Tesla destination chargers

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar I-Pace
nis

Tesla destination chargers

Post by nis » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:46 pm

Have any of the i-pace owners had succes with using a Tesla destination charger (seen at some hotels in Germany)?

keesipace

Re: Tesla destination chargers

Post by keesipace » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:30 pm

Yes they work if they have a greyish sign hangin on top saying Electric Vehicles. Usually that is only the case if there are more than one installed at this particular destination. The ones with a RED sign saying Tesla Vehicles will not work for non-Tesla brands. But check beforehand at your hotel to avoid disappointment. In Germany fat chance it will only give you 3.7kW one phase....due to legislation to avoid too much difference between the phases "Schieflastgesetz" you will not get 7.4. In August I used one in Switzerland and there this was fine and gave 8% of battery capacity per hour so 7.4kW per hour.

nis

Post by nis » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:30 pm

Thanks for the info. 3.7KW is still ok for a good nights sleep. I will certainly check the option next time we stay overnight on the long trips!

mclarenpaul

Post by mclarenpaul » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:53 pm

As mentioned, if it’s the grey sign they work. Otherwise red signs they’re only for Tesla. Honestly , Tesla have this nailed. Can you imagine Jaguar or any other manufacturer having their own Jaguar, or other brand destination chargers?
Previous iPace FE Owner. Now Tesla Model 3 LR AWD.

shadwellal

Post by shadwellal » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:27 pm

Does anyone know the answer to this in the UK? I hope to be staying in a hotel shortly with a tethered Tesla destination charger, and not sure whether or not it will work with the I-pace.
I-pace SE, Caesium Blue. MY 2020 :D

ianipace

Post by ianipace » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:25 am

shadwellal wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:27 pm
Does anyone know the answer to this in the UK? I hope to be staying in a hotel shortly with a tethered Tesla destination charger, and not sure whether or not it will work with the I-pace.
I would get the hotel to take a photo of it and send it to you, then decide for yourself if it is red or grey!

If it is red, then no chance! Grey and there is a good chance it will work!

I have the same problem, when I am allowed to go, at a hotel I stay at outside Barcelona. There is a Tesla destination charger there and for the life of me I can't remember what colour it is!! I stayed there when I had a fossil fuel Evoque and it wasn't a concern.
A quick check with the Google man and I can see this.

Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 11.23.07.png

So I 'should' be covered!

At least Spain has a few more charging points than France!!

Stay safe

Ian
MY2019 SE in Caesium Blue. Panoramic roof and Gloss Black 18" wheels. Ohme Smart charger.

EEV320

Post by EEV320 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:34 am

To be honest, in normal times chances will be high it’s gonna be occupied anyways as you can’t book it or smth.
I used one of these in Munich and it delivered 11kw. The start was rough tho. I had to unplug and reset the charging station. There is a reset button on the station. In case of Problems, hold it until it starts blinking.
I heard of a guy that was able to open the housing and make the Tesla only charger work for his car as it seems to be the same charger with different setting.
I don’t know if it’s true and I wouldn’t want to fiddle with the box.
There are adapters available that make it work as well. But I never tried one. I never needed this.
EV320SE MY2021
German spec.
Eiger grey, black pack, drivers assistance pack, WiFi hotspot
Software 2.0.8a P3AX

TryLean

Post by TryLean » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:42 pm

shadwellal wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:27 pm
The UK free ones are white rather than grey. They usually are installed in a ration of 1:3 white to red where multiple chargers have been installed.

shadwellal

Post by shadwellal » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:49 pm

Thanks all for your replies. The hotel also has a Zeronet type 2 charger, so as long as one of them is free I should be OK. So the white Tesla one just works exactly as a normal charger - no need for any adapters?
I-pace SE, Caesium Blue. MY 2020 :D

Volkswarren

Post by Volkswarren » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:50 pm

No adaptor required.
HSE, Caesium Blue, 22" 5056 Alloys, Oyster Leather, Active Air Suspension, Cold Pack, Black Pack, Privacy glass and Pano roof. Podpoint Homecharger. Telematics: 19.2 | InControl: S20C1. https://share.octopus.energy/sunny-moth-32