Main display black, climate control screen and rotary dials black

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar I-Pace
User avatar
Johnsoncp
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:24 pm
Location: Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom

Main display black, climate control screen and rotary dials black

Post by Johnsoncp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:39 pm

Hi,

My iPace is exactly one week old and was working perfectly yesterday but I noticed last night that the app was no longer able to talk to the car.

I went out to check it today and both the main screen and the smaller screen underneath are black. The dash is working perfectly. The car is driving perfectly and everything that doesn't use these screens is working.

The lower screen is working in as much as if I press it in the middle the climate system switches on. The rotary dials that control the temperature are also black.

I have tried switching on and off a few times, been for a small drive but nothing seems to wake up the screens.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix it? I visited the dealer but they were closing up for the week. I phoned Jaguar assist but they said the car hasn't broken down so won't come out.

Thanks in advance, Chris

Fluff
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu May 21, 2020 9:26 pm
Location: UK

Re: Main display black, climate control screen and rotary dials black

Post by Fluff » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:12 pm

It happens, seems to be triggered by selecting drive before the system is up. Mine did it 2 weeks ago, seemed to reboot after 15 mins or so. Seems on previous sw it didn’t reboot. So may need to check sw versions, of course need the screen to do that....
I-Pace SE 2019[Everything BLACK] Santorini,Pano, 20' BLACK,winter pack, adap cruise.

User avatar
Johnsoncp
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:24 pm
Location: Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom

Re: Main display black, climate control screen and rotary dials black

Post by Johnsoncp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:16 pm

Fluff wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:12 pm
It happens, seems to be triggered by selecting drive before the system is up. Mine did it 2 weeks ago, seemed to reboot after 15 mins or so. Seems on previous sw it didn’t reboot. So may need to check sw versions, of course need the screen to do that....
Thanks. A bit of Googling has identified this as the Black Screen Of Death. The car has only done 70 miles and is one week old. Doesn't look good for the future does it?

Fluff
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu May 21, 2020 9:26 pm
Location: UK

Re: Main display black, climate control screen and rotary dials black

Post by Fluff » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:18 pm

It was a worrying moment for me too. Was very thankful when they came up.....hope yours do.
I-Pace SE 2019[Everything BLACK] Santorini,Pano, 20' BLACK,winter pack, adap cruise.

User avatar
Johnsoncp
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:24 pm
Location: Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom

Re: Main display black, climate control screen and rotary dials black

Post by Johnsoncp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:56 pm

Fluff wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:18 pm
It was a worrying moment for me too. Was very thankful when they came up.....hope yours do.
I’m pretty sure mine is completely broken now until the dealer does something. It needs a CTL ALT DEL if people remember Windows blue screen.

As I’ve just bought it and the dealer had it in stock I expect it’s been sitting around from before lockdown so it probably has an older SW version. The dealer doesn’t inspire me with much confidence. Friendly salesmen but not confident about service. On the day they were servicing my FType I bought the iPace. They forgot to update the online service history for my FType and forgot to upload the PDI information for the iPace. Perhaps it didn’t have a PDI. I’ll harass them and update the post if and when it’s fixed.

ChrisMc
Posts: 1238
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:51 pm
Location: North West

Re: Main display black, climate control screen and rotary dials black

Post by ChrisMc » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:17 pm

Johnsoncp wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:39 pm
Hi,

My iPace is exactly one week old and was working perfectly yesterday but I noticed last night that the app was no longer able to talk to the car.

I went out to check it today and both the main screen and the smaller screen underneath are black. The dash is working perfectly. The car is driving perfectly and everything that doesn't use these screens is working.

The lower screen is working in as much as if I press it in the middle the climate system switches on. The rotary dials that control the temperature are also black.

I have tried switching on and off a few times, been for a small drive but nothing seems to wake up the screens.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix it? I visited the dealer but they were closing up for the week. I phoned Jaguar assist but they said the car hasn't broken down so won't come out.

Thanks in advance, Chris
.

This was a common fault a year or more ago, most of us had it early days, not sure if its the same problem as back then, but haven't heard of anyone having it for a while now, maybe new cars are getting it again, if its the same problem its an easy fix, a software update sorts it. Call Jaguar Assist again, hopefully you will speak to another rep, get them to come out and fix it. I had the same problem as you with them, when I called back I spoke to another person and they had someone out to me within the hour, 90 minutes later everything was updated and have never had the problem since.
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 Black, full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc
InControlTouch Pro: S20A_20.16.5-536345 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 - H228, H264, H270

User avatar
Koala
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:40 pm
Location: Germany - Bavaria

Re: Main display black, climate control screen and rotary dials black

Post by Koala » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:32 pm

Also had this black screen fault more than a year ago while the car was still on Telematics 14.2.
This has been fixed with Telematics 16.2 and newer. Unfortunately this can only be updated by a dealer. Latest version is Telematics 18.2 to my knowledge.
EV400 S, MY2019, Firenze Red, Light Oyster Interieur, Acitve Air suspension, 18" Diamond turned Wheels.
Infotainment-Software: S20B1_20.30.2-578440| Telematics: 17.2 | 44.000 KM of happy I-Pace driving since March 14th, 2019

ChrisMc
Posts: 1238
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:51 pm
Location: North West

Re: Main display black, climate control screen and rotary dials black

Post by ChrisMc » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:35 pm

Koala wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:32 pm
Also had this black screen fault more than a year ago while the car was still on Telematics 14.2.
This has been fixed with Telematics 16.2 and newer. Unfortunately this can only be updated by a dealer. Latest version is Telematics 18.2 to my knowledge.
Yep that is correct as far as I can recall. There is only one person on here that I am aware of that has been on 14.2 since the start who has not had the problem with it ADD. But I would guess new cars being released now must be on 18.2 or better?
MY20 - I Pace HSE EV400 Black, full black pack, Mars Red Windsor leather sports seats, gloss black 20” wheels etc
InControlTouch Pro: S20A_20.16.5-536345 Telematics: Was 14.2 Now 16.2 - H228, H264, H270

User avatar
Johnsoncp
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:24 pm
Location: Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom

Re: Main display black, climate control screen and rotary dials black

Post by Johnsoncp » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:52 pm

Great. Thank you all. I’ll try Jag assist again and let you know.

Update: tried them again and they are visiting tomorrow. More updates after the visit.

ardevd
Posts: 1100
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:30 am
Location: Norway

Re: Main display black, climate control screen and rotary dials black

Post by ardevd » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:10 pm

Had the same issue with mine the day after I picked up the car last year. Was fixed with a TCU update.
Control your I-Pace with jlrpy or WattCat for Android| I-PACE HSE Ebny Prem Txt MY2019.

Telematics: 18.2 | InControl: S20B_20.27.3-568398

Post Reply