Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Ipace with spare but not air suspension.

20K views 41 replies 11 participants last post by  noddy 
#1 ·
Hi
Any chance someone from customer relations could post a pic of the boot of the Ipace that has the spare wheel specified but does not have air suspension. I believe in this configuration the wheel sits under a raised boot floor and would like to see a picture before I confirm my order.

Thanks

Dave

#2 ·
Dave , as far as my investigation s went on that very subject before my order ,
There were 2 possible outcomes ,
Either it would go under A RAISED FLOOR IN THE BOOT , as there really is very little room under the boot floor , we looked with the dealer.
Or IT JUST SITS IN THE BOOT , there are some photos on other threads on the forum , and it does take up a lot of room !
My decision was not to bother , may get a spare at some time in the future , but until then Jag Assist on call

#3 ·
Thanks Malcolm. My view is if it is loose in the boot then for me that is ok as I don't carry much stuff and will just take it out when I need space (assuming there is also the puncture kit and inflator under the floor) if it's a raised boot floor then I won't bother with it . Hence why I am trying to get a definitive answer / picture.

#4 ·
I am not sure of the answer regarding non-air suspension, as I do have that, but I was really annoyed at my dealer for not telling me that the spare does not fit under the car like every other vehicle I have ever owned. I bought the spare and it now lives in my garage, as I do need the boot!

There are few designed faults that I have found in this car, but that is certainly one of them. The car should have been designed with run-flat tyres and no spare, in my view.

#5 ·
Jilf said:
I am not sure of the answer regarding non-air suspension, as I do have that, but I was really annoyed at my dealer for not telling me that the spare does not fit under the car like every other vehicle I have ever owned. I bought the spare and it now lives in my garage, as I do need the boot!

There are few designed faults that I have found in this car, but that is certainly one of them. The car should have been designed with run-flat tyres and no spare, in my view.
I have a BMW 530d that was designed with run-flat tyres and no spare. Like many owners, I've changed my tyres to normal tyres because a) the ride is terrible b) noisy, c) tyres are way too expensive and d) the hard sidewalls break rims. I also bought myself a space-saver spare (400 Euros) which I carry around in the back when I'm not using it for anything else.

So for me the iPace with normal tyres and a space-saver option costing about 150 seems like a really good idea (of course it would have been nice for a full 5th wheel hidden away somewhere but it's not to be....)

IMO the decision to NOT specify run-flats is a good decision from JLR, and in keeping with the fact it's meant as a drivers car. It is a Jaguar after all.

#6 ·
@jilf When you opt for the spare wheel in the bag. Do you also get the inflation kit under the boot floor?

Would be good to know if you don't mind checking. Thanks

#7 ·
I am new to this site but i bought my i pace about 4 weeks ago with the promise for the dealer they would get me the £150 spare wheel.This was a must for me to have guess what they say they can not get me one for the se i pace.I then went on to Jaguar site and built the showroom model i purchased only adding the space saver wheel and it accepted my build so my blood began to boil.I then phoned Jaguar customer service and the man told me yes you can order the car but they would take it off my order at build i said whaaaaaaaaaaat i think you will be giving me a refund i am waiting for them to ring me back i will lwrite again when i get this sorted.I have looked in the wheel well and there is a polystyrene fitting there would be room for a slim wheel.

#8 ·
I don't know why they say you can't have the spare on any model as it is placed in a bag in the boot. The wheel they supply would be far to big to fit under the floor even without the polystyrene. I wanted the spare but in the end took it off my order as the dealer said you don't get the repair kit if you order the spare (which is daft)

#9 ·
I am back to update my i pace spare wheel .I am gatting mear to a answer, all the motor trade call it a space saver wheel but not Jaguar they call it wait for it a REDUCED SECTION ALLOY SPARE WHEEL so silly me asking for the wrong thing.So i have now asked for the right thing i was told at the Oulton Park event with spring suspention it fits under the floor with a slight raised floor so that is OK . i am waiting fo a phone call.

#10 ·
Hi DaveR

Thank you for your post.

To obtain the information you desire I would advise that you visit your local retailer, and they will be able to show you where the spare wheel is situated on the I-Pace.

To locate your local retailer please use the link below.

