Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

New to Jaguar and electric power

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  AndyP 
#1 ·
Hi, I've never had an electric car or any Jaguar but having read lots of reviews and watched loads of videos I've gone and done it. I have ordered a used 18MY SE with panoramic roof that is due to arrive a week tomorrow (22nd Feb). It's a huge step up for me pricewise so I hope I'm not disappointed. Prepare for lots of stupid questions!
Until I get round to ordering a home charger I'll be relying on a domestic 13A socket and occasional public chargers near my home. I'm retired so only do about 8000 miles a year and an early start means anything before lunch! I intend switching my elec supplier to Octopus Go (unless anyone can suggest a better supplier) and my first question is can I simply use a cheap electronic timer on a socket in my garage to start and finish the charge using the cheap rate time?
Any comments much appreciated.

#2 ·
Hi AndyP welcome. I love my Ipace...... although it is in the garage at the moment with a heater problem. Had good service while car is in the Jag Hospital.
I have the Octopus Go tariff married to a Podpoint and it works well for me. I also have a timed circuit switch so only comes on during my 5p rate time. Some like the Agile tariff with Octopus.

#3 ·
Love my Ohme charger for picking the cheapest times to use Octopus Go with no thought needed from me! I switched from Agile at the start of the month as costs had gone up, and Go has worked just fine. We have a second EV coming this week, so will be interesting to see how the charger copes with another car.

#4 ·
Hi AndyP,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum.

Like you I'd never owned a Jag before, and this was also our first EV.

You will find a wealth of information on this forum, and you will also get a lot of well meant and friendly advice.

For us, stepping up from a VW Tiguan, there were a lot of extra features in the car and that coupled with the EV charging meant that it was quite a steep learning curve.

The infotainment system can sometimes be a mystery to itself, but you will soon get the hang of the basic functions.

I found that the thing to do was to take your time getting to grips with all the features that might be new to you.

The I-Pace is a terrific car to drive, and it might take you a day or two to find out just how quick it is.

Its a heavy car (almost two tons i think) but its incredibly nimble and wonderfully balanced. Obviously hurltlng into bends might cause an issue, but powering out of them when it is safe to do so is wonderful.

We've had our I-Pace now for nearly 18 months, and every time I get in it I really love it.

Hope you enjoy yours too.

Kind regards,
Nigel

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies, good to hear from people with I-Pace experience.

I really like the look of the Podpoint charger, much neater than the Ohme, but it seems the Ohme is more suitable for Octopus Go. I don't have to decide which charger to go for immediately anyway. I'll probably start the switch to Octopus tomorrow and will use Al's code as he replied first.

My existing car is a Seat Ateca (same as the VW Tiguan) so my experience will be much the same as yours Nigel. The Ateca is the top spec one so it has quite a lot of what the I-Pace has but not the electric stuff of course.

Thanks to you all for your help :)

#6 ·
Elbocko: Many thanks for the Private Message, unfortunately I don't seem to be able to reply directly, possibly because I am a very new member. Anyway, I am in Cowplain so not far at all from you. I've only ever seen an I-Pace twice in this area, both black so probably the same car twice. Mine is due to arrive a week today, I can't wait!
Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.