Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Rock Grey Wrapped

9K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  legreg6 
#1 ·
Hello all. Got my brand new (leftover) 2019 HSE 6 weeks ago and was quite unhappy with the metallic black color (all 3 available HSE were black). Terribly fragile paint that would scar from bird dropping after maybe 2 hours. Never seen that before and most definitely not the case with my prior Jag (white F-Type). On top of things, black did not do the car justice and did not flatter the car's amazing curves.
Anyway, ultimately decided to spend yet more money on a wrap. After endless hours of wrap youtube and pics we decided to go with Avery Dennison Rock Grey (quite close but slightly lighter than the famous Nardo grey). Just got the car back today and I am finally truly and madly in love. That color was made for that car and JLR should advertise it that way (my humble opinion). The pictures do not do justice to this color. Sunshine pics (I live in San Diego) show the color completely off with a major blue tint. At sundown it's slightly more true to color but still not quite. Anyway, I am super excited and wanted to share. :D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks stunning. I wish Barasco Gray looked more like that
Have you thought of making the badging on the rear black as well?

The paint is dangerously soft on the I-Pace

#5 ·
That is a very nice colour set especially as all of the non rock grey are black and there's nothing else. It is a very nice combination

#8 ·
Paul J. said:
Utter nonsense about the 'soft' paint ... but it looks good nevertheless.
You've got to be careful about statements like that because different markets have different regulator requirement and it maybe that the parts/materials used in one market are different to that of other markets. This might have the effect whereby the paint is "soft"er in some location and not in others. It might not be the case for paint, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

#11 ·
fa147 said:
Paul J. said:
Utter nonsense about the 'soft' paint ... but it looks good nevertheless.
You've got to be careful about statements like that because different markets have different regulator requirement and it maybe that the parts/materials used in one market are different to that of other markets. This might have the effect whereby the paint is "soft"er in some location and not in others. It might not be the case for paint, but I'm sure you know what I mean.
Same paint, Same factory. :roll:

#14 ·
Paulsouthport said:
That is spectacular. Although I love my black I-Pace I do wholly agree it hides the curves
Aren't people different.
I ordered mine in black. Don't like it in any other colour with that black stripe through the doors.
Don't like fussy paint jobs (sole exception, black or white contrast roof on a 60's Mini Cooper S).
If I were to wrap (or respray) my i-Pace, it would be in BRG like my first car (MGB), a half century ago and that black stripe would go too.

#15 ·
The lettering and the leaper are still chrome but I agree that it would have been nice to black them out. I'll take some pictures that I will post about how the door jam looks like. Simply put, you can pay twice as much and get all of that done as well but most people wouldn't and I didn't, myself. They essentially just wrap 1 cm past what you don't see. I think it's very much a non-issue since my car is black but I could imagine that it would look quite funky if you had a blue or red paint underneath.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.