace related discussions
BeauBlue

Terrible Battery Mileage

Post by BeauBlue » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:41 pm

Please can someone help?
I have purchased my new Jaguar I Pace today from Jaguar Leeds. The battery had 98% charge. I live 145 miles away and at 93 miles it had 6 miles left!! The cruise control was set at the low 70s, the air con, radio and sat nav were on. It took 4 hours to get home due to the lack of fast charges in the A42 leading to the M42. I could not leave the car to charge as in a 7kw Charger, it kept stopping charges and flashing up ‘Initialising!’ This happened several times. I eventually made it home and plugged it into my 13amp electrics until my 7kw home charger arrives 11th August. It has cut out 4x in 3 hours and I have had to reset the extension lead cut out switch once do far. The previous 3x it too has flashed up ‘initialising’ and not charging!! I drive to France on Monday and am going to a 50kw charger tomorrow to fully charge. Is all the above normal or do I have a faulty battery system? 93 miles out of a 98% charge is frightening. Please help!

Crazymind

Re: Terrible Battery Mileage

Post by Crazymind » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:08 pm

I wouldn’t go to France on Monday unless you have got 2 months of holiday.

Captain.Plummet

Post by Captain.Plummet » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:09 pm

Charge to 100% on a 5kW charger. Then switch the car on without pressing the brake pedal. One the car has initialised press the brake and throttle together and hold them down until the GoM shows 260 miles. Release the pedals then start the car normally.

MikeSL1

Post by MikeSL1 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:23 pm

Hi, welcome to I-Pace world

It could be that the previous driver drove like a racing driver which has an effect on range "Anticipation"

I drive my I=pace in between 70-77 on the motorway and I never get less than 200, so I am sure once you drive the car, the range will increase substantially

I have never been able to achieve more than 240 though it is clear from some of the other members they get considerably more, but this car is to be driven and you will love it

Fluff

Post by Fluff » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:37 pm

You should at the beginning get 200 miles actual range, car may say 230, but you will lose some of that.

As you get used to it, you can get a bit more, at least if you need it, if not you can have a lot of fun at the lights....
I-Pace SE 2019[Everything BLACK] Santorini,Pano, 20' BLACK,winter pack, adap cruise.

RobN

Post by RobN » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:26 pm

Hi BeauBlue,

Welcome to the forum & I-Pace ownership. I’ve just returned from a week long holiday I Dorset with a 135 mile/4 hour (lot of traffic!) journey home which took my 100% charge down to 43% so your initial experience is definitely an unlucky bad start. Captain Plummet is right, follow his instructions to reset the range estimate (aka GOM = Guess-O-meter). Depending on how the car has been recently driven will influence the GOM significantly until you’ve registered a good few miles with your personal style of driving.

It’s a really fun drive and most of the time I push the car hard and enjoy real Jaguar performance, then on long journeys drive a bit more sedately to conserve power. With this behaviour my GOM varies a bit but I still get circa 235 miles range when starting from full charge. However, I did perform a reset (as per Capt. Plummet) when I got the car (from new in Feb.)

Best, Rob
SE MY20 Corris Grey, 20” wheels, oyster leather 10 way seats, panoramic roof, black trim + privacy glass + 7kWh Podpoint & ICE XK8 Conv 1996 (Jag owner/enthusiast since 1994 :D )

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:29 pm

MikeSL1 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:23 pm
It could be that the previous driver drove like a racing driver which has an effect on range "Anticipation"
That indeed would impact predicted range but should have no effect on actual range - his actual range is REALLY bad for no good reason.
I-pace S + HUD + Drive Pack + Light Oyster Sport Seats + Tailgate I Ceasium Blue | 18" wheels
Infotainment 20B + Telematics 18.2 | ODO 56.718km | 2020 Efficiency 203watt/km

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:42 pm

BeauBlue wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:41 pm
Please can someone help?
I have purchased my new Jaguar I Pace today from Jaguar Leeds. The battery had 98% charge. I live 145 miles away and at 93 miles it had 6 miles left!! The cruise control was set at the low 70s, the air con, radio and sat nav were on. It took 4 hours to get home due to the lack of fast charges in the A42 leading to the M42. I could not leave the car to charge as in a 7kw Charger, it kept stopping charges and flashing up ‘Initialising!’ This happened several times. I eventually made it home and plugged it into my 13amp electrics until my 7kw home charger arrives 11th August. It has cut out 4x in 3 hours and I have had to reset the extension lead cut out switch once do far. The previous 3x it too has flashed up ‘initialising’ and not charging!! I drive to France on Monday and am going to a 50kw charger tomorrow to fully charge. Is all the above normal or do I have a faulty battery system? 93 miles out of a 98% charge is frightening. Please help!
Welcome to the I-pace forum and so sorry to hear of your troubles - it looks like something is really not right with your I-pace.
Based on your described driving your actual range should be MUCH higher with a 98% charge you should get 200 miles with 70mph on the highway.

FYI - I drove today 821km (510 miles) from NL to Austrian border (the entire Autobahn A3) with 2 adults, 2 kids and fully loaded car - my average consumption was 232wh/km (373wh/mile), when adjusted for extra distance it is 227wh/km (365wh/mile) this at an average speed of 113.2km/h (70.4mph) driving 130km/h (80.8mph) on ACC - slower at the many road constructions and traffic jam near Koln.
I have 18", weather was mostly dry (few short rain showers) and temperatures ranging from 21 to 36 degrees - climate control on 19 degrees with fan speed at 3 and 50% of time Air Conditioning was on.
I-pace S + HUD + Drive Pack + Light Oyster Sport Seats + Tailgate I Ceasium Blue | 18" wheels
Infotainment 20B + Telematics 18.2 | ODO 56.718km | 2020 Efficiency 203watt/km

Quakered

Post by Quakered » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:56 am

Just one point is that you should not charge the I Pace with an extension cable as these are not designed to take the load hence it kept tripping. Better tripping than bursting into flames! OK for a few minutes on the lawnmower or power wash but not a constant 3+ KWs.
SE Firenze Red, Oyster leather, glass roof, HUD, Air Suspension, delivered 6/19

shadwellal

Post by shadwellal » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:18 am

I would contact Jaguar Leeds as a matter of urgency. I've had my car for 15 months and 15000 miles and even in the depths of winter I get over 180 miles range. At this time of year I'm getting 230 miles so there does seem to be something wrong with your car. Hope you get it sorted quickly. Please let us know how you get on.
I-pace SE, Caesium Blue. MY 2020 :D