SIM card

Forum for Jaguar Customer Relations
funkwhiz
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:14 pm
Location: Amsterdam

Re: SIM card

Post by funkwhiz » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:26 pm

sciencegeek wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:49 pm
From the iPace owner's manual in the InControl Overview section, right on top:

"Several InControl® features require an internet connection. A data-enabled micro SIM is pre-installed to the vehicle. If a data-enabled micro SIM card has not been supplied, please contact a retailer/authorized repairer."
That leaves room for interpretation. Although rare, you have SIM cards with voice only (no data). The line above may suggest to the reader a data-plan should be added. I assumed the emergency calls are over voice, so incorrectly assumed to require a voice enabled SIM.
First Edition | Ordered 26-07


Billy Bunter
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:27 am
Location: Leiden, Netherlands

Re: SIM card

Post by Billy Bunter » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:26 pm

sciencegeek wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:49 pm
From the iPace owner's manual in the InControl Overview section, right on top:

"Several InControl® features require an internet connection. A data-enabled micro SIM is pre-installed to the vehicle. If a data-enabled micro SIM card has not been supplied, please contact a retailer/authorized repairer."
and from the European (Dutch) manual:

“Several InControl features require an internet connection. The owner is responsible for providing a data-enabled micro SIM card.”

ie: market-specific
SE, Firenze Red, Black Pack & Black 20” wheels, Air Suspention, HUD, Adaptive Cruise & Steering etc, DAB+


RichT
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 4:41 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: SIM card

Post by RichT » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:55 pm

I was told by my dealer that the recovery/emergency system uses its own embedded SIM.
It also has a back up battery in case the car 12V power has failed.


Jilf
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:14 pm
Location: London/UK

Re: SIM card

Post by Jilf » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:41 pm

So... the car has its own in-built SIM which is used for security and tracking by Jaguar and for emergency response. It does not provide data for infotainment and navigation, nor Jaguar roadside assistance. For this you need a data card. Jaguar supply a Ubigi data card which has the best network coverage I have come across, but they only give you 500Mb data per month for the warranty period of three years, It is not nearly enough for most users. You can upgrade using the app. I have found that if you have traffic switched on and switch off the satellite view for navigation, you use about 500mb per week. I guess an over the air update will use a lot more.


Snoerd
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:41 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: SIM card

Post by Snoerd » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:33 pm

Jilf wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:41 pm
I have found that if you have traffic switched on and switch off the satellite view for navigation, you use about 500mb per week.
I still can't figure out what causes this high amount of data usage. Traffic information should only be a few MB's per week, not 500! What else is happening??
--
Jaguar I-Pace S, Order date July 16, 2018
Fuji White, Tow Bar, expected build date Nov 9, expected date at dealer Nov 23, expected delivery Nov 28. Arrived at dealer Dec 17 for delivery Dec 21! :D


pivoking
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Location: Nederland

Re: SIM card

Post by pivoking » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:07 pm

Snoerd wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:33 pm
Jilf wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:41 pm
I have found that if you have traffic switched on and switch off the satellite view for navigation, you use about 500mb per week.
I still can't figure out what causes this high amount of data usage. Traffic information should only be a few MB's per week, not 500! What else is happening??
Maybe it is set as a Wi-Fi hotspot (possible) and then the phone connects to the hotspot..... that could explain the usage
SE, Corris Grey, Light Oyster, Air Suspention ,HUD, DAB+, Privacy glass, Black Exterior Pack, Black 20" Diamond Turned Finish


Jilf
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:14 pm
Location: London/UK

Re: SIM card

Post by Jilf » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:23 pm

Hotspot is off. Unless the car is watching car-porn, I really have no idea what it is doing, but it is doing something because 6 weeks on and it is still using data at the same rate. I have to take the car in for a couple of faults and will ask then.


Billy Bunter
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:27 am
Location: Leiden, Netherlands

Re: SIM card

Post by Billy Bunter » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:33 pm

Jilf wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:23 pm
Hotspot is off. Unless the car is watching car-porn, I really have no idea what it is doing, but it is doing something because 6 weeks on and it is still using data at the same rate. I have to take the car in for a couple of faults and will ask then.
can you not just take the sim out & try driving a few days to see what’s missing ?

If you don’t notice anything, leave it out !
SE, Firenze Red, Black Pack & Black 20” wheels, Air Suspention, HUD, Adaptive Cruise & Steering etc, DAB+


Jilf
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:14 pm
Location: London/UK

Re: SIM card

Post by Jilf » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:19 pm

I have been speaking to the engineers at Jaguar on another matter and mentioned this. They were perplexed too. I think that if the In-Control App is left not fully closed it updates the vehicle status every minute or so, and this causes a lot of data flow. Can't think of anything else. Jaguar Assistance thought it maybe doing over the air updates. I doubt it - not for 6 weeks!


Post Reply

Return to “Jaguar Customer Relations”