Theft Warning EV320

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar I-Pace
legacyweaver

Theft Warning EV320

Post by legacyweaver » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:22 pm

Since I got the EV320 on the 2nd of December I've had problems with the theft warning engaging randomly, resulting in either Jaguar sending an sms or calling me to verify that the car is in fact not stolen. This happens just about daily. I usually park the car in a garage (where I have a good cellphone signal) or outside. It doesn't seem to really matter where I park the car, the theft warning is engaged and this locks all the functions in the Jaguar Remote app, making it useless. I could be driving the car in the middle of a city and Jaguar sends an sms saying that the car may be stolen. Anyway, I'm booked on the 4th of January at my dealer to try and fix this issue (been there earlier this month already, I believe they updated the TCM but this did not fix it).

Has anyone had any similar problems with the EV400 or recently on the EV320?

MyCat

Re: Theft Warning EV320

Post by MyCat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:05 am

Hi legacyweaver, just checking what the outcome was at the dealer and has it been resolved? I now seem to have a similar issue over the past 36 hours - 2 theft notifications/calls and locked out of the app!
MY21. SE Fuji white, Black pack, 5068 black alloys, panoramic roof.

Mattholluk

Post by Mattholluk » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:46 pm

I'm also having this exact problem. Car is booked in to have it checked in a couple of weeks time at the dealers. I get a call from the Jaguar every other day and am now on first name terms with some of the operators.

I don't think these things are linked however it started on the day after I received the 20C update OTA and has been consistent ever since. Never happened before.
I-Pace SE 2019 Corris Grey, Pano, 20' BLACK, Winter Pack, Adap cruise.

MyCat

Post by MyCat » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:22 pm

I had the update to 2.0.6 P8C1 on 8th January and my problem started on a regular basis from 12th January. I have been locked out of any of the usual In Control app functions for the past 72 hours, with the Theft Alert screen showing and to contact the tracking centre. The tracking centre operatives have tried to 'stand down' the alert but the app never registers any change. As per one of the operators, a manual request was made by the tracking centre to the app developer (at JLR I assume) to stand down the alert but no change in the status as yet. This may be because they still get constant potential theft notifications from the car!

The car is booked in at the dealership also in a few weeks time (Covid!!). Just another example of poor software?

legacyweaver

Post by legacyweaver » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:10 pm

Hi all :). It seems to be some kind of problem with the GSM antenna, I believe that's what they call it. My dealer ordered a new component to the antenna (which they say is giving them errors). I'm returning the car tomorrow and hopefully by replacing the component it will fix the problem permanently. I'll let you guys know how it goes!

legacyweaver

Post by legacyweaver » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:10 pm

There's still an error after changing the component :(. The dealer is still debugging/trying to find the root cause.

MyCat

Post by MyCat » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:33 pm

Sorry to hear that the problem is not resolved. My car is due to go in in about 3 weeks time. The helpful guys at the Theft alert centre said it is the wheel arch sensor that keeps on initiating the false alert. I was asked whether I had used a high pressure washer which has been known to cause sensor faults (to which the answer is no).

legacyweaver

Post by legacyweaver » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:06 am

MyCat wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:33 pm
Sorry to hear that the problem is not resolved. My car is due to go in in about 3 weeks time. The helpful guys at the Theft alert centre said it is the wheel arch sensor that keeps on initiating the false alert. I was asked whether I had used a high pressure washer which has been known to cause sensor faults (to which the answer is no).
Thanks, I'm happy with the car otherwise so it's unfortunate.

I see, it's good that they've narrowed down the issue on your car with a logical explanation ;).

I've had this problem ever since I left the dealer on the 2nd of December. Got the first theft message the same evening I drove it from them :lol:. Hopefully they'll be able to fix it, but I'm starting to look at legal options in case they are unable to.

There are some clear rules regarding new cars in Norway and new car warranty. If a dealer is unable to fix a specific problem with a car after two attempts, I can be eligible for 1) a refund, 2) compensation for reduced value of the car due to said error, 3) a new car or 4) have them continue to try and fix the problem. Since I can't use any of the remote mobile functions for the car I'm inclined to think it's a pretty big missing feature of the car and that it can warrant a new I-pace, although they'll probably try and fix it a few times more before that. I don't want to go down that route, but we'll see what they suggest if they can't fix it...

MyCat

Post by MyCat » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:26 pm

legacyweaver wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:06 am
MyCat wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:33 pm
Thanks, I'm happy with the car otherwise so it's unfortunate.

I see, it's good that they've narrowed down the issue on your car with a logical explanation ;).

I've had this problem ever since I left the dealer on the 2nd of December. Got the first theft message the same evening I drove it from them :lol:. Hopefully they'll be able to fix it, but I'm starting to look at legal options in case they are unable to.

There are some clear rules regarding new cars in Norway and new car warranty. If a dealer is unable to fix a specific problem with a car after two attempts, I can be eligible for 1) a refund, 2) compensation for reduced value of the car due to said error, 3) a new car or 4) have them continue to try and fix the problem. Since I can't use any of the remote mobile functions for the car I'm inclined to think it's a pretty big missing feature of the car and that it can warrant a new I-pace, although they'll probably try and fix it a few times more before that. I don't want to go down that route, but we'll see what they suggest if they can't fix it...
An update on my situation - the Jaguar Remote app updated a few days ago and suddenly, all the theft notifications disappeared! I have waited to see if the alerts reappeared but none so far. This morning I tried using the remote function for preheating the cabin and it all seems to be working properly (for now).
At the time that the app updated, I was also logged out of my profile in the car itself. I am finding it increasingly tedious to have to constantly log back in and set up my profile again and again! I am now inclined to just set up my preferences in the car manually and forget about 'connectivity profiles'.

It seems as though it is (another :evil: ) software bug that brought on the problem but I will still take the car in for investigation of the sensors that supposedly caused the alerts.

legacyweaver, has your app updated as yet and any change in your situation?

legacyweaver

Post by legacyweaver » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:34 pm

MyCat: Aha, I see. I'm speculating that this is more of a software issue, either with the car or centrally at JLR, rather than a hardware issue. But we'll see :).

Unfortunately no new updates. No new updates of the car in the Incontrol App, but I haven't gotten any theft warnings from JLR so that's good. I assume this is because it's in service mode or something similar.

I've gotten a replacement car for the time being, another EV320. I noticed in the replacement car that it has the newest software update from the 8th of January, the OS 2.0.6 P8C1. Does your car have this update? In my car I haven't got a request to update even though it came out 13 days ago. I'm wondering if that could somehow be connected to my problems, i.e that the car is not receiving software updates. Again, speculation on my part, but I've asked the dealer to take a look at this and see if they can upgrade the software while it's there. Right now it seems the dealer is trying remove the car completely from my profile and adding it again.

I'll let you know of any updates!