Anderson installation nightmare

We are British manufacturers of EV charging points. We use industrial grade electronics to give our product an unrivalled aesthetics and reliability. Discover why we are worth driving home to.
Orchard

Anderson installation nightmare

Post by Orchard » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:54 pm

Just had my Anderson A2 22kw installed today by Smart Home Charge. The good news is that the unit looks really well engineered, looks great and has neat cable stowage.

The guys turned up without any 3ph cable or a decent drill to go through the wall, and yes I did send lots of photos and emails to Anderson’s and SHC.

So they beatled off to get those things, and then got things fitted neatly after they got back. To be fair they diligently fitted and neatly fixed things, apart from one side panel which was incorrect and would not fit at all.

Finally once powered up they couldn’t connect to any of the phones we had. Oh and the iPhone app doesn’t work and needs updating. I’ve been on to Anderson but no reply yet.

Nice unit, but without the apps working it’s a bit oversold. We’ll see what happens to resolve things, luckily my lovely I-Pace isn’t quite here or I’d be properly grumpy

bluenun

Re: Anderson installation nightmare

Post by bluenun » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:35 pm

Sounds like a bad day all round. Not sure what you mean about the iOS app being broken as it works fine for me?

I’m sure you know already, but the car will only charge at 7kw on a 22kw unit. It’ll be more future proof but not much benefit for now.

Orchard

Post by Orchard » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:42 pm

Sure, I’m future proofed with 22kw and I understand that there is an 11kw charging upgrade coming for ipace

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:50 pm

Orchard wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:42 pm
I understand that there is an 11kw charging upgrade coming for ipace
Well you know more than Jaguar are telling the dealers. You will also be aware that even if they do offer it in a future version of the I-Pace, it is not backwards compatible as it would need a major hardware upgrade to existing cars?

Maybe the XJ will get it, but I doubt it as by the time it is out the CCS Rapid Charger base will be very strong and the need for slower 22kW charging will not exist.

With overnight charging of a 80kWh battery, 7kW charging is fine - my opinion:-)
Last edited by Chewy on Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:21 pm

Chewy wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:50 pm

Well you know more than Jaguar are telling the dealers. You will also be aware that even if they do offer it in a future version of the I-Pace, it is not backwards compatible as it would need a major hardware upgrade to existing cars?

Maybe the XJ will get it, but I doubt it as by the time it is out the CCS Rapid Charger base will be very strong and the need for slower 22kW charging will not exist.

With overnight charging of a 80kWh battery, 7kW charging is fine my opinion:-)
Agree with all of this. 7 kw is plenty and I have never heard a rumour about faster AC charging coming to I-Pace. But as Chewy said, even if it did it would require new hardware in the car. This is not something that could be patched via a software update.

aquiss

Post by aquiss » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:42 pm

Orchard wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:42 pm
Sure, I’m future proofed with 22kw and I understand that there is an 11kw charging upgrade coming for ipace
The I-PACE is equipped with a 7kW single phase AC on-board charger, so as others have said, if Jaguar opt to increase this in the future, you will buying a new I-Pace that has hardware to support this.

You will also, if not done already, have to increase the power to your home meter from single phase to three phase, for anything beyond 7kW.

RJUK

Post by RJUK » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:38 pm

I had similar issues when I first got my Andersen charger - none of it worked properly.

Even now I'm still having issues with my unit and the Director (Jerome) just flat out ignores all of my emails.

Really poor customer service from Andersen - in my experience they just don't give two shits about their customers.

I ordered the "nearly black" unit on their website, which just happens to be the one shown on their main homepage, with the Porsche plugged-in to it.

I ordered this colour because my garage doors are a matte black colour the same as the unit looks on Andersen's website. In real life the unit is nowhere near as black as that, and is more of a blueish grey colour. They confirmed that my unit is definitely the right colour that I ordered and said they're unwilling to do anything about the fact that it looks nothing like the photos on their website. They won't even change the main homepage image, so they're still advertising a dark black unit which can't even be ordered - it doesn't exist.

Also my unit keeps disconnecting (despite being hardwired), it keeps flashing a red light on the front for some sort of power warning and randomly the interior light keeps coming on for no reason and staying on permanently until I switch the power off at the trip switch and back on again.

Overall, not a good experience with Andersen at all. I still need to ring them to get my unit sorted, it's annoying me to have to keep turning the power off to it on an almost daily basis. :roll:
Narvik Black I-Pace HSE with black everything, HUD, adaptive air suspension, privacy glass. 8-)

Return to “Andersen EV – Stylish EV Charging Points”