Noisy brakes / groaning noise when pulling away

Faults and Technical chat for the Jaguar I-Pace
mark135800

Noisy brakes / groaning noise when pulling away

Post by mark135800 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:45 pm

Hi

Wondered if anyone else has experienced a noisy braking system - I think it is the physical brakes, not the regeneration - but hard to tell. And, when pulling away from standstill a sort of "groaning" noise from around the brake pedal area?

Mine has started doing it, so a visit to the dealer will be forthcoming but wanted to see if I was alone with this experience....

Thanks
Delivered - I-Pace First Edition - Corris Grey, Ivory Interior, 22" 5 Spoke Carbon Insert Wheels
Previous - F-Pace 3.0D S

Bart

Re: Noisy brakes / groaning noise when pulling away

Post by Bart » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:06 pm

mark135800 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:45 pm
Hi

Wondered if anyone else has experienced a noisy braking system - I think it is the physical brakes, not the regeneration - but hard to tell. And, when pulling away from standstill a sort of "groaning" noise from around the brake pedal area?

Mine has started doing it, so a visit to the dealer will be forthcoming but wanted to see if I was alone with this experience....

Thanks
Yes, so do I. It could be because the brakes are used much less than on ICE cars but I thing the cause is:

when the airsuspension raises, while the brakes are still "on" it can give some friction due to smal change in angle between shaft / brakes / airsuspension. Also when somebody exits the car (air-suspension gets lowered), I also experience some "groaning" from the brakes.

DougTheMac

Post by DougTheMac » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:58 pm

I was thinking of posting on the same topic. Only done <600 miles so far, not sure what is “normal “. I get a bit of a graunching sound on braking slightly hard at very low speeds. It sounds like rusty discs (a noise I used to get a lot on a car that sat unused for long periods). I am assuming it is the friction brakes still bedding in, as they get such little use, and so I would expect it to go away after a while.
So, to those of you who’ve had their cars for a while, is this noise normal when new, and does it go away?
I have noticed any strange noise on pulling away. But yes, raising or lowering the air suspension whilst in Park gives the expected creaks and groans.
HSE Silicon Silver Pano Air+AD Oyster ordered 23/9/18 for delivery 1 March 19

Simonmac

Post by Simonmac » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:59 pm

DougTheMac wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:58 pm
I was thinking of posting on the same topic. Only done <600 miles so far, not sure what is “normal “. I get a bit of a graunching sound on braking slightly hard at very low speeds. It sounds like rusty discs (a noise I used to get a lot on a car that sat unused for long periods). I am assuming it is the friction brakes still bedding in, as they get such little use, and so I would expect it to go away after a while.
I have exactly this noise too. It’s not always but most prevalent at low speed when i brake a little too firmly to stop. Sadly I’ve done 4500 miles and it’s still happening so not sure when it will wear off....

Garryjw

Post by Garryjw » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:31 pm

Me too. Technician told me to use the brakes more in the first 500 miles.
My company car is a Firenze Red I-Pace HSE with Black Trim, HUD, Cold Weather Pack and Fog Lights.
Watch my i-Pace adventures on the iPaceOwner YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYIwYg ... 0xkLJjLmNg

Return to “Faults & Technical”