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/national-dealer-locator.html

If you have any further questions then please do not hesitate to contact me

Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK

#11 ·
To Dan at Jaguar UK. Re your post earlier about contacting a dealer to find out where the spare would be located. I intended to buy a spare as an extra when I ordered my iPace and enquired at that point where it would be stored in the car. I was specifically told that there is NO STORAGE SPACE and it simply has to lie loose in the boot. Are you now telling me that that is not the case and there is a storage location for it in the car. If so please not only tell me where that is but inform your entire dealer network to avoid similar misunderstandings.

#12 ·
CRC@Jaguar said:
DaveR said:
Hi
Any chance someone from customer relations could post a pic of the boot of the Ipace that has the spare wheel specified but does not have air suspension. I believe in this configuration the wheel sits under a raised boot floor and would like to see a picture before I confirm my order.

Thanks

Dave
Hi DaveR

Thank you for your post.

To obtain the information you desire I would advise that you visit your local retailer, and they will be able to show you where the spare wheel is situated on the I-Pace.

Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK
Dan,
it is a real shame that JLR CRC do not provide "real answers" to many of the questions raised here in this forum. The OP asked for a picture. You provide a standard (dare I say canned) response to check with the dealer who will show the OP where the wheel goes. Actually:
1) it's clear from many many posts here that the JLR dealer network are basically clueless and just don't know this sort of stuff
2) the dealers don't have photos to show the OP what the impact of this option is

That is why people continue to ask questions here - it's because your dealer network are mostly clueless that people hope YOU can fill that void. It's really frustrating for all of us when you just bounce us back to the dealers every time.

You (JLR) have an opportunity to fill that void on this forum and to improve a very poor JLR reputation by providing good, thoughtful feedback from your technical people.

It's a crying shame that you (JLR) are wasting this possibility to improve the customer experience.

Do you have any authority or responsibility to tell us anything useful ??

#14 ·
Hi Dave from Jaguar uk i have contacted my dealer they can tell me how fast it goes but no information about the space saver wheel renamed the REDUCED SECTION ALLOY SPARE WHEEL I have also contacted Jaguar customor service and they told me i can order the £150 wheel on my build but when it came to build my car they would remove it., that is when i could not belive what this guy was telling me.The only Jaguar person who has explained the wheel said it fits in the boot floor with a slightly raised floor cover if the car has spring suspention he was at the Oulton Park event. i think some one like you Dave from Jaguar uk should find a photo put it on here and put us all ouy of our misery.I

#15 ·
Billy Bunter said:
CRC@Jaguar said:
DaveR said:
Hi

Thanks

Dave
Hi DaveR

Thank you for your post.

Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK
Dan,
it is a real shame that JLR CRC do not provide "real answers" to many of the questions raised here in this forum. The OP asked for a picture. You provide a standard (dare I say canned) response to check with the dealer who will show the OP where the wheel goes. Actually:
1) it's clear from many many posts here that the JLR dealer network are basically clueless and just don't know this sort of stuff
2) the dealers don't have photos to show the OP what the impact of this option is

That is why people continue to ask questions here - it's because your dealer network are mostly clueless that people hope YOU can fill that void. It's really frustrating for all of us when you just bounce us back to the dealers every time.

You (JLR) have an opportunity to fill that void on this forum and to improve a very poor JLR reputation by providing good, thoughtful feedback from your technical people.

It's a crying shame that you (JLR) are wasting this possibility to improve the customer experience.

Do you have any authority or responsibility to tell us anything useful ??
Hi Billy Bunter

Thank you for your post and your feedback.

There are currently no brochure approved images of the spare wheel in-situ available at this time, so I am unable to provide this request. While we are limited in the technical advice we can give, we do endeavor to answer the queries of the forum to the best of our ability with our extensive resources, and escalate any technical concerns to the relevant area of the business.

A visit to the retailer in this instance would be the most advantageous solution to the customer as it would be clear how the spare wheel is situated in the boot of the I-Pace.

If you have any further concerns please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK

#16 ·
Yet another rubbish response from Dan at Jaguar UK. Dan, how about answering my post both as a private message to you as well as the pubic one in which I informed you that my Jaguar dealer specifically said that there was NO place for the spare and it had to go loose in the boot. Well does it, or does it not? Since you appear to be tasked to keep an eye on this forum may I humbly suggest that your two posts on this subject are entirely inadequate and unhelpful. I don't mean this personally at all but since you are the semi-public face of your employer you should do better. This is a simple matter of keeping your employer's customers and potential customers informed and currently your responses are pretty poor if I may say so. Find out for yourself if you don't know, what the position is with the spare and give us an honest answer.

