Rattling noise from the bonnet

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar I-Pace
jagrobbo100
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:43 pm
Location: uk

Re: Rattling noise from the bonnet

Post by jagrobbo100 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:46 pm

:D


User avatar
anorak
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:56 pm
Location: Cambs. UK

Re: Rattling noise from the bonnet

Post by anorak » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:48 pm

Just noticed mine now makes a humming noise at speeds above about 65mph, not really a rattle, more like I'm being chased by a drone.

It's only done it since returning from the dealers having had the front EPIC replaced (which would have involved the removal of the front storage compartment) so I guess I know what to tell them to check when I take it back to them!

Thanks jagrobbo100. :)
I Pace EV400 S, Caesium blue, Oyster leather, 18" wheels
MY19, delivered 01/2019
IMC: S19B_19.40.4-436082 || Telematics: 17.2
Now on its 2nd front EPIC


User avatar
ELray
Posts: 436
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:02 am
Location: Norway

Re: Rattling noise from the bonnet

Post by ELray » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:24 pm

anorak wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:48 pm
Just noticed mine now makes a humming noise at speeds above about 65mph, not really a rattle, more like I'm being chased by a drone.

It's only done it since returning from the dealers having had the front EPIC replaced (which would have involved the removal of the front storage compartment) so I guess I know what to tell them to check when I take it back to them!

Thanks jagrobbo100. :)
I had a humming noise when the car was in park mode, I could even feel the vibration from the strange humming noise. The car did however work apparently fine when I put it in drive, and the sound went away.
🇳🇴 Norway
:arrow: I-Pace S Edition X590 (19MY)
:arrow: Build date: 1 Feb 2019 | Delivered: 15 March 2019
⚙️ Telematics: 16.2
⚙️ InControl(updOTA:13.12.19): 19C_19.46.4-458817
⚙️ Maps(upd:30.11.19): 08.030.0102.0152


*****
Posts: 1904
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:46 pm
Location: Forest of Dean. UK.

Re: Rattling noise from the bonnet

Post by ***** » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:57 pm

anorak wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:48 pm
Just noticed mine now makes a humming noise at speeds above about 65mph, not really a rattle, more like I'm being chased by a drone.

It's only done it since returning from the dealers having had the front EPIC replaced (which would have involved the removal of the front storage compartment) so I guess I know what to tell them to check when I take it back to them!

Thanks jagrobbo100. :)
Check that the wind deflectors in front of the rear wheels have not come adrift. I know it's not the froot, but it does produce a similar noise when it rubs the tyres.


User avatar
anorak
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:56 pm
Location: Cambs. UK

Re: Rattling noise from the bonnet

Post by anorak » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:22 pm

Thanks gents.

It definitely doesn't make any noise when in park and it sounds like the droning is coming from the front of the car at speed. It's fairly subtle but I know it's there now and wasn't before the front end was dismantled and reassembled. I will check the wind deflectors in case though.
I Pace EV400 S, Caesium blue, Oyster leather, 18" wheels
MY19, delivered 01/2019
IMC: S19B_19.40.4-436082 || Telematics: 17.2
Now on its 2nd front EPIC


User avatar
anorak
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:56 pm
Location: Cambs. UK

Re: Rattling noise from the bonnet

Post by anorak » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:15 pm

Well I had a look and there seems to be a large gap of about 15mm between the top of the grille panel and the folded trim that sits in front of the storage tray.

This folded upstand trim has a rubber lip seal along its front edge that is just sitting in mid air. I'm assuming this should either be on top of or slid onto the back edge of the grille panel. It looks like the seal in Alexx's earlier photo that is on top of the grille.

The first photo shows the gap (looking forwards from the storage tray). The second is a close up where you can see the back of the Jaguar badge through this gap.

Do I need to be sending these images to my dealer and booking in for rectification? It looks like it could definitely be a cause of resonance noise at speed to me.

Appreciate any help :) ;

20191110_114316.jpg

20191110_114337.jpg

I Pace EV400 S, Caesium blue, Oyster leather, 18" wheels
MY19, delivered 01/2019
IMC: S19B_19.40.4-436082 || Telematics: 17.2
Now on its 2nd front EPIC


jagrobbo100
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:43 pm
Location: uk

Re: Rattling noise from the bonnet

Post by jagrobbo100 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:32 pm

If the lip edge of the stowage compartment is under the bumper trim, it sounds right, when it not it's more like a flapping noise than a drone.
Can u attach a sound file, ask Ur passenger to do it to keep legal


Alexx
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:40 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Rattling noise from the bonnet

Post by Alexx » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:15 am

You can easily feel by hand at the air intake between bonnet and grill. I made a cross check with an I-Pace at the show room.
(The front panel must be above the rear panel)

I was driving several 100kms in heavy rain with the incorrect assembled panels. Now I wonder if there can be some water at places where it shouldn’t be? Dealer said no, but I lost my confidence. What is beneathe those panels?
I Pace S, MY19, Narvik Black, 18" Wheels, Active Air, AdSR, powered tail gate, S19B_19.35.4-418001


Ingenioren
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:57 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Rattling noise from the bonnet

Post by Ingenioren » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:55 am

Alexx wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:15 am
You can easily feel by hand at the air intake between bonnet and grill. I made a cross check with an I-Pace at the show room.
(The front panel must be above the rear panel)

I was driving several 100kms in heavy rain with the incorrect assembled panels. Now I wonder if there can be some water at places where it shouldn’t be? Dealer said no, but I lost my confidence. What is beneathe those panels?
Hoses, pipes, sealed cables and other things that is design to take wind, a bit of water and a rough environment. Nothing to worry about !


Alexx
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:40 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Rattling noise from the bonnet

Post by Alexx » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:13 am

Ingenioren wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:55 am
Alexx wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:15 am
You can easily feel by hand at the air intake between bonnet and grill. I made a cross check with an I-Pace at the show room.
(The front panel must be above the rear panel)

I was driving several 100kms in heavy rain with the incorrect assembled panels. Now I wonder if there can be some water at places where it shouldn’t be? Dealer said no, but I lost my confidence. What is beneathe those panels?
Hoses, pipes, sealed cables and other things that is design to take wind, a bit of water and a rough environment. Nothing to worry about !
Thank you Ingenioren!
I Pace S, MY19, Narvik Black, 18" Wheels, Active Air, AdSR, powered tail gate, S19B_19.35.4-418001


Post Reply

Return to “Faults & Technical”