Jaguar I-Pace Forum banner

Ceramic Coating

10K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Yetiman 
#1 ·
Hope this doesn't contravene the Forum Rules, but I wondered if anybody has re-applied a ceramic coating yet?

Shortly after we got out our I-Pace, I applied two coatings of CQuartz Lite and a top coat of Reload. I've been very happy with the finish and the beading on wet days has been great.

The CQuartz Lite has been on for 6 months now, which is apparently the estimated working life for this entry level coating. It might last a little while longer, as I've topped off the car with Reload from time to time.

I'm thinking of going up to the next level and trying the Cquartz UK version of the coating, which should last longer. As I've got some time on my hands I was going to get on with this whilst the UK restrictions are still in place, especially as I think it will take me a few days to prep the car and apply the new coating.

Has anyone on the Forum done this yet, or got any other thoughts?

A couple of pics of our car - sorry it's boring grey, but we like it!
Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car Tire

We've been plagued with bugs and spiders down here in Cornwall recently. Here's one of the culprits happily applying his own coating - of cobwebs!
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Tread

Any thoughts on the re-application of a ceramic coating would be welcomed.

Kind regards,
Nigel

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I suspect a lot of us are looking for things to do during this lockdown and cleaning the car has got be be better than gardening or decorating! I applied some ceramic coating when we got our car last July with some ceramic snake oil that I purchased in the US. Now I think our I Pace was delivered with a fabulous paint job and miles better than our previous BMW. I attach a photo of the car after applying the snake oil and have included the cat to show the quality of the polish. The car is still very shiny and the water still beading well so I will not be bothering redoing the coating anytime soon.

On your photo of the spider, do I spy some scratches on the paintwork caused by someone parking by ear or are we to believe it is the work of the spider?

Attachments

#3 ·
"Boring Grey?" I don't think that's how "Corris" is pronounced. I see you also ordered your spider in "Sienna Tan". Great choice! :D

#4 ·
Quakered said:
I suspect a lot of us are looking for things to do during this lockdown and cleaning the car has got be be better than gardening or decorating! I applied some ceramic coating when we got our car last July with some ceramic snake oil that I purchased in the US. Now I think our I Pace was delivered with a fabulous paint job and miles better than our previous BMW. I attach a photo of the car after applying the snake oil and have included the cat to show the quality of the polish. The car is still very shiny and the water still beading well so I will not be bothering redoing the coating anytime soon.

On your photo of the spider, do I spy some scratches on the paintwork caused by someone parking by ear or are we to believe it is the work of the spider?
Hi Quakered,

Your Jag looks fabulous!

I'm pleased to report that what indeed does look like scratches are in fact only cobwebs! I must admit I looked twice when I saw it.

We're really pleased with our car too, and the ceramic glaze has, so far, lived up to expectations.

We're so pleased with the entry level product, that I'm happy to give the next level a go.

Kind regards,
Nigel

#5 ·
Hi Nigel,

Delighted to read that it is only your pet arachnid making imitation scratches on your car with his web.

I would not want to put you off a bit if heavy "detailing" during lockdown but I am not sure your car will look any better after an application of another, more expensive, layer. I believe all the ceremic coatings are applying SiO2 to the car's paint so am not sure what the more expensive offers delivered other than advertising revenue and wider margins for the retailers.

Having blown £70k on the car I feel it is important to show I am being sensible in other areas of my motoring costs!

#6 ·
Quakered said:
Hi Nigel,

Delighted to read that it is only your pet arachnid making imitation scratches on your car with his web.

I would not want to put you off a bit if heavy "detailing" during lockdown but I am not sure your car will look any better after an application of another, more expensive, layer. I believe all the ceremic coatings are applying SiO2 to the car's paint so am not sure what the more expensive offers delivered other than advertising revenue and wider margins for the retailers.

Having blown £70k on the car I feel it is important to show I am being sensible in other areas of my motoring costs!
Yes - I know what you mean, but the product that is currently on does have a relatively short lifespan, so I'm happy to give the next level up a go.

For us the I-Pace was an expensive purchase, and I'd like to keep it looking good for as long as I can, so I don't mind spending a bit on the snake oil!

We're really happy with our I-Pace - hope you are with yours, your car really does look good!

all the best,
Nigel

#7 ·
I can confirm we are delighted with our I Pace as it is, by far, the best car we have ever owned. I had rather fancied owing a Jaguar since seeing my first E Type as a child living in Paris in the early 60s. Also more recently, I thought an electric car would be fun - now I have two ticks on life's do-list with one car! I suspect most owners see them as "expensive"! As an old pensioner, I feel I have reached the point where if I don't start wasting my money then the kids and taxman will.

Another approach to justifying spending was offered by a friend. We were at a social gathering with a third friend who is very seriously rich. He was complaining that he and his wife had to fly out to see his daughter living in LA and he hated the thought of the flight. We both responded that as long as you are flying in the correct part of the 'plane, we could not see the problem. He was shocked that we would spend our own money on flying business for leisure when friend said that at our age anything you spend now gets a 40% discount from the government in reduced death duties. Every flight since to see his daughter has been in Club World and he agrees that it makes long haul flying pleasant again. We have not had the heart to tell him we were referring to First....

