Charger fails when door opened

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar I-Pace
Mccall2693

Charger fails when door opened

Post by Mccall2693 » Sun May 09, 2021 4:49 pm

I have 2 ipace 21 models for my business. I’ve noticed that when charging on a public charger, once the dash goes to sleep, if you then open the door, the charger fails and the dash says initialising. I then need to disconnect and restart the charger.

Asked Jaguar to look at this but they said they couldn’t recreate the fault. Happens on both cars and on different chargers. On an aside I met a motoring journalist who was charging her Audi Etron GT last week (she was test driving it). I mentioned to her and she was astounded. She then unlocked the Audi and the same thing happened.

2-BEV

Re: Charger fails when door opened

Post by 2-BEV » Sun May 09, 2021 5:11 pm

As Murray Walker used to say, "It's like Deja Vu, all over again".
I posted a similar message a week or so a go and got several responses and suggested work arounds.
Have a look at "Rapid Charging/Door Opening Question".
I guess once you know about it, you can avoid it. Apparently this occurs only on Rapids >50kWHR.
MY21 SE Portofino/Oyster OS 2.0.9a P2C9. Mini Cooper SE

SammyD

Post by SammyD » Sun May 09, 2021 7:37 pm

2-BEV wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 5:11 pm
I posted a similar message a week or so a go and got several responses and suggested work arounds.
Have a look at "Rapid Charging/Door Opening Question".
I guess once you know about it, you can avoid it. Apparently this occurs only on Rapids >50kWHR.
Apparently this occurs only on Rapids >50kWHR.

I've seen this happen on several different makes of AC (7.5kWh) chargers including my old Pod-Point. This didn't happen when I first got the car but one or more of the software updates since has made it far more sensitive to any door opening.
Driving "Hirundo Rustica" since 15th Mar 2019. Lovely Jubbly :D :D
S20C since 11th Dec 2020 Maps : whatever is current/can be bothered to download

scm

Post by scm » Sun May 09, 2021 7:40 pm

2-BEV wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 5:11 pm
I think that was Yogi Berra. ;)

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Sun May 09, 2021 8:55 pm

Mine stops when door unlocked on 7 kw charger,
remove plug, re lock door, unlock door, plug in, lock door,
Then leave it alone. - unlock always stops charging so you can remove plug
On 50kw charger open, close, lock and unlock charging continues, don’t use remote lock.
Charging stops when you stop the charger, car releases plug when current stops - usually.
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

Jaglar

Post by Jaglar » Sun May 09, 2021 10:40 pm

Same behavior with my MY21 with rapid chargers (above 100 kW). Sequence seems to be as follows, charging starts, get back in car, close the door, do the usual stuff like check an email/text etc, driver display goes dark (no charging info) and Pivi pro is off, then open the door to go for a coffee and as soon as you open the door the charging stops. Having closed the door, with or without locking the white initializing light flashes but the charging never restarts. Start charging processing from beginning. This is such a tedious illogical fault. The only 2 ways charging should stop is either at the charger (possibly with the with app) or by releasing the charging cable.
MY21 EV400 2.1.0

Jelle v/d Meer

Post by Jelle v/d Meer » Mon May 10, 2021 8:16 am

SammyD wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:37 pm
Apparently this occurs only on Rapids >50kWHR.

I've seen this happen on several different makes of AC (7.5kWh) chargers including my old Pod-Point. This didn't happen when I first got the car but one or more of the software updates since has made it far more sensitive to any door opening.
Funny I have it the other way round and only if the car is locked - no issues at all if the car is unlocked when opening the doors.
When I am on a DC charger I can unlock and open the doors without problems - key being to press the button on the door handle and not the key fob to unlock the.
When I am charging at home, the charge is temporarily paused (usually within 1 minute it continues to charge) when I unlock it with the button and stopped if I unlock it with the key fob.
I-pace S + HUD + Drive Pack + Light Oyster Sport Seats + Tailgate I Ceasium Blue | 18" wheels
Infotainment 20C + Telematics 19.2 | ODO 71,149km | 2021 Efficiency 196watt/km

Mccall2693

Post by Mccall2693 » Tue May 11, 2021 10:03 pm

Thanks everyone. Thought I was going mad. Dealer said it might be a safety device as you really shouldn’t sit in the car while charging. Yeh right, service stations closed and rain pouring down and I’ve to stand outside for an hour lol. Appreciate all the comments and pointing me where to find more info.

Topdown

Post by Topdown » Wed May 12, 2021 8:40 am

Could be a safety thing that the charger cuts off as you open the door. If the charger / car had an earth fault as your foot touch the ground and your hand on the car you could get a shock.
HSE Yulong White
MY19 - 150 miles on the clock Oct-20
22” Wheels Style 50609 Carbon Inserts
All toys except HUD
Vehicle connectivity 19.2
Battery Control System BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE
Infotainment updated 30-Apr-21
S21A_21.10.6-67661

nis

Post by nis » Wed May 12, 2021 2:28 pm

We have noticed the same issue.
When we have a stop for charging, mostly one of the Ionity DC chargers, we sit quietly as mice in the car with the car door pulled too, not closed. After initialisation, and a few minutes into the charging we can open and close the car doors. The only thing we have to worry about is the fuzzy car alarm which does not recognise the car key when we are just outside the car and reports the car stolen. So we do not lock/unlock the car with the key fob while charging. That will surely stop the charging.
My wife says that is like living with me! You have to accept the funny habits!
By the way, I have a possible explanation to the door closing issue: last year, on one of the Ionity chargers in North Germany, the car refused to charge after initialisation. When we phoned the service number, the person asked which car we had and then asked me to lift the charging plug slightly up during initialising and during the first minutes. Obviously there was a known issue with plug/socket???
Since then we have used the mouse strategy during the early minutes of charging to avoid the plug/socket to move slamming the car doors and this has since then not failed!