MY20 tried to Kill me!

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar I-Pace
colshie58

MY20 tried to Kill me!

Post by colshie58 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:54 am

Here is a copy of the email I sent to JLR Customer Services:
Hello JLR Customer Services,
I took delivery of my new Jaguar I-Pace HSE on 10/07/2020 and was extremely pleased with my purchase.
On 26/08/2020 I had to book the car in to Farnell Leeds JLR service dept. for investigation into a charging issue when connecting to public DC Rapid Chargers. The fault I was experiencing was that the rapid chargers would not see that the vehicle was connected, so would not successfully complete the hand-shake with the vehicle, so continued to show “No Vehicle Connected”. This seemed to be the case at every Rapid DC charging point I tried except for the BP Charge Master ones, which all worked OK. After investigation, the Farnell technician found the battery charge control unit was 4 revisions of software out of date, so brought the software up to the latest version. Following the software update, the vehicle then charged at any charging point I tried over the next 2456 miles.
On Sunday morning 18/10/2020 I started my car and received a fault message on the driver dashboard display, informing me “Battery Backup Charge Status Fault. Press OK to Clear”. After pressing OK on the steering wheel, the message cleared and left a red triangle with an exclamation mark inside, on the right-hand side of the display. After driving for approx. 3-5 seconds, the fault indicator also cleared. Each time I restarted the car on that day, I received the same fault message, pressed OK and the fault indicator cleared after 3-5 seconds. On Monday 19/10/2020 I contacted Farnell Central Service, described the fault and I stated that the car still drove perfectly and charged up OK. I was told by the lady on the call, that it sounded like a software glitch/bug and she asked me if the car had had any software updates recently. I explained about the charging issues I had had previously, to which she replied that this could possibly explain the fault I was seeing. My vehicle was then booked in for the earliest appointment at Farnell Leeds JLR for further investigation, which was to be at 08:00 on Wednesday 21/10/2020. She also told me, that as the car showed no other faults and drove fine, I was OK to still drive the car and go to a meeting I had to attend in Stockport (some 94 miles round trip) on the Tuesday.
On Wednesday morning 21/10/2020 I started the car and received the same fault with the Battery Backup Charge Status, pressed OK and proceeded to drive the 19 miles to Farnell Leeds. As I proceeded down the M621 towards Leeds, I had numerous faults appear on the dashboard display, “Regenerative Braking System Fault, OK to proceed with caution” “Traction Control System Fault, OK to proceed with caution” “ABS System Fault, OK to proceed with caution” “Suspension System Fault, OK to proceed with caution”, etc. Then as I was nearing the M621 Junction 1 on ramp, in the outside lane (2nd lane), all of the displays on the car went blank! I attempted to brake and pull over into the inside lane (1st lane) as I was approaching the junction 2, that I needed to take to Farnell Leeds. I found the brake pedal was solid at the top of its travel, the power steering had completely failed and the car had dropped to the lowest point of the suspension; in other words, a total power/electrical failure (although the motors were still trying to push the vehicle along), all whilst still travelling at approx. 50 MPH. I had to use all of my strength to stand with both feet on the brake pedal and pull on the steering wheel with both hands as hard as I could to attempt to slow the vehicle and get off of the motorway onto the junction slip road. I eventually got the car over on to the slip road and as I was about to crash into the vehicles already on the slip road, they started to pull away, as the traffic lights at the roundabout at the bottom of the junction had turned green. I eventually got the car to stop 3rd in the queue at the traffic lights which were now red. As the lights turned to green again and the vehicles in front of me pulled away, I pressed lightly on the accelerator and found that the brakes had locked on on the car, but as the motors are so powerful, I managed to get the vehicle into the left-hand side of the approach to the roundabout, turn on the hazard warning indicators and pressed the Stop button.
This was an extremely harrowing experience!!! I was severely shook up by the incident, still shaking when the AA recovery service dropped me and my car off at Farnell Leeds, and I am still not sleeping more than a few hours each night! I am an extremely experienced driver, driving between 30,000 to 45,000 miles a year, for the past 30 years. I have had front tyre blow-outs, etc. and been the recipient of several accidents over the years, none of which have been my fault. One of them claiming the life of 2 women, when their vehicle ran into the vehicle behind mine, causing severe damage to mine and several others. None of these accidents have caused me so much distress as this incident, Losing Total Control of my I-Pace on a motorway. I have had several powerful cars over the years and driven several Track Experience days and would hate to think what would have happened if this had happened to say my wife, or someone less experienced, or even say someone on the Autobahn in Germany travelling at over 100 MPH!!
I was informed by the Farnell service team, following their investigation into the faults with my car, that the Dual Battery Control Module & Actuator had failed, causing the 12v battery and backup 12v battery not to be recharged and also the 12v electrical supply to all of the vehicle controls, to be switched over to the backup 12v battery, which eventually ran out of charge (whilst I was driving on a motorway), causing everything to fail.
I am not interested in seeking compensation for this incident and would not want this to get out to the internet or press. What I would like to know, is how many times this fault has occurred previously, for Farnell to stock the necessary parts on the shelf? What I would also ask, is that the I-Pace (and any other JLR vehicles that could be affected by this fault), have the software changed, so that when this fault first occurs, the driver is NOT just informed there is a “Battery Backup Charge Status Fault” which carries no significant warning and then asked to “Press OK to clear”. That they are informed immediately that “A Major Fault Has Occurred” “Please Stop This Vehicle Immediately and Safely” “Press the Stop Button and contact Jaguar Support by pressing the SOS button”. The vehicle should then be automatically fully disabled and prevented from being restarted until the fault has been rectified. I cannot stress enough, that this fault could be a KILLER!!!
MY20 Yulong white HSE, 20" wheels, panoramic glass roof, ebony roof lining, Mars red leather performance seats, looks amazing :P

