So the A2 is just a "dumb" charger, right?

We are British manufacturers of EV charging points. We use industrial grade electronics to give our product an unrivalled aesthetics and reliability. Discover why we are worth driving home to.
RJUK

So the A2 is just a "dumb" charger, right?

Post by RJUK » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:55 pm

Finally tried to use my A2 properly tonight and cannot work out how to do timed charging on it.

The app has nothing to allow it, other than a weird sliding button next to the "Charger Time" information that you can toggle to On or Off .. neither setting makes any difference to the charger though. So there's no way to stop the charging, other than physically pulling the cable out of the car. There's also nowhere in the app to enter any sort of timed charging settings. WTF? I thought this was supposed to be a smart charger? All the app lets me do is "lock" the charger, but TBH, I've not even tested to see if that works. Based on the rest of the app, I'd guess not.

Also, the manual on Andersen's website says that when charging the green and amber lights should be illuminated. There are no statuses mentioned where just the amber light illuminates, yet that's what mine does when charging. Can this company get anything right?

Their manual also seems to contradict itself about what lights should be lit through the manual and nowhere in the manual does it explain how to use timed charging or any other parts of the app.

I'm generally pretty patient when it comes to tech, but Jesus this charger is the most frustrating piece of equipment I've had to use in a long while. And I paid a premium for this over other chargers!

C'mon Andersen, you want to make a presence in the forum to sell these units, how about you back that up with some actual support?
Narvik Black I-Pace HSE with black everything, HUD, adaptive air suspension, privacy glass. 8-)

bluenun

Re: So the A2 is just a "dumb" charger, right?

Post by bluenun » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:11 am

I found the charge timer page on the app by accident. It’s not obvious but if you press and hold different areas of the Kønnect screen for a second, new pages appear. Don’t swipe, just press. At least that’s how it works on an iPhone.

alex_haddock

Post by alex_haddock » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:04 am

Yes, I also stumbled across the long press by accident having wondered where the timed feature was. I actually discovered it when long pressing on the charge time (giving more in depth charge details).

Once you know, its not a bad use of space but there is no indication in the UI at all. Or a brief tutorial on launch would do it.
i-Pace First Edition, Santorini Black, 20", 04/03/19
Known Software: 16.2 - 19.07.2-312706
H228 Completed (Telematics module replaced)

scm

Post by scm » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:31 am

alex_haddock wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:04 am
Once you know, its not a bad use of space but there is no indication in the UI at all. Or a brief tutorial on launch would do it.
A good UI should be intuitive to use. If you need to be taught it, the "designer" should be taken outside and .... :evil:

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:48 am

scm wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:31 am
alex_haddock wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:04 am
A good UI should be intuitive to use. If you need to be taught it, the "designer" should be taken outside and .... :evil:
A good UI should be intuitive to use. If you need to be taught it, the "designer" should be taken outside and... plugged into a charger???

Only joking but it seems that the are of UI design when it come to 'Ease of Use' is long gone.
Back in the day, we used to get people in off the street and get them to test the UI. They were set various tasks and were filmed doing it and the results fed back to the design team. now? Nah! Ship it and be dammed.
These testers got paid naturally.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D

alex_haddock

Post by alex_haddock » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:44 pm

Agreed, and it really wouldn’t be hard to fix. An indication in the UI would be better for sure and I’m not normally one for a tutorial but given its a single page with about four click zones even that would have been a starter.
i-Pace First Edition, Santorini Black, 20", 04/03/19
Known Software: 16.2 - 19.07.2-312706
H228 Completed (Telematics module replaced)

Return to “Andersen EV – Stylish EV Charging Points”