I-Pace on its way!

New to the Jaguar I-Pace Forums? Introduce yourself here
Redman

I-Pace on its way!

Post by Redman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:19 am

Hi all, new poster (and soon to be owner) here as I’m expecting to collect my car next week. Wall unit is up and ready to charge and I wait with a mixture of excitement and trepidation at what the future holds for me. I have no doubt that I will love the driving experience as I fully intended to buy the F-Pace until I test-drove the I-Pace and then there was no going back. Hopefully my “glitches” will be minor or insignificant and I’ll be able to regale you all with my tales of driving joy!

My biggest anxiety is an upcoming trip to family in Edinburgh (via an overnight in Penrith) from my base near Milton Keynes just 2 weeks after taking ownership. The horror-stories of Ecotricity fill me with dread and I’m seriously debating the pros and cons of risking taking the Jag and potentially spending hours searching for fast chargers en route, or sticking with the trusted XC90 and having some tranquility in my life.

Any advice from anyone who’s done similar would be much appreciated but in the meantime, good to be here and I’ll post again when I actually have the car.
HSE Santorini Black. 8th July 2019.

Goshdarnit

Re: I-Pace on its way!

Post by Goshdarnit » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:13 am

Redman wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:19 am
Hi all, new poster (and soon to be owner) here as I’m expecting to collect my car next week. Wall unit is up and ready to charge and I wait with a mixture of excitement and trepidation at what the future holds for me. I have no doubt that I will love the driving experience as I fully intended to buy the F-Pace until I test-drove the I-Pace and then there was no going back. Hopefully my “glitches” will be minor or insignificant and I’ll be able to regale you all with my tales of driving joy!

My biggest anxiety is an upcoming trip to family in Edinburgh (via an overnight in Penrith) from my base near Milton Keynes just 2 weeks after taking ownership. The horror-stories of Ecotricity fill me with dread and I’m seriously debating the pros and cons of risking taking the Jag and potentially spending hours searching for fast chargers en route, or sticking with the trusted XC90 and having some tranquility in my life.

Any advice from anyone who’s done similar would be much appreciated but in the meantime, good to be here and I’ll post again when I actually have the car.
You should be fine. Just avoid Ecotricity and the old style ChargePlace Scotland chargers. There are other options as long as you’re not planning to explore the countryside when you get to Edinburgh. There are quite a lot of InstaVolt and Polar chargers not far from the motorways which will work flawlessly. Scotland will be more challenging but as long as you stick to the populated area close to Edinburgh there are enough InstaVolt and Polar etc. You can go to Zap Map and filter out Ecotricity and ChargePlace Scotland.

Having said that, the new ChargePlace Scotland eVolt chargers seem fine and also the Siemens ones (which aren’t very common) apparently work well. Well that’s the feedback I’ve had via my YouTube channel.

You can see what charger type is at a CPS site by looking at the photos in PlugShare.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.24.2-375121 Telematics: 14.2
Last update: 26/08/19

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

Redman

Post by Redman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:07 pm

That’s reassuring to hear and I appreciate the feedback. A big family gathering and I turn up in a 12-year old diesel Volvo rather than my shiny new I-Pace - I think not!!

TeslaDriver

Post by TeslaDriver » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:36 pm

Redman wrote:
(via an overnight in Penrith)
Any chance of charging at your Penrith stop using 13 AMP and Granny cable? Not sure of the charge-speed of 13 AMP on iPace but I would guess around 5-6 MPH so replenishing the juice needed for Penrith to Edinburgh would be about 18 hours on 13 AMP

If it is a hotel at Penrith with destination charger then even better :)

ChrisMc

Post by ChrisMc » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:04 pm

Redman wrote:

Redman

you could do a stop at Holiday Inn Walton Summit Preston South on your way past on the M6, they have a Polar 50Kw charger there and a Polar 43Kw also, its about 170 miles or 3 hours from MK, so easily doable, have a meal/coffee or whatever at the Holiday Inn and on your way again, about 75 miles or just over an hour up to Penrith.

