Matrix Headlights (Adaptive Driving Beam) don't seem to be working

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar I-Pace
thorfun

Matrix Headlights (Adaptive Driving Beam) don't seem to be working

Post by thorfun » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:52 pm

hi all,
I can't seem to get my Matrix headlights to work. More specifically, the Adaptive driving beam part of them.
I have the headlights set to auto on the stalk and I have enabled ADB in the Vehicle settings -> Exterior lights menu in the instrument display but when I'm on a country road in the dark the headlights just stay on the dipped beam. :?

if I push the headlight stalk forward for more than 1 sec then I just get high beam, it doesn't dip or turn off any of the LEDs and I have to manually dip the high beam. I'm really confused. in my previous car ( Panamera) the matrix LEDs just worked. you put the headlights in auto and then when you pushed the stalk forward the high beam came on and the matrix LEDs dimmed as expected around other cars and I also got indication on the display that the headlights were in "auto" mode.

But on the I-Pace there's no indication on the instrument display that they're set to auto nor that ADB is enabled and working.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a fault?

the auto high beam assist (AHBA) works ok if set in the exterior lights menu and I get the high beam light with the auto under it in the instrument display. but I can't get the ADB to work!

Can someone with ADB let me know what steps they take to get them working please? I'm going to speak to the dealer tomorrow but I wanted to make sure I'm not being an idiot before I do.

thanks in advance.
Corris Grey HSE with some extra stuff chosen.

Volkswarren

Re: Matrix Headlights (Adaptive Driving Beam) don't seem to be working

Post by Volkswarren » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:23 pm

Mine weren’t working but they were disabled in the menu. Try disabling yours then reneabling them. This was only standard on the hse though unless you specced it.
HSE, Caesium Blue, 22" 5056 Alloys, Oyster Leather, Active Air Suspension, Cold Pack, Black Pack, Privacy glass and Pano roof. Podpoint Homecharger. Telematics: 16.2 | InControl: S19B_19.40.4-436082

mclarenpaul

Post by mclarenpaul » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:43 pm

It shows as Auto on the dashboard. Although they need to be active (i.e. dark enough outside) for them to show as Auto. As per Volkswarren's comment, are you sure they're specced on your car?
I Pace EV400 FE, Corris Grey, options: Oyster leather, 20' wheels, MY19, delivered 12/2018
InControl: S19B|| Telematics: Version 16.2

thorfun

Post by thorfun » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:52 pm

Hi guys. thanks for the responses. I have an HSE I-Pace so the matrix lights are standard on that. I have the option selected in the menu. I have even, while driving at night, selected AHBA and the auto headlight symbol is shown on the dash and the high beam comes on automatically and also then goes to dipped beam when another vehicle is seen. so they work fine. and then if I reselect ADB in the menu the headlights just go to dipped beam and the auto symbol disappears.
this is why I think there's a fault somewhere as when ADB is selected it just goes to dipped beam.

mclarenpaul

Post by mclarenpaul » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:44 am

thorfun wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:52 pm
Hi guys. thanks for the responses. I have an HSE I-Pace so the matrix lights are standard on that. I have the option selected in the menu. I have even, while driving at night, selected AHBA and the auto headlight symbol is shown on the dash and the high beam comes on automatically and also then goes to dipped beam when another vehicle is seen. so they work fine. and then if I reselect ADB in the menu the headlights just go to dipped beam and the auto symbol disappears.
this is why I think there's a fault somewhere as when ADB is selected it just goes to dipped beam.
I'll have a look at mine the next time I'm driving in the evening and check my settings. I honestly just leave it as it is. It doesn't dip when another vehicle is coming. It simply shuts off the bulbs to create a 'hole' of darkness around the other vehicle and the rest stays fully illuminated in high-beam. I find it's one of the best features of the car.
I Pace EV400 FE, Corris Grey, options: Oyster leather, 20' wheels, MY19, delivered 12/2018
InControl: S19B|| Telematics: Version 16.2

thorfun

Post by thorfun » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:52 pm

mclarenpaul wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:44 am
I'll have a look at mine the next time I'm driving in the evening and check my settings. I honestly just leave it as it is. It doesn't dip when another vehicle is coming. It simply shuts off the bulbs to create a 'hole' of darkness around the other vehicle and the rest stays fully illuminated in high-beam. I find it's one of the best features of the car.
the 'hole' of darkness around the other vehicles is exactly how I would expect it to work. that's how it was on the Porsche and I loved it!

Matrix headlights are now one of the must have features for me on a new car, it helps with night driving immensely.

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:15 pm

I love mine. At first I used to cringe when sitting behind a car and the adaptive full beam came on illuminating the signposts either side of the car. But then after it happened when I was following my wife and she said she was completely unaware of any change in my lights.

Volkswarren

Post by Volkswarren » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:50 pm

I love this feature too, though it was all disabled on my HSE
HSE, Caesium Blue, 22" 5056 Alloys, Oyster Leather, Active Air Suspension, Cold Pack, Black Pack, Privacy glass and Pano roof. Podpoint Homecharger. Telematics: 16.2 | InControl: S19B_19.40.4-436082

thorfun

Post by thorfun » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:34 pm

Goshdarnit wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:15 pm
I love mine. At first I used to cringe when sitting behind a car and the adaptive full beam came on illuminating the signposts either side of the car. But then after it happened when I was following my wife and she said she was completely unaware of any change in my lights.
do you need to do anything to get them working? is there any visual indication on the display that they're working? i.e an auto-headlight symbol or the like?

my car is booked in at the beginning of August to have this and a few other issues looked at as I'm now assuming it's a fault.

Goshdarnit

Post by Goshdarnit » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:53 pm

When the lights come on you’ll get a green headlamp symbol on the dash cluster (lower right). Next to it will be a green “A”. But there is no indication when the lights are off.

You’ll also get a blue full beam symbol when it switches on the full beam element, but there is nothing to differentiate that symbol from the one you get if you switch on the manual full beam.

Return to “Faults & Technical”