JAGUAR I-PACE: Charging Points

Forum for Jaguar Customer Relations
CRC@Jaguar

Re: JAGUAR I-PACE: Charging Points

Post by CRC@Jaguar » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:57 pm

Goshdarnit wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:41 pm
I have a question about the “extensive charging networks across the country” Dan. Why doesn’t the I-Pace actually work with most of them (in this case, the country is Scotland)?
Hi goshdarnit,

According to Zap-Map, Scotland has over 3,000 charging connectors.

I-PACE has been tested and has been shown to work well with a wide range of networks including, Polar, Geniepoint, NewMotion, Pod Point, Charge your Car, InstaVolt, Chargeplace Scotland, Ionity.

Do have any specific examples of chargers not working with I-PACE?

If so, please PM me with your contact, vehicle and retailer details so I can look into this further.

Thanks,

Chand - Land Rover UK

NightFox

Post by NightFox » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:14 pm

(grabs popcorn)

Chutche

Post by Chutche » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:26 pm

My I-pace will NOT charge at the following ccs chargers.Grantown-on-Spey Aviemore
Kingussie Stirling Inverarray and Lochgilphead
To say I-pace charges at most cyc chargers in Scotland is not my experience.
Perhaps we should start a Scottish database of cyc chargers that Do work with I-pace.
Anyone got a list to start?

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:44 pm

CRC@Jaguar wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi goshdarnit,

I-PACE has been tested and has been shown to work well with a wide range of networks including, Polar, Geniepoint, NewMotion, Pod Point, Charge your Car, InstaVolt, Chargeplace Scotland, Ionity.

If so, please PM me with your contact, vehicle and retailer details so I can look into this further.

Thanks,

Chand - Land Rover UK
Hi Chand. Sent you a PM. Thanks!
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.
IMC: S19A_19.07.2-312706 Telematics: 14.2

Check out my I-Pace Channel on YouTube
Control your iPace with Siri voice commands

Chewy

Post by Chewy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:45 pm

CRC@Jaguar wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:57 pm
Goshdarnit wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:41 pm
I have a question about the “extensive charging networks across the country” Dan. Why doesn’t the I-Pace actually work with most of them (in this case, the country is Scotland)?
Hi goshdarnit,

Thanks,

Chand - Land Rover UK

I have just myself a beer and will await the reply from Goshdarnit :-)
Caesium Blue S. 18” Wheels.
250+ miles range driven in the winter.
300+ miles range driven in the summer.
S19A-07, H228

AGT

Post by AGT » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:14 pm

Scotland:

- has a minority Government supported by the Green Party;
- produced 75% of its electricity from renewable sources;
- is the home to TESLA's largest institutional shareholder,

and has 3,000 charging connectors, very few of which work with an I-Pace.

There is an interesting article in the FT today explaining that the "poor" infrastructure continues to be a barrier to adoption of EVs. The article refers to "costly stranded assets". At first I thought that this must mean Scottish I-Paces. However, it turns out that what the industry means by "costly stranded assets" is EV pumps which no-one uses.

Really disappointing to think that my fantastic I-Pace is pretty much confined to the central belt of the country - unless that nice Mr Bannatyne would like to build some more health clubs around the country.

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:29 pm

A lady from Jaguar called me this morning and we had a lengthy discussion where I explained exactly how both my recent road trips in the I-Pace went. She took extensive notes and promised to get back to me once she had discussed it with the technical team. No solution yet (or maybe ever) but nice to see Jaguar being responsive and following up.
I-Pace First Edition, Corris Grey, Oyster interior, 22” diamond cut alloys with carbon inserts.

Jagmanmick

Post by Jagmanmick » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:04 pm

Goshdarnit wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:29 pm
A lady from Jaguar called me this morning and we had a lengthy discussion where I explained exactly how both my recent road trips in the I-Pace went. She took extensive notes and promised to get back to me once she had discussed it with the technical team. No solution yet (or maybe ever) but nice to see Jaguar being responsive and following up.
As far as I am aware the communication standard for 50kW DC chargers is Din spec 70121:2014 but as the I-Pace can charge at 100kW supposedly it's communication standard to interface with the DC charger has to be ISO 15118. Although they should be able to communicate with each other there can be problems as we know. Unless they can programme the I-pace to work on both standards I can't see them ever resolving the problem.
MY20 I-Pace SE in Firenze Red. Took delivery 25/04/19 :D

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:12 pm

Jagmanmick wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:04 pm
As far as I am aware the communication standard for 50kW DC chargers is Din spec 70121:2014 but as the I-Pace can charge at 100kW supposedly it's communication standard to interface with the DC charger has to be ISO 15118. Although they should be able to communicate with each other there can be problems as we know. Unless they can programme the I-pace to work on both standards I can't see them ever resolving the problem.
That’s not the information that’s coming from eVolt, and wouldn’t explain why sometime (40-50% of attempts) the car does successfully charge. Nor would it explain why other manufacturers are able to charge on both types of charger.

Jagmanmick

Post by Jagmanmick » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:07 pm

Goshdarnit wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:12 pm
Jagmanmick wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:04 pm
That’s not the information that’s coming from eVolt, and wouldn’t explain why sometime (40-50% of attempts) the car does successfully charge. Nor would it explain why other manufacturers are able to charge on both types of charger.
I know evolt chargers communicate using the 70121 standard it's in their charger specification. The standard for charging above 80kW is 15118 so the I-pace must communicate using that spec unless as I said the vehicle is programmed with both standards and can switch between. Also 70121 is derived from an early form of 15118 thats why it's supposed to be able to communicate with it and why it does sometimes. As for other manufacturers they may well have their vehicles programmed to work to both standards and therefore have no problem charging.
MY20 I-Pace SE in Firenze Red. Took delivery 25/04/19 :D

Return to “Jaguar Customer Relations”