Thinking of buying an Approved Used FE - advice please

New to the Jaguar I-Pace Forums? Introduce yourself here
Badger

Thinking of buying an Approved Used FE - advice please

Post by Badger » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:30 am

Hi

Interested in thoughts of people with experience in advisability of getting a 2.5 year old iPACE FE with around 14K on clock around £50K
Battery SoH 96% - checked with service in past few days.
Balance of original warranty and extended to 2 years with approved-Used scheme.
Throw in a home charger
Seems reasonable

However, concerned that needed work on the HV battery at the end of last year after developed a fault. Battery drained and one of the cells replaced.
Then replaced the charge actuator (after flagged faults POD94-00 POD98-00) and had issues with charging shortly afterwards.

Has anyone had similar issues with the battery and if so have they been sorted, or issues with recurrent problems?
Does 96% SoH at this point seem reasonable?

Also more generally with the iPACE.
Love the car, love idea of moving to EV.
However, I do around 13,00 mile / year, with 60 mile round commute. And ideally would look at keeping any car I got for at least 2 years
So some anxiety...

Realise 1st Gen EV and no-one has real long-term experience on reliability of vehicle
Has anyone seen data on battery Max capacitance drop off over-time / repeat cycles for the iPACE? (have seen something online for Tesla but not Jag)?
What sort if drop off in capacitance are people with experience of high mileage seeing?
And are there any common problems with reliability as mileage goes up (with things other than the battery)?

Grateful for comments.
But note can't /won't stretch to a new iPACE unfortunately. Definitely need a lumbar support. Only have pass from wife to get an iPACE / spend £50K if it's red (which not my 1st choice but reasonable compromise).
Essentially it's this iPACE (or similar) or get another ICE car before the ULEZ comes in.

Thanks in anticipation.

TheBook

Re: Thinking of buying an Approved Used FE - advice please

Post by TheBook » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:11 pm

For what it's worth, I wouldn't hesitate on a well cared for 2nd hand FE so long as there is a good extended warranty in place. My theory would be the hardware is basically the same as late MY20's (although I could be wrong), the software updates should have fixed most gremlins.

I don't think there is another vehicle in that price range that can compare (I would have loved an FE but have to make do with an HSE - which isn't too bad I know).

With a home charger, a 60 mile commute is not an issue (personally I can't wait to do a long journey to test public infrastructure, yes that statement will probably come back to haunt me!).

So to summarise, if you like the car and have the protection of the warranty, why not? I would.
MY20 I-Pace HSE
Range Rover Evoque Autobiography

Fluff

Post by Fluff » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:10 pm

Hi there,

I bought a used SE, only had 1 problem with Air-con, probably from it sitting for 6 months or so before I bought it.

I do a regular commute 35x2, had no issues, and having a car part limo and part Ferrari does offer some compensation to the trip...

Fully charged showing 220miles, getting 200 if I focus, and hairshirt would I'm sure get me 220plus.

and also managed a few longer trips, 200 miles each way, just plan some locations for charging, and get some different accounts setup, and use them locally so you find the problems, and raise your own confidence.
I-Pace SE 2019[Everything BLACK] Santorini,Pano, 20' BLACK,winter pack, adap cruise.

shadwellal

Post by shadwellal » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:44 pm

After two years of a 50 mile commute and occasional much longer trips with my I-pace I wouldn't hesitate to buy another when the time comes to change. So far no noticeable deterioration in range or battery capacity.
I-pace SE, Caesium Blue. MY 2020 :D

Gtquan

Post by Gtquan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:31 am

Ask if wiring loom has been fixed. This is a problem in 2019 and some 2020 models. May be hard to unload after 2 yrs with technology improving so quickly.

wh05apk

Post by wh05apk » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:02 am

My se is 2.5 yrs old, a couple of niggles, but feels solid now, so wouldn't be too concerned about the warranty expiring soon.

On a full charge it shows 257, and I can get 250 if driven sensibly.

Apart from liking to change to something different, I would buy again.

DAC

Post by DAC » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:40 am

I've recently done exactly the same- purchased a 68 plate FE with only 750 miles on it. Car is great I'm still working my way through learning about all the options.

Unfortunately the Jaguar dealer experience has been woeful and spoilt the whole experience.

When I collected it I was told all software updates had been completed (I'd read that this has been an issue on the forums) - I drove if 40 miles and it had a "traction battery failure" , "tyre pressure warning" and "drive with caution"- Dealer pretty much ignored me, I complained to jaguar direct and it was sorted via another dealer but took 10 days (they did give me a courtesy car). Turns out software had never been updated. My guess is that the car has been sat in a warehouse somewhere for a long time given it only had 750 miles on the clock.

I've now done 700 miles in it in 2 weeks and it's great. My advice would be to do a proper check on all functionality before you hand over your cash!

I still have an issue in that it won't read my sim card and doesn't give me apple carplay option. Both of which worked in the courtesy car, so it's definitely the car not my sim or my phone. I've arranged to book it in again with my local dealer after lockdown. (I might put a note on this thread to see if anyone knows how to fix this). - I'm still within the 1 month guarantee period where I could get my money back if they don't sort it out - But to be honest, car is so good in all other respects I think I'd just keep it any way.

Still no apology from original dealer - and they still haven't collected the courtesy car - it's been sat on my drive for over 2 weeks!

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:22 pm

Thanks for feedback chaps. Got testdrive booked for next week. Will check wiring looms, and make sure see warranty worksheet showing software updated.
@DAC - which dealer should I be avoiding...?