False triggering of side obstacle detection when turning right close to full lock

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar I-Pace
DVDfan

False triggering of side obstacle detection when turning right close to full lock

Post by DVDfan » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:50 pm

I have this issue when doing sharp right turn and getting side obstacle detection alert for no reason and no obstacle in vicinity. It appears after car has been driven for a bit but not necessarily visible from cold start. I had asked for it to be looked by the dealer when they did my first service and they mentioned that they saw some codes logged on Side Obstacle Detection Module and they should be gone after software update and might need recalibration. Not sure if dealer did any updates as none of the visible version of firmware seem to have changed and issue is still there. I had Jaguar Roadside assistance to look at it and they were able to replicate it but not able to fix. Engineer explained that Side obstacle detection modules are up to date and there is no calibration possible to do on them. It would appear that they need to be replaced on the right side. When this issue appears just turning steering wheel close to full lock will trigger the alert with constant beep while there is no obstruction at all. It gets quite distracting when driving and a times feel dangerous. It is a huge pain in multi-storey car parks when going up as it just beep all the way non stop while there is no obstruction.

I wonder if anyone had experience such issue and if so how it was fixed? I am taking car back to the same dealer to get this and other issue looked into and it would be really helpful to know what to tell them and point them in a right direction. Here is screenshot of what is shown on the screen when this happens:

Side obstracle alert.jpg

TheBook

Re: False triggering of side obstacle detection when turning right close to full lock

Post by TheBook » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:02 am

I see the same from time to time, only when turning right tightly. Slightly un-nerving the first time, now grown to accept it as 'one of those things'...
MY20 I-Pace HSE
Range Rover Evoque Autobiography

DVDfan

Re: False triggering of side obstacle detection when turning right close to full lock

Post by DVDfan » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:08 am

I hope it can be fixed. I'll share solution if I mange to get it resolved. What version of TCU and Infotainment are you on? Unlikely to be software related but still worth checking.

Lobster

Post by Lobster » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:12 am

Hi DVDfan & TheBook,

the PDC sensor on the front edge of the wheel arch may be detecting the edge of your front wheel emerging into the "field of detection" when at full lock.

Do you have the big 22' wheels and tyres option or wheel spacers?

You could try testing the sensitivity of this sensor adjacent to the front edge of this wheel with something similar to a broom head on a stick or a spare wheel etc.

I have heard of people placing some duct tape or electrical insulation tape over the edge of a PDC sensor detecting an intruding accessory spotlight. I have not tried this but it may be possible to temporarily desensitise this sensor.

Cheers, Steve
MY19 FE | Photon Red | 20" 5070s |H264 | H280 | SOTA | S21A_21.10.6-676616 |
TCU : J8A2-70712-AY = (19.2) | BECS: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE |Oz Map:8.30.121.152 - 20/07/21|
Mods: 55Ah 12V AGM Battery | 2 x "Matson" 12V Battery Monitors |

EEV320

Post by EEV320 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:18 pm

I had this too sometimes.
I had the same thing with my BMW 5-Series due to active rear axle steering. It was gone with an update. For the I-Pace I don’t really know. My dealer wants to fix a lot of things with the next software update, hopefully
EV320SE MY2021
German spec.
Eiger grey, black pack, drivers assistance pack, WiFi hotspot
Software 2.0.10e

fa147

Post by fa147 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:01 am

I too have noticed this lately and it is somewhat frustrating as when you are on completely lock it is because you need to be and that is normally because you are trying get out of a tight location... The last thing you need is incorrect beeping and bonging distracting you.

Worse still is starting to ignore the beeping and bonging thinking it is wrong and then hitting/scrapping the car... frustration.
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
S21A_21.10.6-67661 | Telematics: 19.2 | Map 08.030.0121.0152
Home Charging: Zappi 2.0 | I-Pace Member's Map: https://bit.ly/3cCU3Ei

EEV320

Post by EEV320 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:38 pm

Yeah that’s true. I tried a little bit with the cameras on MY21 and the yellow lines are quite accurate and I’m gaining trust on them.
If yellow lines show I can make it, I really think it does the job, no matter the beeping.

But I mistrusted Jaguars technology on this and tried a little bit with plastic cones lol
EV320SE MY2021
German spec.
Eiger grey, black pack, drivers assistance pack, WiFi hotspot
Software 2.0.10e