#8 ·
Quakered said:
As an old pensioner, I feel I have reached the point where if I don't start wasting my money then the kids and taxman will.
Yep. That's the argument I use when people give a sharp intake of breath when I tell them how much my car cost

Quakered said:
Another approach to justifying spending was offered by a friend. We were at a social gathering with a third friend who is very seriously rich. He was complaining that he and his wife had to fly out to see his daughter living in LA and he hated the thought of the flight. We both responded that as long as you are flying in the correct part of the 'plane, we could not see the problem. He was shocked that we would spend our own money on flying business for leisure when friend said that at our age anything you spend now gets a 40% discount from the government in reduced death duties. Every flight since to see his daughter has been in Club World and he agrees that it makes long haul flying pleasant again. We have not had the heart to tell him we were referring to First....
When I used to fly... remember those golden days... and I went to the US West Coast on my dime, I'd fly out in Club World and back in First. I had to put up with cattle class when flying for work so I treated myself when I could.

#9 ·
I worry about the words "when I used to fly". I have to confess that our retirement plans are to fly as far as we can for as long as we can! If we get too old for long haul then it will be back to flying around Europe. When too old to fly then it will be cruising but hopefully we will be when we are in our 90s.

#10 ·
Quakered said:
I worry about the words "when I used to fly". I have to confess that our retirement plans are to fly as far as we can for as long as we can! If we get too old for long haul then it will be back to flying around Europe. When too old to fly then it will be cruising but hopefully we will be when we are in our 90s.
Good Plan. 👍

#11 ·
#12 ·
I had Ceramic Pro done to mine when I got it. This has to be done by a professional, but I learned more about this after I got 2 layers applied.
These "lite coats" are not really durable and need constant reapplication.

I will be stripping my current coating and using CS-II which actually last 3 years

Attachments

#13 ·
I think the car needs to be chemical cleaned before adding new coating. Not sure what a chemical clean is... My car is coated by professionals last year, and this year they had to chemical clean it and put on a new layer of coating. It's a bit expensive thought, last year it cost about 1k£ and this year about 200£ plus any fixing on the paint from rockfall.

#14 ·
PS702 said:
I had Ceramic Pro done to mine when I got it. This has to be done by a professional, but I learned more about this after I got 2 layers applied.

I will be stripping my current coating and using CS-II which actually last 3 years
Hi PS702,

Your blue I-Pace looks great.

Having the luxury of time, I went ahead and updated the ceramic coating on our I-Pace moving up from CQuartz Lite to CQuartz UK, which is supposedly good for a couple of years.

I took my time and prepped the car with a good wash followed by both physical and chemical decontamination. I couldn't believe the muck that came off the paintwork from a supposedly clean car!

A thorough polish and then two coats of the ceramic. Finished off with a top coat of Gliss. All in all it took a couple of days, with a further 4 days curing in the garage. Our first outing will be tomorrow, when we go for our weekly grocery shopping.

I had thought about getting the coating done professionally, but there aren't any accredited detailers down here in Cornwall. I wasn't really keen on having somebody else monkying with our car, and keeping it for a couple of days.

The only thing I haven't done, but might do later are the barrels, but my good lady wife is pretty adept with the wheel brush, so they are kept pretty clean.

Would recommend this process to anyone who is thinking of going down the ceramic route.

The old CQuartz Lite was holding up very well, but as it had been on for six months, it was time to change it especially as the car isnt being used much at the moment.

When you come to do your car, I should imagine that the process would be similar, but you will want to use the CS II products for the prepping.

Hope this is helpful for anyone thinking about reapplying a ceramic coat.

Kind regards,
Nigel

#15 ·
NigelC said:
PS702 said:

Hi PS702,

Having the luxury of time, I went ahead and updated the ceramic coating on our I-Pace moving up from CQuartz Lite to CQuartz UK, which is supposedly good for a couple of years.

I took my time and prepped the car with a good wash followed by both physical and chemical decontamination. I couldn't believe the muck that came off the paintwork from a supposedly clean car!

A thorough polish and then two coats of the ceramic. Finished off with a top coat of Gliss. All in all it took a couple of days, with a further 4 days curing in the garage. Our first outing will be tomorrow, when we go for our weekly grocery shopping.

I had thought about getting the coating done professionally, but there aren't any accredited detailers down here in Cornwall. I wasn't really keen on having somebody else monkying with our car, and keeping it for a couple of days.

The only thing I haven't done, but might do later are the barrels, but my good lady wife is pretty adept with the wheel brush, so they are kept pretty clean.

Would recommend this process to anyone who is thinking of going down the ceramic route.

The old CQuartz Lite was holding up very well, but as it had been on for six months, it was time to change it especially as the car isnt being used much at the moment.

When you come to do your car, I should imagine that the process would be similar, but you will want to use the CS II products for the prepping.

Kind regards,
Nigel
The paint prep is crucial as a ceramic coating is a sacrificial layer of clear coat.
My I-Pace clear coat is very soft as Imagine all are. I needed heavy cutting, polishing before applying the ceramic coating.
The paint should be as close to perfect as possible before application. It's why I highly suggest a pro to do it

#16 ·
PS702 said:
NigelC said:
PS702 said:

Hi PS702,

Kind regards,
Nigel
The paint prep is crucial as a ceramic coating is a sacrificial layer of clear coat.
My I-Pace clear coat is very soft as Imagine all are. I needed heavy cutting, polishing before applying the ceramic coating.
The paint should be as close to perfect as possible before application. It's why I highly suggest a pro to do it
Hi PS702,

Agree with you that getting a pro to do the coating would indeed be preferable. Unfortunately there aren't any accredited ones in my area.

Our I-Pace had only just gone over 4,000 miles so I followed the CarPro directions and found that we only needed a good polish rather than a heavy cut. We had one tiny chip which was rectified prior to the new coating.

I am very pleased with the results though, and will try to maintain the ceramic coating as best I can.

Kind regards,
Nigel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.