I have not used the above charger, but people on here have with no problems that I am aware of.

Put your trip into a Better Route Planner and see how it works out.

PS there is also a 50Kw Polar charger at the Holiday Inn, Haydock, about 150 miles from MK.
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 in Black with full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc etc
InControlTouch Pro: S18D Updated 31.07.2019 Uodated again 20.09.19 to S19B Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 ??? - H228

Redman

Post by Redman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:44 pm

Thanks everyone for the very useful suggestions. Penrith is a stop at the parents so could conceivably get 12-14 hours on Granny cable. Key thing I need to get my head around is the planning of this sort of (albeit rare) trip and the embracing of the reality of stops en route. I’m actually quite looking forward to having to take it a bit easier rather than always being hell bent on simply getting there as quickly as possible.
Quick question on the Polar chargers. Do I need any sort of account or card or can I just rock up to the ones mentioned?

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:57 am

Some older polars don’t accept contactless payment cards. The newer ones do. If you look on PlugShare it Zap Map it should tell you. But all you need is the Polar Instant app (be aware there are two apps: Polar and Polar Instant). Set up an account and you can charge at any Polar using the app. You may not need it though if your chosen chargers are the newer style with contactless payment capability. Then you just tap your debit card and charge up.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.24.2-375121 Telematics: 14.2
Last update: 26/08/19

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

hereu

Post by hereu » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:52 am

You do not need a card for the Polar charger at South Preston. It £1.20 for up to a 90-minute charge and works great with the I-Pace. The Ecotricity at the rheged centre at Penrith is one of the few that work with the I-Pace (I used a CYC card). It's a bit slower and more expensive but could plug a gap.
Blue, cream, pana, gesture etc 20" HSE

TeslaDriver

Post by TeslaDriver » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:51 am

Redman wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:44 pm
Quick question on the Polar chargers. Do I need any sort of account or card or can I just rock up to the ones mentioned?
I would advise download / install APPs for all brands of charger that you think you might need ... generally easier to do that in comfort of your own home / WiFi internet connection than when time-hassled sitting at the charger. Also, when you refresh/update your APPs then those will get included in your update-sweep.

They will mostly/all? :( want to try to encourage you to take out a monthly subscription ... but the Ecotricity one (to pick an example) has a "Guest Charge" link at the bottom of the APP Login Screen ... but without an account/login it is 5 minutes work to fill in all the Address, Email, Credit Card details ... none of which is retained ... so if your first charge-attempt / stall fails then you have to repeat the whole lot again for each subsequent attempt. If you are registered then that part, at least, is WAY less hassle.

Redman

Post by Redman » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:51 pm

Well it arrived on Monday and I have to say I absolutely love it! I almost don’t dare to say this as I’m sure it’s tempting fate, but so far no issues whatsoever, at least none that I’m aware of. A couple of small things that I guess I just don’t fully understand yet but if anyone can advise then I’d be grateful:
1. I’ve read that I can plan a route at home which then automatically transfers from my phone/iPad to the car. I’ve downloaded the Jaguar Route app and created an account (same details as InControl) but when I log in it says ‘no vehicle found’ and that I need to sign into my in car system. How the hell do I do that?
2. The dealer gave me a SIM card at time of purchase with 500mgb of data per month to use. Is this permanently on and if so, what should I turn off to conserve data but maintain the must haves which I presume are software updates and live traffic updates (any other obvious ones I’m missing?). I read something about this a while ago before getting the car but can’t locate it now.
3. My range readout seems stuck on 201 miles on full charge (it decreases as I drive but always starts from 201), despite the fact that I’ve only done around 120 miles and have been ‘experimenting’ with different driving styles to see the impact on range. This seems very low, especially as I haven’t been thrashing it (well not too much!). Is this normal, should I be worried? Fully charged at the dealership it was showing range 201 miles (fully charged) and 13 miles driven.

Anyway, these small questions aside, what a wonderful machine!

Return to “Introductions”