pre-conditioning - climate and battery

Forum for Jaguar Customer Relations
Jue

Re: pre-conditioning - climate and battery

Post by Jue » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:17 am

sorry for my typo, the cabin warming started at 9:10 not 8:10 so half an hour before departure time

Cineman

Post by Cineman » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:24 pm

Thanks Jue, that's interesting stuff.. and thanks to the others that have posted their thoughts here on my questions.. everyone except "Dan" from Jaguar who said he was "escalating" this question... around a month ago.. It's still a mystery as to whether a "granny charger" (the 220v charger supplied with the car) will precondition the batteries if they are 100% with a pre-condition set time. Your post seem to indicate probably not, but others elsewhere have said it "will" or "might".. This is of relevance to me as I do a lot of 200 mile journeys winter and summer and at the moment see no need to install a 7kw charger as there are 4 day gaps in between these journeys.. So I am TRYING to get a simple answer to some simple questions but JAGUAR CUSTOMER RELATIONS seem like the kind of relations that most of us would dread... ie the kind that won't talk to you!!
MY19 HSE, purchased s/h Nov 2020, Red, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, 20” wheels changed to 18”. TCU 18.2.

Grunt

Post by Grunt » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:57 pm

Cineman wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:24 pm
Thanks Jue, that's interesting stuff.. and thanks to the others that have posted their thoughts here on my questions.. everyone except "Dan" from Jaguar who said he was "escalating" this question... around a month ago.. It's still a mystery as to whether a "granny charger" (the 220v charger supplied with the car) will precondition the batteries if they are 100% with a pre-condition set time. Your post seem to indicate probably not, but others elsewhere have said it "will" or "might".. This is of relevance to me as I do a lot of 200 mile journeys winter and summer and at the moment see no need to install a 7kw charger as there are 4 day gaps in between these journeys.. So I am TRYING to get a simple answer to some simple questions but JAGUAR CUSTOMER RELATIONS seem like the kind of relations that most of us would dread... ie the kind that won't talk to you!!
Cineman,

Why don't you simply buy a 240v 16A charger? I found several decent ones in on Amazon for around €200, it charges almost twice as fast (thanks to less losses), the considerably lower charging losses make it pay for itself over time and it does certainly precondition the HV battery.

You do need a serious Schuko plug though, 3.8kW for hours and hours is too much for a generic household plug.

Cineman

Post by Cineman » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:59 pm

Good idea Grunt - that is exactly what I should do.. Any links to what you are thinking of.. and what is a "serious schuko" plug - I assume that would need to be fitted instead of the 13amp plug socket?
Cheers,
Oliver S.
MY19 HSE, purchased s/h Nov 2020, Red, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, 20” wheels changed to 18”. TCU 18.2.

Cineman

Post by Cineman » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:08 pm

I have now received an official reply to my queries from Dan at CRC with a PM.. I won't reproduce it here as unfortunately none of my questions was answered (about pre-conditioning ) - It is a cut & paste answer about charging and does not address the fundamental question about battery pre-conditioning or even mention the topic! 7 weeks for a reply where the questions weren't even read..
Sad really... but it's a great car!