#17 ·
JonB said:
Yet another rubbish response from Dan at Jaguar UK. Dan, how about answering my post both as a private message to you as well as the pubic one in which I informed you that my Jaguar dealer specifically said that there was NO place for the spare and it had to go loose in the boot. Well does it, or does it not? Since you appear to be tasked to keep an eye on this forum may I humbly suggest that your two posts on this subject are entirely inadequate and unhelpful. I don't mean this personally at all but since you are the semi-public face of your employer you should do better. This is a simple matter of keeping your employer's customers and potential customers informed and currently your responses are pretty poor if I may say so. Find out for yourself if you don't know, what the position is with the spare and give us an honest answer.
probably not Dan's personal fault; I suspect the JLR policy that he & his CRC colleagues have to follow is extremely restrictive, so it's the *policy* that needs changing to make it more customer friendly.

What Dan & his CRC colleagues CAN DO, is to talk to their management and tell them what's happening here....., ie:

"Boss, did you know that the ipaceforum has now got just under a thousand members ? As you know boss, there're a lot of teething problems with the initial iPace deliveries and a lot of customers seem unhappy that the real world range is nowhere near what they expected. I'm a bit worried boss that others will pickup on their bad experiences and we'll lose a lot of future sales......

Boss..... I guess that for every 1 forum member there're probably 10-20 casual viewers who are all potential customers doing their own research about new cars, so there're about 20,000 potential customers looking at this website and making decisions about the iPace, the Audi eTron, Tesla and the other new EVs that are coming.

Boss.... would it be possible for me and my CRC colleagues to be a bit more proactive and helpful in responding to this forum ??
That way we we might begin to improve our image which might start to encourage some of those 20,000 uncommitted buyers towards an iPace rather than running away scared to the competition ?"

What's clear is that these bland useless replies are actually worse than saying nothing, both for JLR and for us forum members. I'm sorry to say they just show a lack of corporate interest which is a bit shocking in this modern World.

#18 ·
Billy Bunter said:
JonB said:
probably not Dan's personal fault; I suspect the JLR policy that he & his CRC colleagues have to follow is extremely restrictive, so it's the *policy* that needs changing to make it more customer friendly.

What Dan & his CRC colleagues CAN DO, is to talk to their management and tell them what's happening here....., ie:

"Boss, did you know that the ipaceforum has now got just under a thousand members ? As you know boss, there're a lot of teething problems with the initial iPace deliveries and a lot of customers seem unhappy that the real world range is nowhere near what they expected. I'm a bit worried boss that others will pickup on their bad experiences and we'll lose a lot of future sales......

Boss..... I guess that for every 1 forum member there're probably 10-20 casual viewers who are all potential customers doing their own research about new cars, so there're about 20,000 potential customers looking at this website and making decisions about the iPace, the Audi eTron, Tesla and the other new EVs that are coming.

Boss.... would it be possible for me and my CRC colleagues to be a bit more proactive and helpful in responding to this forum ??
That way we we might begin to improve our image which might start to encourage some of those 20,000 uncommitted buyers towards an iPace rather than running away scared to the competition ?"

What's clear is that these bland useless replies are actually worse than saying nothing, both for JLR and for us forum members. I'm sorry to say they just show a lack of corporate interest which is a bit shocking in this modern World.
Absolutely spot on, I got a worse result (never came back to me) when I phoned JLR directly for information that 3 different dealers could not agree on regarding the InControl Secure module.

The dealers are very much in the dark with the I-Pace and from what I have been told JLR are not offering a proper course other than a ride and drive event.

I was hoping for so much more from JLR, first to market with a great looking EV that has good fit and finish but then failing at the basics, talk about shooting yourself in the foot. :cry:

#19 ·
It's a simple ask.

What exactly do you get when you order the spare?

My dealer says it comes in a bag and is tied in the boot. But also said that you do not get the repair kit as well which would mean on those occasions that you need to take the spare out to make room you have no back up. Meanwhile at Oulton Park I was told you got both spare and the repair kit.

Soley based on the info from my dealer I cancelled the spare. (I want the spare but not at the expense of the repair kit)

All i wanted to know is idefinativiley that the repair kit also came when a spare is ordered and the spare is always in its own case "loose" in the boot.

Simple enough request but I don't really trust any of the answers I have been given so far as they have been based on supposition and educated guesses by the various people at jaguar. I honestly expected customer services to take this up and come back with THE answer but clearly that isn't going to happen.

