Matrix Headlights ADB saga - GOOD NEWS

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar I-Pace
Terry60

Matrix Headlights ADB saga - GOOD NEWS

Post by Terry60 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:13 am

Just had a phone call from the dealer.
JLR, aided I believe by input from this forum, have deduced the cause of the problem.
A lot of acronyms were flying about, so forgive me if I conflate bits of them, but the gist is -

Sometime in Spring a coding change to the Build Configuration File accidentally omitted the fact that the HSE has ADB as standard.
All subsequently built HSEs have had their ECUs programmed without the knowledge that ADB was onboard.
This explains why the cars passed factory QC and were "OK" on dealers' OBD diagnostics, neither bothering to check the functionality of something that "wasn't there".

Good news is, JLR are coding up the necessary update to the BCF and wiring it to my dealer (hopefully sometime today) and they will be reprogramming the car via the OBD.

JLR will be issuing a recall for all HSEs built since the start of the problem, so expect a message from your dealer soon.

Enjoy your night motoring !

P.S.
If any of you are driving SE or S models with optioned ADB which doesn't work, you might not be caught by the recall, so make sure your dealer is aware that the problem also applies to you.
I can't remember if any of the afflicted respondents were not HSE, it's not a detail I asked for, but if there are none and ADB SEs are working, I'm astonished that none of them popped up as greens in the middle of our red block.
Last edited by Terry60 on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ex A3 e-tron (138mpg over 4 years)
Now in Black HSE (every tech option, no bling) MY20 VIN 829.. IC S19B_19.35 Tele 16.2 Maps 100.153
Awaiting PV, Powerwall, Zappi.
Looking forward to free motoring. (barring the cost of all the kit !)

fa147

Re: Matrix Headlights ADB saga - GOOD NEWS!

Post by fa147 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:24 am

Terry60 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:13 am
Just had a phone call from the dealer.
JLR, aided I believe by input from this forum, have deduced the cause of the problem.
A lot of acronyms were flying about, so forgive me if I conflate bits of them, but the gist is -

Sometime in Spring a coding change to the Build Configuration File accidentally omitted the fact that the HSE has ADB as standard.
All subsequently built HSEs have had their ECUs programmed without the knowledge that ADB was onboard.
This explains why the cars passed factory QC and were "OK" on dealers' OBD diagnostics, neither bothering to check the functionality of something that "wasn't there".

Good news is, JLR are coding up the necessary update to the BCF and wiring it to my dealer (hopefully sometime today) and they will be reprogramming the car via the OBD.

JLR will be issuing a recall for all HSEs built since the start of the problem, so expect a message from your dealer soon.

Enjoy your night motoring !

P.S.
If any of you are driving SE or S models with optioned ADB which doesn't work, you might not be caught by the recall, so make sure your dealer is aware that the problem also applies to you.
I can't remember if any of the afflicted respondents were not HSE, it's not a detail I asked for, but if there are none and ADB SEs are working, I'm astonished that none of them popped up as greens in the middle of our red block.
This is AMAZING Terry60 and down to all the information you have gathered through lots of time on the forum.

We all have you to thank for all the hard work and getting that information back to JLR. :D :P

I bet they were (pleasantly) surprised at the level of information in your findings and that this forum is capable of this level of collective information gathering.
I-Pace MY20 HSE, Corris Grey, Ebony/Ebony Interior, 20” Grey & Diamond Turned, Panoramic Roof
IMC: S19B_19.40.4-436082 | Telematics: 16.2 | Map 8.30.100.156

NightFox

Post by NightFox » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:03 pm

Great news - though it seems odd that if the cars weren't coded for ADB, the option still appears on the dash. Maybe it's slightly more involved than that and it was sort of enabled in one system but not in another.

Now let's just hope that JLR are quick to roll this out!

Terry60

Post by Terry60 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:35 pm

NightFox wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:03 pm
Great news - though it seems odd that if the cars weren't coded for ADB, the option still appears on the dash. Maybe it's slightly more involved than that and it was sort of enabled in one system but not in another.

Now let's just hope that JLR are quick to roll this out!
Most likely.
he read me quite a long email between the dealer and JLR engineers forwarded to him, so hard to recall every detail, but I think (from my own IT troubleshooting career experience), that it's probably down to a single bit flag somewhere that someone forgot to set, having done everything else correctly.
Hence the appearance of normal functionality, but not the actual function.
Ex A3 e-tron (138mpg over 4 years)
Now in Black HSE (every tech option, no bling) MY20 VIN 829.. IC S19B_19.35 Tele 16.2 Maps 100.153
Awaiting PV, Powerwall, Zappi.
Looking forward to free motoring. (barring the cost of all the kit !)

Orpington_Shark

Post by Orpington_Shark » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:07 pm

Great work Terry - it’s amazing that something like this can slip through quality control, and that’s it’s taken all this badgering to make progress. I think we all owe you a beer!!!
HSE Firenze Red, MY20

Billy Bunter

Post by Billy Bunter » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:08 pm

Most probably the owners with SE or S build cars will be OK, since their SW should have been specifically updated according to the option (I read from your post that it’s a problem with the build of the DEFAULT HSE software).

We’ll see... we’ll done Terry.
SE, Firenze Red, Black Pack & Black 20” wheels, Air Suspention, HUD, ACC, DAB+

catoha

Post by catoha » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:35 pm

I have a S model with optional matrix led and am also affected.
But this should make it easier to explain to the car dealer.

Anyways, great job Terry!

ELray

Post by ELray » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:52 pm

Great work Terry60. Your doing us and Jaguar a huge favor. Thanx for the time you donated with your work.
👍🏻👍🏻😄😄👍🏻👍🏻
🇳🇴 Norway
:arrow: I-Pace S Edition X590 (19MY)
:arrow: Build date: 1 Feb 2019 | Delivered: 15 March 2019
⚙️ Telematics: 16.2
⚙️ InControl(updOTA:19.10.22): S19B_19.40.4-436082
⚙️ Maps(upd:19.11.30): 08.030.0102.0152

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:09 pm

Awesome work Terry! Shows what a bit of effort, dedication and patience can get you in life. Well done!

Pastatrain

Post by Pastatrain » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:16 am

Great news. Thanx for your hard work terry.
i-Pace HSE, corris grey, MY 20

Return to “Faults & Technical”