Peter34698

Re: MY20 tried to Kill me!

Post by Peter34698 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:46 pm

That is truly scary,glad you were able to avoid a crash. Please update the forum on JLR response.

colshie58

Post by colshie58 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:14 pm

JLR responded to me a couple of days later, saying thank you for my email and my comments regarding the warning messages, they would pass it on to Technical and get back in touch. I have not had any further response from JLR, hence why I thought I should share it.
MY20 Yulong white HSE, 20" wheels, panoramic glass roof, ebony roof lining, Mars red leather performance seats, looks amazing :P

Cineman

Post by Cineman » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:40 pm

Thank you Colshie58 for you mind-boggling post. It's amazing to me that Jaguar respond with a kind of - ya, we'll look into it! I am doing some low-tech research on the amount that the 12v system drops each day whilst the car is idle, as it seems that many issue that are reported in this forum come down to a 12v system that has gone flat because of idle use, or because (as in your case) a fault with the inverter that charges the 12v batts. Some forum members have resorted to a cheap cigar lighter voltmeter to keep an eye on the level of charge which is what I have done. Remember the days where a car had a voltmeter on the dashboard - in the flight to high tech some simple things get forgotten. Plainly Jaguar need to take notice and give proper warning as you so rightly suggest when the 12v system is failing and, even better, give us - the drivers - the courtesy of a readout of both 12 batts - or (I believe) in the MY21 model just the one. All the faults you describe happen with a low 12v system plus the "handbrake locked" situation documented elsewhere on the forum. All those warnings could be combined into one "12v System critically low -DO NOT DRIVE" which would make a lot more sense. It's very civilised of you not to publicise this beyond this forum which should by duly noted by Jaguar.. a less understanding person might have reacted very differently!
MY19 HSE, purchased s/h Nov 2020, Red, Active Air Suspension, Adaptive Dynamics, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, 20” wheels changed to 18”. TCU 18.2.

Vandy2020

Post by Vandy2020 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:02 pm

This sounds scary. Your dealer was negligent with their advice. To be fair, the brake boost and power steering would also fail in modern ICE vehicles with a dead 12V battery and alternator. The difference is that you would usually be precluded from starting an ICE vehicle with a low battery, whereas an EV has the ability to draw locomotive energy from the traction battery. Plus, one would assume that there was enough energy to power vehicle systms if the traction battery was charged. I think of myself as an informed tech consumer, but I wasn't aware that there were separate 12v and traction batteries well after I bought my I-Pace

The I-Pace should be sophisticated enough to limit use in this scenario. Although I'm not sure the "low battery" warning in ICE cars would be any less cryptic, the implications of proceeding with a dead backup battery should at least be detailed in the alert.

Although the Polestar 2 and ID3 had similar battery fault issues, this has been a known I-Pace problem for over a year and should have been corrected by now.
2019 HSE | Purchased May 2020 | Santorini Black | Ebony Interior | Air Suspension with Adaptive Dynamics | HUD |Cold Weather Package

Delta5

Post by Delta5 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:12 am

There have been a few runaways in ICE cars, including Jaguar, the driver was unable to switch the car off because there was no mechanical cut off as an ignition key would be. I haven’t heard of any fatalities in the UK, maybe in the US, not sure
IPace SE Caesium Blue, Ivory interior, Air suspension, 18in wheels, Drivers pack, 360. arrived 16th July, very nice.

Maxwell_400

Post by Maxwell_400 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:03 am

Glad you are safe, this is reported many times over. I f you get the message “ABS System Fault, OK to proceed with caution” do not drive, the brakes may not work.
I-Pace SE++, MY20, 18" summer & winter, no panoroof, towbar, spare wheel, 20C, TCU 19.2, BECS: BP-AAE-BC-AC-BE