While every other aspect of purchase and support has been great the lack of knowledge on this simple matter is a little disconcerting.. This is not the way to sell a +70k car.

#20 ·
DaveR said:
It's a simple ask.

My dealer says it comes in a bag and is tied in the boot. But also said that you do not get the repair kit as well which would mean on those occasions that you need to take the spare out to make room you have no back up. Meanwhile at Oulton Park I was told you got both spare and the repair kit.

Soley based on the info from my dealer I cancelled the spare. (I want the spare but not at the expense of the repair kit)

All i wanted to know is idefinativiley that the repair kit also came when a spare is ordered and the spare is always in its own case "loose" in the boot.

Simple enough request but I don't really trust any of the answers I have been given so far as they have been based on supposition and educated guesses by the various people at jaguar. I honestly expected customer services to take this up and come back with THE answer but clearly that isn't going to happen.

While every other aspect of purchase and support has been great the lack of knowledge on this simple matter is a little disconcerting.. This is not the way to sell a +70k car.
Good Morning DaveR

Further to your original post, I am extremely sorry to hear that you feel the responses from Jaguar CRC are not satisfactory.

However, I have investigated your original concern and if you would like to receive further information on the matter then please PM me directly.

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK

#21 ·
JonB said:
Hi JonB

Thank you for your post.

I am very sorry to hear that you have not received the answer you desire. However, I am more than happy to respond to your PM with further information if you wish me to do so, as I wish to investigate your original concern to the best of my ability.

Please PM me directly if you would like to receive further correspondence on the matter.

Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK

#22 ·
CRC@Jaguar said:
DaveR said:
It's a simple ask.

This is not the way to sell a +70k car.
Good Morning DaveR

Further to your original post, I am extremely sorry to hear that you feel the responses from Jaguar CRC are not satisfactory.

However, I have investigated your original concern and if you would like to receive further information on the matter then please PM me directly.

Many Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK
very odd response Dan.

Are you not allowed to inform the other 1000+ viewers of this forum what the answer is ??

This is not a James Bond Aston Martin :cool: , and you're not Q :idea: , so there's really no good reason to be so secretive about all these unexplained hidden features of the iPace........... we're "customers"... remember ???

#23 ·
Hey Dave R (and anyone else who reads this)

Dave, I couldn't agree more with what you have written above, which applies equally to Dan's response to me immediately above his response to you There is nothing personal in this Dan at all, as one has to assume you are sticking to company rules but it does make me wonder exactly what JLR's attitude is to us customers actually is....and yes we are important customers as in my case I have shelled out in excess of £70,000 which is more than I have ever spent on a car in over 45 years of ownership so I expect an absolutely straightforward and transparent relationship with the manufacturer and sales force of my vehicle. And incidentally Dan, your colleague Becki has managed to post a photo and a response elsewhere on this forum which clarified that there is nowhere to store the spare in the iPace other than loose in the boot, so why are you being so coy about it, unless that is you really don't know which seems rather odd, with all due respect of course. And Dan, since I have previously PM'd you with my contact details why on earth are you not responding to me except b y asking for another POM if I want more information. Poor work Dan if I may say so. Definitely a C- if that

#24 ·
Dan-Jaguar UK - not a very helpful response, a photo would, however, be really helpful! -
My dealer does not have this information, the sales guy asked the parts dept., the parts dept dug out a vehicle manual and told me that whatever model you get - A spare wheel will be in a bag thingy in the boot?

#25 ·
Basil Fawlty said:
Dan-Jaguar UK - not a very helpful response, a photo would, however, be really helpful! -
My dealer does not have this information, the sales guy asked the parts dept., the parts dept dug out a vehicle manual and told me that whatever model you get - A spare wheel will be in a bag thingy in the boot?
Hi Basil Fawlty

Thank you for your post.

If you require further information on this matter then please PM me and I would be happy to assist you in any way I can.

Thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK

#26 ·
Hi All the problem i have is i bought the SE model from the showroom with the promise they would get me a wheel . I also went to the Oulton Park event and the guy in the tent told us all how fast it went and then said any questions i asked about the spare wheel and he said has is got spring suspention yes it has he said fine i fits under a slightly raised floor pan now who do we believe because i feel as i have been misled. I have had the polistyrene fitting out of the floor and there is about 6"space looking at the space saver wheel in my f pace with a slight raised cover it would fit so still not convinced until somone on here get one and tells us all because i do not think jlr have a clue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.