How to use the "Charge period” in InControl

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar I-Pace
Snoerd

Re: How to use the "Charge period” in InControl

Post by Snoerd » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:12 pm

McRat wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:55 pm

There is no reason to program your car below 91%, and more realistically 95%. There is considerable regen at 95% even if cold.
A pretty good reason: you don't want to to ruin your battery by keeping it charged to 100%! Jaguar says it's ok to do it, but they accept 30 capacity loss due to this charging recommendation before you can claim warrantee. Better safe than sorry and keep it between 40 and 80 when possible and Jaguar should facilitate this like other manufacturer. It's just software that stops charging in time. It is even already built, but hidden in the Android app.
--
Jaguar I-Pace S, Order date July 16, 2018
Fuji White, Tow Bar, expected build date Nov 9, expected date at dealer Nov 23, expected delivery Nov 28. Arrived at dealer Dec 17 for delivery Dec 21! :D

sciencegeek

Post by sciencegeek » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:16 pm

Snoerd wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:12 pm
A pretty good reason: you don't want to to ruin your battery by keeping it charged to 100%! Jaguar says it's ok to do it, but they accept 30 capacity loss due to this charging recommendation before you can claim warrantee. Better safe than sorry and keep it between 40 and 80 when possible.
I totally agree.

McRat

Post by McRat » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:28 pm

The JLR I-Pace long term storage procedure checklist says they want it stored at 35% and checked once a month according to TOPIx.

TEST RESULTS ACTION
SoC less than 15% Re-charge to 35%
SoC less than 30% and has discharged more than 5% since last check Re-charge to 35%
SoC more than 60% (Only applicable for storage or transport) Discharge to 35%

So if you're not going to drive it, stay at 35%.

Ditto with ICE cars. Never operate the car until the oil temperature stabilizes. Do not lug the engine, Keep RPM below 3500. Avoid sustained speed operation. Your engine will last much longer.
2019 I-Pace FE
2019 & 2017 Chevrolet Volts
24.2 kW self-installed 480v 3-ph solar array

Baikar

Post by Baikar » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:39 am

Am I correct in saying that the car will only precondition after it has fully charged to 100%? That’s how I’ve read it in the manual. I have manually went into the app and switched on the climate but I can’t seem to get the preconditioning to work as I’ve yet to charge the car to 100%.

Dtrawford

Post by Dtrawford » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:35 pm

I have an Open EVSE charger from the USA. This has the ability to set the charge time from the wall box itself. This morning I tried it so set the charger to work after a few minutes .plugged in and locked up. The wall box charger switched on but the car itself via the app showed NOT charging!!
Left the charger on ,opened the car unplugged and plugged in and locked again and of course it started to charge. Presumably this is due to the sensor wire needing to be giving a signal when the car is initially connected up. Not sure there is any way round this as I still have not been able to get the in car charger to work on timed basis.It always charges at 30A when plugged in.
Has anyone mastered the secret of timed charging yet please??
Farallon black HSE, 20” wheels , oyster interior

brianscott757

Post by brianscott757 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:25 pm

Dtrawford wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:35 pm
I have an Open EVSE charger from the USA. This has the ability to set the charge time from the wall box itself. This morning I tried it so set the charger to work after a few minutes .plugged in and locked up. The wall box charger switched on but the car itself via the app showed NOT charging!!
Left the charger on ,opened the car unplugged and plugged in and locked again and of course it started to charge. Presumably this is due to the sensor wire needing to be giving a signal when the car is initially connected up. Not sure there is any way round this as I still have not been able to get the in car charger to work on timed basis.It always charges at 30A when plugged in.
Hi,

As from my post of a little while ago, my I-Pace is to go to dealer tomorrow (Feb8th 2019) to receive a "manual fix package" from JLR which I am told will correct the issue with Preferred Charging. Once installed I have agreed to do a test overnight to see if the App / car system then actually works as it should, I will let you all know the outcome of this by Monday of next week.

Dtrawford

Post by Dtrawford » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:53 pm

brianscott757 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:25 pm
Dtrawford wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:35 pm
Hi,

As from my post of a little while ago, my I-Pace is to go to dealer tomorrow (Feb8th 2019) to receive a "manual fix package" from JLR which I am told will correct the issue with Preferred Charging. Once installed I have agreed to do a test overnight to see if the App / car system then actually works as it should, I will let you all know the outcome of this by Monday of next week.
Yes I will look forward to your report after your fix. Let’s hope it is successful

Simonmac

Post by Simonmac » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:56 pm

brianscott757 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:25 pm
Hi,

Hi Brian. Really interested to see what happens. There have been so many people looking at this all without success for some time. No pressure! :lol: Hope it goes well and there is something concrete we can do too that comes out of this.

Marv

Post by Marv » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:29 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello (first post) and share my experience on this. I have the same issue as everyone else and came across this thread on the back of a google search.

I made a little video showing the problem and my local dealer sent it off to the JLR technical team for comment. They said they are aware of customer feedback and are working on a new software release (no release date given).

The crux of the issue is that currently it is a *preferred* charge period, not a *required* charge period and will only be observed if the car can reach 100% charge in that set period. This probably explains why people are saying that it sometimes appears to work and not at other times.

They clarified the current logic which I've pasted below.

If a Preferred Charge Time window has not been selected:
the car will automatically start to charge to 100%.
once the battery is at 100% charge it will be held there.
circa 3 hours before the selected departure time, the battery will start to be warmed up.
Note, if there isn't sufficient amount of time to charge the battery to 100% AND warm the battery, the car will prioritise charging.

If a Preferred Charge Time window has been selected:
the car will work out if the battery can be charged to 100% and warmed within the selected time window.
if yes: the charge port will flash blue and charging won't start until the selected time.
if no: the car will start charging immediately.
Note, if the Preferred Charge Time is less than 30 minutes in the future the car will start charging immediately.

Loving the car despite these little wrinkles!
I-Pace First Edition Corris Grey

Dtrawford

Post by Dtrawford » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:06 am

Very interesting will also be interesting how quickly JLR can come up with a fix including being able to dial in the SOC

Return to “Faults & Technical”