Noisy brakes / groaning noise when pulling away

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar I-Pace
mark135800
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 1:35 pm
Location: UK

Noisy brakes / groaning noise when pulling away

Post by mark135800 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:45 pm

Hi

Wondered if anyone else has experienced a noisy braking system - I think it is the physical brakes, not the regeneration - but hard to tell. And, when pulling away from standstill a sort of "groaning" noise from around the brake pedal area?

Mine has started doing it, so a visit to the dealer will be forthcoming but wanted to see if I was alone with this experience....

Thanks
Delivered - I-Pace First Edition - Corris Grey, Ivory Interior, 22" 5 Spoke Carbon Insert Wheels
Previous - F-Pace 3.0D S


Bart
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 7:25 pm
Location: the Netherlands

Re: Noisy brakes / groaning noise when pulling away

Post by Bart » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:06 pm

mark135800 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:45 pm
Hi

Wondered if anyone else has experienced a noisy braking system - I think it is the physical brakes, not the regeneration - but hard to tell. And, when pulling away from standstill a sort of "groaning" noise from around the brake pedal area?

Mine has started doing it, so a visit to the dealer will be forthcoming but wanted to see if I was alone with this experience....

Thanks
Yes, so do I. It could be because the brakes are used much less than on ICE cars but I thing the cause is:

when the airsuspension raises, while the brakes are still "on" it can give some friction due to smal change in angle between shaft / brakes / airsuspension. Also when somebody exits the car (air-suspension gets lowered), I also experience some "groaning" from the brakes.


DougTheMac
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:50 pm
Location: Suffolk UK

Re: Noisy brakes / groaning noise when pulling away

Post by DougTheMac » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:58 pm

I was thinking of posting on the same topic. Only done <600 miles so far, not sure what is “normal “. I get a bit of a graunching sound on braking slightly hard at very low speeds. It sounds like rusty discs (a noise I used to get a lot on a car that sat unused for long periods). I am assuming it is the friction brakes still bedding in, as they get such little use, and so I would expect it to go away after a while.
So, to those of you who’ve had their cars for a while, is this noise normal when new, and does it go away?
I have noticed any strange noise on pulling away. But yes, raising or lowering the air suspension whilst in Park gives the expected creaks and groans.
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster since 1Mar19
S18D_18.47.5-269316 & 14.2


Simonmac
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:08 pm
Location: Hampshire, UK

Re: Noisy brakes / groaning noise when pulling away

Post by Simonmac » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:59 pm

DougTheMac wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:58 pm
I was thinking of posting on the same topic. Only done <600 miles so far, not sure what is “normal “. I get a bit of a graunching sound on braking slightly hard at very low speeds. It sounds like rusty discs (a noise I used to get a lot on a car that sat unused for long periods). I am assuming it is the friction brakes still bedding in, as they get such little use, and so I would expect it to go away after a while.
I have exactly this noise too. It’s not always but most prevalent at low speed when i brake a little too firmly to stop. Sadly I’ve done 4500 miles and it’s still happening so not sure when it will wear off....


User avatar
Garryjw
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:38 pm
Location: UK

Re: Noisy brakes / groaning noise when pulling away

Post by Garryjw » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:31 pm

Me too. Technician told me to use the brakes more in the first 500 miles.
My company car is a MY19 Firenze Red I-Pace HSE with Black Trim, HUD, Cold Weather Pack and Fog Lights.
Watch my i-Pace adventures on the iPaceOwner YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYIwYg ... 0xkLJjLmNg


voisin
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:49 pm
Location: UK

Re: Noisy brakes / groaning noise when pulling away

Post by voisin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:27 am

Same here, the "groaning" noise. Also the noise (occasionally) after switching from reverse into drive (when trying to park). Only had the car for a day, but it had few miles on it from the previous owner.
I-Pace FE, 20” wheels, S18C_18.37.1, telematics 14.2


Tophe74
Posts: 826
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:21 pm
Location: Haute Savoie/France

Re: Noisy brakes / groaning noise when pulling away

Post by Tophe74 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:07 am

I think it's because EV don't use much physical brakes they still new for long time. Sometimes I have noise but it goes after using them a bit. I almost never use physical brakes but I try to do it more because I noticed that in case of emergency they are not doing well.
I pace FE photon red since 20.10.18


emgf
Posts: 587
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:31 pm
Location: Paris

Re: Noisy brakes / groaning noise when pulling away

Post by emgf » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:53 am

Tophe74 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:07 am
I think it's because EV don't use much physical brakes they still new for long time. Sometimes I have noise but it goes after using them a bit. I almost never use physical brakes but I try to do it more because I noticed that in case of emergency they are not doing well.
They are actually quite efficient : from 100km ( 60 miles ) to 0 in less than 20 meters with 4 passengers on board
SE Yulong White , light oyster interior , 20" Gloss Black , since October 9th 2018


Tophe74
Posts: 826
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:21 pm
Location: Haute Savoie/France

Re: Noisy brakes / groaning noise when pulling away

Post by Tophe74 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:02 pm

Not if they are cold. U have to push the pedal very strong.
I pace FE photon red since 20.10.18


Chewy
Posts: 958
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:46 pm
Location: UK

Re: Noisy brakes / groaning noise when pulling away

Post by Chewy » Mon May 20, 2019 4:55 pm

My brake pedal has become very noisy when pulling away on a downhill. As I slowly lift the pedal (and before the car starts moving), a very loud groaning noise can be heard.
Caesium Blue S. 250mi range on 18” wheels in the Winter. Hoping for 300 miles range when it warms up. S19A-07, 15.2


Post Reply

Return to “Faults & Technical”